Default Some info please best area s migration

Hello to you all,

Hope you all doing well and started your travels again.

After 2 years of no african wilderness we are looking for a short trip to Maasai Mara Np and the Triangle area this september.
    Due to health problems at the moment camping is no option this year.
    What do you think is a good area to book the accommodation to have the best change to see ( if we are very lucky ) migration crossings?
    Accommodation near the Talek area.
    Accommodation outside the Oloololo gate or the Keekorok area?

We love the triangle area because less vehicles but now looking for advice where the best crossing point are?
    We have T4A

Thank you

Default Re: Some info please best area s migration

That’s good news that you are planning another trip to the wonderful Mara. It’s not good news that you have health problems.

Here is a link to the map of the main crossing points. https://www.maratriangle.org/visit/maps

There is only one lodge in the Mara Triangle itself. That is the Mara Serena. As you can see from the above map, five of the main crossing points are within spitting distance of the Mara Serena. https://www.serenahotels.com/mara

Little Governors is accessed from the Triangle side although the camp itself is on the east side of the river. https://www.governorscamp.com/safari...overnors-camp/

There is also the very expensive Angama Mara perched on the ridge overlooking the Triangle. They have their own private road down the escarpment into the Triangle. https://angama.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobCh...SAAEgIUwvD_BwE

I would recommend staying on the Triangle side as crossings are more regulated and orderly than on the “other” side.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2022/06/14 at 05:38 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hello Wazungu,

I was hoping you would reply.
    Thanks and as allways very usefull info, also the maps are great.
    The accommodation we are looking at are more budget type otherwise the trip will be too expensive for us.
    But when I read your reaction I think we will go with a accommodation just outside the Oloololo gate and drive in the Triangle area.
    Do you think half of september is too late for seeing river crossings?

I am intrigued as to what accommodation you are planning on “just outside the Oloololo gate”. Please elaborate.

The herds move as and when - there is no fixed schedule and no year is the same. In 2021 the herds remained in the Kenyan Maasai Mara until much later than usual and some were still there in October. One day, the plains outside one’s camp can be black with wildebeest and the next morning they have gone to another area. They are grazing animals and, when they have eaten out that area, they move. But in September, you ought to still find herds somewhere in the Mara - it is a vast swathe of Africa.

Do please remember that there is a lot more to the Mara and the migration than river crossings (exciting though they are).
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2022/06/15 at 12:56 AM.

Hello Wazungu, thanks for the reaction.

Sounds as still a good time, we go ahead with our bookings.
    A few years ago we slept at Mara River Camp a 15 minute from the gate and did our own self drives, I think we book that one again, was a good camp and good food.
    There is also Julia s camp in The Masaai Mara but that s in the busy Talek area and there is Keekrok Lodge but that s too big for us.

Thanks and have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia000 View Post
    Hello Wazungu, thanks for the reaction.

Sounds as still a good time, we go ahead with our bookings.
    A few years ago we slept at Mara River Camp a 15 minute from the gate and did our own self drives, I think we book that one again, was a good camp and good food.
    There is also Julia s camp in The Masaai Mara but that s in the busy Talek area and there is Keekrok Lodge but that s too big for us.

Thanks and have a good day
    I wouldn’t recommend being near the Talek gate. Keekorok is too far to the east and away from the river - nice though it is. Have you checked the prices of the Mara Serena?

I started with that one because of the location but too much for us.

I presume this time you are not self-driving from Nairobi to the Mara. Are you flying from Nairobi or being transferred by road to Mara River Camp?
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2022/06/16 at 01:02 AM.

We self drive to the park and game drive in the park, happy!!! I m just not able at the moment to do the rooftop camping in the nature ( which i love and prefer very much)
    I had some emails today, I think it is a go.... Haha, very happy.
    It would be strange not to camp after all our memorable trips of nature camping in the parks all over Africa ( best moments of my life ) but i m so happy to go back to Africa and the nature.............
    Follow up 4 x 4 forum ... maybe not for interessed for you all self camping drivers but maybe I can tell you something about our game drives and you all can help us with tips and routes ?
    A few days to think if I want / can do a longer trip .... Thinking of Ambo and the Tsavos ( these 3 are new for us ) Come back about that one..
    I m searching for the long tripreport from Stan but can t find it annymore,can you help me with a link about the Kenya part?
    Thanks

Sylvia the link is at the bottom - the signature - of all my posts.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Hello Stan,

Thank you very much very helpfull

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sylvia000 For This Useful Post:

Hi Sylvia,
    last September we stayed at the Aruba Mara camp just outside the Talek gate. If you want to see cats as we did, I would recommend staying there for a few nights (budget) and hire a Masai guide that will be guiding you with your car. We did that for three days and had amazing sightings. The downside is the many cars and mayhem at crossings.
    then we spent 5 nights in the Mara Triangle in a ground tent. Have you considered a ground tent rather than a roof top tent? Our equipment wasn’t very good, as far as mattresses go, but I liked sleeping in the tent at Eluai and Iseiah, also Oloololo is a nice spot but we did not sleep there. Problem is that any toilet is a squat toilet and cold showers only available at Oloololo.
    Maybe your best bet is staying at Mara River camp since you know it already. There is also Mara Siria Tented camp a little closer to the gate.
    Along the fence of Tsavo East we stayed at the Red Elephant lodge. Wonderful spot with a lit up waterhole.
    Amboseli at Kimana Gate has a few bandas inside the park and a few budget options just outside the park. We stayed in a very simple hut at Kimana Community campsite which also has camping spots.
    below is my TR on safaritalk in case you want to see how it went for us last year.
    Hope your health issue will be resolved soon. Take care and please let us know what you are deciding to do and what you saw in the Mara. All the best! Katrin

https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/217...ember-16-2021/https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/217...ember-16-2021/
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

Hello Kalica,

Thank you for your helpfull reply.
    A couple of years ago we also went to the Masaai Mara and the Triangle.
    At that time there were no migrations.
    We also liked the Triangle site much more then the way to busy talek area.
    This time we will be sleeping in Lodges due to health problems but still do our own self driving, no guides ( we like that the most )
    I start reading your blog this evening, thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia000 View Post
    Hello Kalica,

Thank you for your helpfull reply.
    A couple of years ago we also went to the Masaai Mara and the Triangle.
    At that time there were no migrations.
    We also liked the Triangle site much more then the way to busy talek area.
    This time we will be sleeping in Lodges due to health problems but still do our own self driving, no guides ( we like that the most )
    I start reading your blog this evening, thanks for the link
    Hi Sylvia,

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures! I also love and do self driving all of the time but I would recommend to hire a Maasai guide for at least 1 day.
    They can show you things which would be hard to find on your own. Thanks to KaliCa's stories I went for a guide as well and saw a crazy amount of cats in just 2-3 days. Cheetahs, leopards, lions (too many haha) and Serval cats. On the downside, since they are in touch with eachother, you get so many updates that it can become 'too much'. I know it sounds weird but driving from sighting to sighting is different than your normal game drive since you are more focused and probably enjoying all the other stuff as well a bit more.

Veel plezier!

-Stefan

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchieGoingAfrica For This Useful Post: