Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Hi all

    I have a fairly new GY Wrangler with a sidewall cut. Been hunting for a 2nd hand, but cannot find in my size... 245 70 16.

    A local guy said he can repair it... for R450.

    I'm concerned about sidewall flex, especially when deflated and on trails. Any success with this type of repair or am I going to waste my money and sit with unnecessary risk?

    Spare that's on now is brand new... so want to get it off asap.

    Input appreciated, I need to sort this within the week. Only alternative now is to buy new, but then I have 3 old tyres running with a new one and my OCD doesn't like it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    45
    Posts
    12,971
    Thanked: 3575

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by WernerDV View Post
    but then I have 3 old tyres running with a new one and my OCD doesn't like it!

    How does your OCD feel about un-even dents - I believe rolled cars are not symmetrical.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

    Then it it a chisel.

    083 399 2046

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    56
    Posts
    659
    Thanked: 2012

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Depends how deep the cut is. Superficial or deep ?

    If that is a piece of chord sticking out at the top, then the cut is deep and I would not attempt a repair.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyre A.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	766.7 KB 
ID:	658686

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    34
    Posts
    721
    Thanked: 1157

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    I had a similar cut on my old wranglers. Took it to tyre shop thinking they would give me any reason to sell me more tyres and was told it is fine as long as it is not a puncture and the strands under the rubber remain undamaged. He peeled the rubber in the cut back to check and said it is perfectly fine as it was.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,268
    Thanked: 7988

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    I learned the hard way
    Rather just replace the tyre
    Willie Knoetze

    2022 Suzuki Jimny

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    70
    Posts
    5,250
    Thanked: 1402

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    If properly repaired (vulcanized) , it will last.
    Johan Kriel

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    42
    Posts
    588
    Thanked: 573

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    I dont believe repairing that tyre is worth the money saved to avoid buying a new one.

    Throw it away. Buy a new one. No regrets.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,925
    Thanked: 3306

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Good reason to buy 4 new bigger tyres
    Willem


    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    How does your OCD feel about un-even dents - I believe rolled cars are not symmetrical.
    Skuus, moes seker genoem het dis n Isuzu...

    Ek hoor jou.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Depends how deep the cut is. Superficial or deep ?

    If that is a piece of chord sticking out at the top, then the cut is deep and I would not attempt a repair.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyre A.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	766.7 KB 
ID:	658686
    It's deep. I suddenly felt something wrong going up a steep incline, initially thought I lost a front sideshaft, but found that the rim was turning and the tyre was completely deflated in seconds.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Good reason to buy 4 new bigger tyres
    Yes! I eagerly await your financial contribution in this regard...

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Look behind you...
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 353

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    I recently had 3x GY Wranglers with sidewall damage repaired. It was not cuts though - rather tiny little holes caused by hakbos or something.

    The tire shop installed gators over the holes as well as well as fitting tubes to the tires.

    The damage sustained to your tire looks way worse though. Personally I wouldn't try and repair. The risk/reward situation here is not worth the R2000 it would cost to just buy a new tire.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    If properly repaired (vulcanized) , it will last.
    This is the case, he did say he's never had issues with any of his customers.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,139
    Thanked: 669

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    I would just replace!

    Not worth putting your family in danger to save R2k

    But I suppose it is just me, being over cautious, when it comes to safety.

    Bostoe

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gqeberha
    Age
    56
    Posts
    7,572
    Thanked: 1059

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    A side wall repair, nope not a good idea. You cannot unscramble an egg.
    Regards
    HeinrichC

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    59
    Posts
    479
    Thanked: 87

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Vegmot View Post
    I recently had 3x GY Wranglers with sidewall damage repaired. It was not cuts though - rather tiny little holes caused by hakbos or something.

    The tire shop installed gators over the holes as well as well as fitting tubes to the tires.

    The damage sustained to your tire looks way worse though. Personally I wouldn't try and repair. The risk/reward situation here is not worth the R2000 it would cost to just buy a new tire.
    for road use a tube in a tubeless tyre is a crash waiting to happen.
    • Firstly a tube in a tubeless tyre cannot seat the bead on the rim
    • the slight ribbing inside a tubeless tyre will provide enough friction on the tube to wear it through and allow it to burst.
    • a tyre shop that does that sort of work or even recommends such work should be avoided due to their abject ignorance.
    • SANS 10408 sets out quite clearly the standards for the repair of tyres.
    • the only manufacturer approved sidewall repair is a Rema Tip Top process and is only supported by one tyre brand. (No names will be mentioned here)


    so please be cautious of your rights as a consumer when it comes to tyre repairs, dont let ignorance of others be your come uppance

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Well the tribe has spoken. Thank you all for your input, I will buy a flippen new one.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to WernerDV For This Useful Post:


  23. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by hedjudd View Post
    for road use a tube in a tubeless tyre is a crash waiting to happen.
    • Firstly a tube in a tubeless tyre cannot seat the bead on the rim
    • the slight ribbing inside a tubeless tyre will provide enough friction on the tube to wear it through and allow it to burst.
    • a tyre shop that does that sort of work or even recommends such work should be avoided due to their abject ignorance.
    • SANS 10408 sets out quite clearly the standards for the repair of tyres.
    • the only manufacturer approved sidewall repair is a Rema Tip Top process and is only supported by one tyre brand. (No names will be mentioned here)


    so please be cautious of your rights as a consumer when it comes to tyre repairs, dont let ignorance of others be your come uppance
    Appreciate the comment, thank you.

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilderness
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,591
    Thanked: 1563

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Not withstanding all the previous comments.

    I have had many sidewall repairs done and driven more than 30k km on most of these tyres without any issues. Properly vulcanised, it should not be an issue. There are also other members out there driving with such tyres.
    So bring on the hammer and nails chaps. If you have not done this yourself or used sidewall repaired tyres before, please continue the doomsday replies.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Sidewall repairs... worth the risk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Not withstanding all the previous comments.

    I have had many sidewall repairs done and driven more than 30k km on most of these tyres without any issues. Properly vulcanised, it should not be an issue. There are also other members out there driving with such tyres.
    So bring on the hammer and nails chaps. If you have not done this yourself or used sidewall repaired tyres before, please continue the doomsday replies.
    I agree, there will be success stories.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •