Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Trading in my hilux for a 76 series land cruiser. Good idea?

Hello all, my name is Rob and I’m 22 and own a 2.5 srx hilux and I have a burning passion for overlanding and traveling Africa. I currently have a fairly kitted hilux (long range tank, aluminium canopy, bull bar, etc.). I am considering trading in my hilux for a 76 series land cruiser as it is my dream car but I don’t know if it is the best idea! As it would have to be my daily driver and I most likely wouldn’t get a new car for a good couple of years. I would appreciate any and all suggestions, guidance, and thought !

kind regards,
    Rob

Default Re: Trading in my hilux for a 76 series land cruiser. Good idea?

Hi Rob

Welcome first of all.

I can very much relate to your desire, 4 months ago I exchanged my very well kitted Hilux for a 79 V8, also very well kitted. But then it is my 8th Cruiser.

You do not specify which model 76, the 4.2 donkey or V8? This makes a massive difference, performance and price.

So, two major factors here to consider, overall cost and living the dream. The 76 overall cost (fuel and service) will be substantially more than a Hilux. If finances (especially at 22 ) is not an issue then the 76 for sure. I daily my 79, the 76 will be less of and issue as it is quite a bit shorter and more maneuverable.

The 76 vs a Hilux is a a much tougher vehicle and will last way longer. Many things to consider though, a comparison spreadsheet with advantages and disadvantages will help in the decision making.

Good luck
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    Current: 2018 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play , 2018 Land Cruiser 79, V8 Boet - You monster, you beauty!!!
    Bushlapa Ratel 1757. Ja man!
    Past Cruisers: 2013 200 4.6 Petrol V8, 2014 79 V8 DC - I was a fool to sell you. 2001 105 4.5 EFI. 2013 FJ Cruiser. 1996 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto. 1989 Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto (UK).
    Past Jeeps: 2001 Jeep TJ 4L - modified to the extreme, 2006 Jeep Cherokee - platkar
    First 4x4: 1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - we had endless fun!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Post Re: Trading in my hilux for a 76 series land cruiser. Good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Hi Rob

Welcome first of all.

I can very much relate to your desire, 4 months ago I exchanged my very well kitted Hilux for a 79 V8, also very well kitted. But then it is my 8th Cruiser.

You do not specify which model 76, the 4.2 donkey or V8? This makes a massive difference, performance and price.

So, two major factors here to consider, overall cost and living the dream. The 76 overall cost (fuel and service) will be substantially more than a Hilux. If finances (especially at 22 ) is not an issue then the 76 for sure. I daily my 79, the 76 will be less of and issue as it is quite a bit shorter and more maneuverable.

The 76 vs a Hilux is a a much tougher vehicle and will last way longer. Many things to consider though, a comparison spreadsheet with advantages and disadvantages will help in the decision making.

Good luck
    Thanks so much for the advice! Greatly appreciated! I would obviously love to get the V8 which I have found a few but they are very pricy and not too sure how to gauge the mileage of the car as I’ve found one with 216000km on the clock and test drive it, but don’t know how long the engine will last. Am I wrong assuming this is too high for a cruiser? The 4.2 donkey is realistically more attainable if I were to do so but again I am not sure even with the lack of power I could count this out as an option but I guess this is why I am here asking this question. Would it be advisable to save for a V8 or go for the 4.2?

kind regards
    Rob

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Ellison For This Useful Post:

Hi Rob (nice to meet a namesake!)

Dirk's advice is based on experience, so I think you would be well to consider his opinions!

To me (as an older bloke with a son who is older than you!), I think a lot depends on your particular mindset and intentions. Not knowing too much about 76 or 79 cruisers, from what I've seen they are incredibly capable vehicles, although I believe comfort takes a back seat (pardon the pun). If it's serious overlanding you're considering to faraway places, my advice would be to opt for reliability over "performance"; in which case the "donkey" seems to make the most sense. From what I've read they are virtually indestructible, which is an attribute you may appreciate when far away from civilization. And the mileage is not hugely important, the engines (and chassis) seem to last forever.

If, like my son, you still hanker after a bit of performance and "presence", then you may want to consider the V8; but obviously that will come at a cost. To me, it depends on your mindset and aspirations. And your financial means...
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ellison View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice! Greatly appreciated! I would obviously love to get the V8 which I have found a few but they are very pricy and not too sure how to gauge the mileage of the car as I’ve found one with 216000km on the clock and test drive it, but don’t know how long the engine will last. Am I wrong assuming this is too high for a cruiser? The 4.2 donkey is realistically more attainable if I were to do so but again I am not sure even with the lack of power I could count this out as an option but I guess this is why I am here asking this question. Would it be advisable to save for a V8 or go for the 4.2?

kind regards
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

The 4.2 donkey is renowned for obtaining excessively high mileage and as they have been around for so long has a standing reputation as super reliable. The V8 is much newer although there are a number already past the 500Kkm mark. Thus I would rate both as highly reliable past the 216Kkm.

The challenge comes in how to gauge if you are buying a gem or a lemon. Full service history at a reputable service centre is just one key factor, condition of vehicle, especially if looking underneath to see if it had a hard life. See if you can check the VIN number at Toyota to see if it had major repairs. Be very careful with power modifications, some do it with shortcuts, which could ruin a budget very quickly, especially the V8. Don't even consider a 4.2 with a Safari or other make turbo conversion, stay away.

Not sure what to make of the current crazy high second hand prices, but gut feeling is it will drop in the near future (+18 months as a guess, but who knows). Perhaps a 4.2 as a start if your heart desire a 76 and once the prices come down then upgrade to the V8. That is if you can live with the slowness of the 4.2. Otherwise wait and see if the prices drop and save in the mean time. Options options

Good luck.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    Current: 2018 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play , 2018 Land Cruiser 79, V8 Boet - You monster, you beauty!!!
    Bushlapa Ratel 1757. Ja man!
    Past Cruisers: 2013 200 4.6 Petrol V8, 2014 79 V8 DC - I was a fool to sell you. 2001 105 4.5 EFI. 2013 FJ Cruiser. 1996 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto. 1989 Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto (UK).
    Past Jeeps: 2001 Jeep TJ 4L - modified to the extreme, 2006 Jeep Cherokee - platkar
    First 4x4: 1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - we had endless fun!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

As mentioned above, if finances is not an issue, go for it.
    We have two 76's in our household we daily. an 4.2 and the v8.
    You don't have to start off with a v8, but be careful of an 4.2 with a turbo on it. I wouldn't trust it.
    And yes service records and non abused will be what you are looking for. Both the v8 and 4.2 are pretty much bullet proof if they have been looked after so high milage is not too much of a negative.
    2 A 2 Quit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Burger For This Useful Post:

Howzit Rob. Super cool to see that there are some other ‘lighties’ who enjoy this forum. I have seen your account as well as the “Lion Overlanding” one on instagram a few times from Robyn’s stories and your posts. My old man and hers are best mates from way back.

Anyway, back to your question. I am also a youngster with very little experience compared to the gentleman who have already responded above and I’m sure will post below too. I too love the 70’s series cruisers with the only difference being that I am a 79 kind of guy. The latest addition to our family is a 2015 79 V8. I did plenty of reading and research on the 4.2 vs 4.0 V6 (which you don’t get in a 76 series in SA) vs 4.5 V8 and this is what I found:

The 4.2 Pros:
    -Bulletproof engine that has been around for years.
    -Will do north of 500k KM’s if maintained.
    -Simpler and cheaper to service than the V8.
    -Is a great crawler at low RPM.
    -Is a cheaper initial purchase than the V8.
    -Is used by many around africa and farmers swear by them.

The 4.2 Cons:
    -Is a proper donkey.
    -Towing with it will be a slow process.
    -Overtaking and other highway obstacles will have to be planned much more than with the V8.
    -Performance upgrades will be very limited down the line if at some stage you have an itch for more oomph!
    -The fuel consumption seems to be worse than the V8.

The 4.5 V8:
    -Is a cruiser so will have high mileage reliability if we’ll looked after.
    -Has sufficient power in stock form.
    -Responds extremely well to performance upgrades.
    -Tows so much easier than the 4.2 and requires much less thought when overtaking.
    -Journeys will be quicker if you want them to be.
    -In certain situations where you find yourself needing oomph, that V8 will supply all you need.
    -When loaded up and if you decide to put bigger tyres etc you won’t feel like you have to flog it to get it to move at the desired pace.
    -That V8 zost sound is beautiful.
    -Longer range than the 4.2.

4.5 V8 cons:
    -Services are more expensive.
    -It has more tech and is less common in deep Africa so you will find it more challenging to get repairs if needed.
    -The engine obviously is more technologically advanced so with that comes potential issues like being more fussy with fuel from sketchy sources.
    -The initial purchase price is more hefty.
    -The 4.2 is more proven and I would say more bulletproof than it’s V8 counterpart.

Pros of both:
    -They are cruisers and will last forever if maintained.
    -They are formidable offroad.
    -They hold their value very well.
    -So on and so on

Cons of both:
    -Cash. They will use more fuel than the hilux, cost more in services and be a large capital outlay.
    -They will be less comfortable as a daily.

I think the financial side is the big thing. If you can afford one then go for it. If I had the choice between a newer 4.2 or the V8. I would go V8 all day. Just make sure it is a clean one. When I was looking there were some vehicles that looked 2 years old and others looked really abused yet the abused one looked ‘Cooler’ and was put up for more. I doubt this has helped with your decision But when I saw a familiar name I thought I had to give my 2 cents worth. Especially since I was recently in similar shoes. All the best with your choice boet! Let us know how it goes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adrian G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian G View Post
    Howzit Rob. Super cool to see that there are some other ‘lighties’ who enjoy this forum. I have seen your account as well as the “Lion Overlanding” one on instagram a few times from Robyn’s stories and your posts. My old man and hers are best mates from way back.

Anyway, back to your question. I am also a youngster with very little experience compared to the gentleman who have already responded above and I’m sure will post below too. I too love the 70’s series cruisers with the only difference being that I am a 79 kind of guy. The latest addition to our family is a 2015 79 V8. I did plenty of reading and research on the 4.2 vs 4.0 V6 (which you don’t get in a 76 series in SA) vs 4.5 V8 and this is what I found:

The 4.2 Pros:

The 4.2 Cons:
    -Is a proper donkey.
    -Overtaking and other highway obstacles will have to be planned much more than with the V8.
    -Performance upgrades will be very limited down the line if at some stage you have an itch for more oomph!

The 4.5 V8:
    -Tows so much easier than the 4.2 and requires much less thought when overtaking.
    -In certain situations where you find yourself needing oomph, that V8 will supply all you need.
    -When loaded up and if you decide to put bigger tyres etc you won’t feel like you have to flog it to get it to move at the desired pace.

4.5 V8 cons:
    -It has more tech and is less common in deep Africa so you will find it more challenging to get repairs if needed.
    -The engine obviously is more technologically advanced so with that comes potential issues like being more fussy with fuel from sketchy sources.
    -The 4.2 is more proven and I would say more bulletproof than it’s V8 counterpart.

Pros of both:
    -So on and so on

Cons of both:
    -Cash. They will use more fuel than the hilux, cost more in services and be a large capital outlay.

I think the financial side is the big thing. If you can afford one then go for it. If I had the choice between a newer 4.2 or the V8. I would go V8 all day. Just make sure it is a clean one. When I was looking there were some vehicles that looked 2 years old and others looked really abused yet the abused one looked ‘Cooler’ and was put up for more. I doubt this has helped with your decision But when I saw a familiar name I thought I had to give my 2 cents worth. Especially since I was recently in similar shoes. All the best with your choice boet! Let us know how it goes.
    What’s up Adrian,

Thanks so much for the insight and advice! I highly appreciate it and has been super helpful and definitely has given me some food for thought! I definitely will take all of this into consideration!
    Hope to meet you some time and thanks again!

Kind regards,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Burger View Post
    As mentioned above, if finances is not an issue, go for it.
    We have two 76's in our household we daily. an 4.2 and the v8.
    You don't have to start off with a v8, but be careful of an 4.2 with a turbo on it. I wouldn't trust it.
    And yes service records and non abused will be what you are looking for. Both the v8 and 4.2 are pretty much bullet proof if they have been looked after so high milage is not too much of a negative.
    Hi Andre,

Thank you so much for the advice! I have heard that as well about the 4.2 and definitely will be on the look out for just that.

Kind regards,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Hi Rob,

The 4.2 donkey is renowned for obtaining excessively high mileage and as they have been around for so long has a standing reputation as super reliable. The V8 is much newer although there are a number already past the 500Kkm mark. Thus I would rate both as highly reliable past the 216Kkm.

The challenge comes in how to gauge if you are buying a gem or a lemon. Full service history at a reputable service centre is just one key factor, condition of vehicle, especially if looking underneath to see if it had a hard life. See if you can check the VIN number at Toyota to see if it had major repairs. Be very careful with power modifications, some do it with shortcuts, which could ruin a budget very quickly, especially the V8. Don't even consider a 4.2 with a Safari or other make turbo conversion, stay away.

Not sure what to make of the current crazy high second hand prices, but gut feeling is it will drop in the near future (+18 months as a guess, but who knows). Perhaps a 4.2 as a start if your heart desire a 76 and once the prices come down then upgrade to the V8. That is if you can live with the slowness of the 4.2. Otherwise wait and see if the prices drop and save in the mean time. Options options

Good luck.
    Hi DC,

thanks so much for the insight, this definitely will be what I look for when checking out options! I think I might need to be a bit patient and hope the prices come down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Hi Rob (nice to meet a namesake!)

Dirk's advice is based on experience, so I think you would be well to consider his opinions!

To me (as an older bloke with a son who is older than you!), I think a lot depends on your particular mindset and intentions. Not knowing too much about 76 or 79 cruisers, from what I've seen they are incredibly capable vehicles, although I believe comfort takes a back seat (pardon the pun). If it's serious overlanding you're considering to faraway places, my advice would be to opt for reliability over "performance"; in which case the "donkey" seems to make the most sense. From what I've read they are virtually indestructible, which is an attribute you may appreciate when far away from civilization. And the mileage is not hugely important, the engines (and chassis) seem to last forever.

If, like my son, you still hanker after a bit of performance and "presence", then you may want to consider the V8; but obviously that will come at a cost. To me, it depends on your mindset and aspirations. And your financial means...
    Hi Rob,

Nice to meet you too! Thanks so much for your reply!
    That's definitely something I need to decide. I am not too concerned with too much comfort and also not too concerned about performance as that comes with a price

Thanks so much again!

Kind regards
    Rob

I would not easily consider a second hand high mileage V8 for touring in Africa, from a maintenance point of view. Getting parts, quality of diesel, etc.

On the 1Hz you need to change oil more, but for the rest you should not have hassles. Most of the time you would anyway drive at speeds that will suit the 1Hz.
    Last edited by JLK; 2022/06/15 at 01:11 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Unless I've missed it, nobody mentioned fuel consumption.
    You said it will be your daily, so I guess it all depends on how far you have to commute every day.
    Diesel aint getting cheaper and as you add the mods they get heavier on diesel.

A family member lives 6 km from work and commutes with his 79 by choice, he has much more comfortable lighter on fuel options as well but prefers the 79.
    He however often say if he lived say 30 km or more from work, then there is no way he would have used the 79, and that was even before our fuel price going crazy the last 6 months.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

Before the 76 Series V8 I owned a 4.2 76 Series. I loved the 4.2, there was nothing wrong with it, hell, I even kitted the V8 to look exactly like the 4.2. The deal breaker however was one day towing my Conqueror across the Soutpansberge from Louis Trichard direction Musina. When a truck drove past me on a uphill, I told my wife, dis nou genoeg, ek gaan ’n V8 koop… the rest is history. When I bought the 4.2 I told myself that the V8 is an overkill and that I’ll never need one, man was I wrong.

This is just my experience. What’s been said before this post makes a lot of sense and should be taken into consideration, also, the 76 is not my daily driver, for that I use a much more economical 2.8 Fortuner.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76SW 4.5D V8
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8GD-6 4x4
    Conqueror Companion

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

There is a 2006 4.2 up for grabs on WBC. I know people have there reservations about them and I understand why but looks like it’s not too bad at the price. R350k with 183k KM and a full service history.

