Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Trading in my hilux for a 76 series land cruiser. Good idea?

Ahoy Rob

This is my first post on the forum

I feel like I have something to contribute because I too have just bought my first 4x4 and I too chose a Land Cruiser 76, a 2008 model 4.2D donkey with 195k on the clock and a full service history with Toyota.

I bought it from We Buy Cars last week and paid R390k with their 2 year warranty. OUTsurance told me that the book value is R330k odd so I paid over book, but that’s expected in today’s climate.

Knowing next to nothing about 4x4’s let alone Cruisers, I spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos and reading through this forum prior to making my purchase and learning what to look for and what to watch out for. I was set on finding a vehicle that was stock standard without any mods so that I had a clean slate to work from.

I was fortunate to have found my vehicle at We Buy Cars in Kuilsriver (Cape Town) after only having been on the hunt for 2 to 3 weeks. Before pulling the trigger, I took her to Snymans and Joubert was kind enough to take her for a test drive for me and to do a quick inspection before telling me that she looked really clean and gave me the thumbs up.

Now that I’m a LC 76 owner, the bug has bitten me and I’m planning all of the mods that I’d like to do from an ARB bull bar to a brake upgrade to a suspension upgrade… it doesn’t stop and it certainly isn’t cheap. I’m a fisherman and a boater and I always thought that my other hobbies were expensive until I entered this world!

I haven’t looked back and I get giddy every time I sit in my “truck” and take her for a drive. Looking forward to my first boat launch in the coming weeks.

Best of luck with your search and don’t rush it. The right Cruiser will come along!

Syfret
    Last edited by Terfys; 2022/06/23 at 01:03 PM.