Correction. It’s a 2007.
    Last edited by Adrian G; 2022/06/16 at 06:13 PM.

Let me put it this way:

A 70 series is:

-Crap to park anywhere besides a huge open field( maybe the 76 is slightly better, but can't be much)
    -far from comfortable & quiet on tar roads
    - expensive to live with, both fuel & the endless amount of accessories you talk yourself into getting.
    - not the cheapest on services
    - frustrating at times with some manufacturing decisions( only 1 cup holder, narrower rear diff)

Would I buy one? Hell yes, I intend to buy one in the near future.

Would I have it as my daily? Probably not if I lived in a city. I did daily a single cab V6 for a year.

A cruiser is happiest on a gravel road that I can tell you, where it feels stiff and cumbersome on tar, it becomes stable and smooth on gravel.
    Current: 2017 Toyota Prado VX 4.0L V6
    Previous:
    '19 Legend 50 D/C auto 4x4 - Did not get a name.
    06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

My 5 cents' worth: I bought a new 76 V8 Station wagon a year ago, previous vehicle a Amarok. I now have 30000km on the clock and am as happy as can be. It is my daily driver and I have made peace with the fuel consumption right from the outset. I have made some mods/upgrades, but minimal. Engine wise I did install a De Graaf exhaust system, nothing else, also kept suspension standard. I drive to the Western Cape every 3rd month from Gauteng and a round trip averages about 3000 kms. I enjoy the power of the V8 and it is very comfortable. What I really like about the 76 vs a 79 (or even a LC 200) is the maneuverability. It ticks all the boxes on my wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian G View Post

The 4.2 Pros:

The 4.2 Cons:
    -Is a proper donkey.

The 4.5 V8:

4.5 V8 cons:

Pros of both:
    -So on and so on

Cons of both:

That is a very well written post. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

We all started in a 4.2 I think Rob should too.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

Here is my 2sents worth of personal experience and my own opinion
    I Own both the 76 and the 79s. The 76 is much easier to live with as an daily compared to the 79.

If the 76 is an 4.2, go and test drive it. The reason is that not all 4.2s are equal in "feel". Some 4.2s really has more oomph then others.

The comfort or lack thereof is really not that bad on the 76. Even with standard suspension. A person gets used to it, and the HUGE smile you will have when driving it makes up for the "discomfort". There are so many after market suspension upgrades that can make that 76 drive like a Rolls.

The only real disadvantages of the 76 is that the fuel consumption will be about 40% more then the Hilux. If you tow, or can afford an V8, get it, as you will never regret it, otherwise the 4.2 is a great starter step.

(For any trip) I will chose the LC76 9 out of 10 times, even with a new 2022 Prado 2.8 to chose from. The 76 is an epic vehicle with no equal!! Period!!
    2022 LC Prado
    2021 FJ Cruiser
    2021 LC79 SC
    2019 LC76

Hi Rob, you started off using the overlanding word rather than comfort, fuel consumption, and operating costs and I believe the thread has produced very realistic numbers and opinions on that. I have a 76V8, have left stock standard mechanically and have added bits like bumpers, drawers and roof rack, along with a few softer touches inside. Done 95,000km since new. So it has gained weight, softening that bullet proof suspension a bit and so improving gravel road comfort-although my wife hates it with a passion because of its suspension. You are young, so it will be no problem. Overlanding thoughts-you will have less effective payload and space inside than a bakkie, but it is dust free! The roof rack makes up for it though. The V8 has a 130l tank meaning I seldom have to carry tanks-I do when towing. For me, the 76 has a feature which cannot be described in a spec sheet, and that is the feeling of absolute bullet-proofness when in the rough stuff. Heavy trailer behind, both differential locks engaged, nothing appears insurmountable-or at least nothing that I have been brave enough to tackle!

You are not comparing apples with apples when looking at a Hilux and a 70 series. One is a bakkie, one is a truck. Both are good vehicles. Know that the 76 is going to cost more to buy and own than a Hilux. No doubt about it. 4.2 or V8. There is a price to owning a 70 series, and whether it is worth it is a matter of choice. For me, it has absolutely been worth it. The wife would prefer a Prado...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast