Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I will never in my life buy a Garmin product again!

I cant remember when I last had this amount of buyers remorse after spending a huge amount of money on the latest Garmin Tread Overlander.
    I use T4A extensively for our trips and with Charmain and myself heading towards 60 and traveling mostly alone every new trip we do/plan is met with worries from the kids about our well being on the trip.
    The in-reach functionality offered by Garmin will help us keeping the kids worry free and give us a means to call for help in case of emergency.
    Now I could have gone for something like a mini-inreach with a 'normal'/cheaper GPS but after extensive back and forth decided to buy the new Tread Overlander with the in-built in-reach functionality to keep interfacing, devices and communication as integrated as possible.
    Now my old Nuvi GPS was as easy as plugging into my computer and using either basecamp, Garmin express, Garmin mapinstall or Garmin map manager (yes 4 different apps) transfer my T4A maps and planned routes to the device.
    I could then also transfer my routes that i planned in Garmin Basecamp to the device and with one or two minor workarounds it all worked fine.
    Enter the new super duper Garmin Tread Overland edition.
    Plugged it in and non of above mentioned 4 apps 'saw' the device with most of them going in a hung state.
    At this point it is important to note I am a Mac only user.
    After contacting T4A the lady assisted me by indicating that the new device is an Android device that does not play well with Apple mac and that the workaround is to format a SD card as ms-dos, create a maps directory and then copy an image file from T4A to this SD card.
    Low and behold after doing that T4A was succesfully loaded on the device.
    Currently I am stuck in getting my routes from basecamp to the device WITHOUT THE INTERNET.
    Garmin likes to make things interesting by having many more 'apps' available that one should use. Garmin Tread, Garmin Connect, Garmin earthmate and probably a few more.
    Now I could get my routes out of basecamp by exporting it as a gpx file but then I need to get it on my ipad (cloud) to get it into the Tread app from where I could sync it to my new snazzy device but then I probably need some internet access somewhere for this whole process.
    Maybe I could just copy this GPX file to above mentioned sd card and i could import from there? Nope, not that I could get to work in 2 days of battling. The 2 days i am mentioning is how long I have been waiting so far for Garmin to assist me with this.
    Ohhh and it is important to note that I plugged this device into my Mac numerous times and it actually 'connected' ONCE where it downloaded all unnecesary maps from the device to Basecamp. That was once and not again.
    When i plan a trip in Basecamp each days route is named something like 01-HometoBuaNete, 02-Buanetetoelephantsnds etc. My logic tells me that the routes will then be displayed in numerical order on the device? Nope completely random.

Garmin is a mish/mash of software apps which all feels like early Beta versions which is completely confusing and a pain to use.
    i wish I never bought this device :-(

Apologies for the rant and I am sure some/many of above mentioned gripes is me.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I will never in my life buy a Garmin product again!

Your problem is a much an Apple one as it is a Garmin one. Apple seems to make it their mission to have non Apple devices difficult to interface with. I speak from experience
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Your problem is a much an Apple one as it is a Garmin one. Apple seems to make it their mission to have non Apple devices difficult to interface with. I speak from experience
    Hmmmm may be so but i assume that is why Apple has Beta releases for other manufacturers to test their stuff and iron out problems. Case in point is that all the software from Garmin on my Mac is still written for Intel while they had 2? 3? years to 'port' it to the new architecture.
    Maybe they should then state from the beginning that it is not compatible and dont have any intent on supporting anything but windows and android.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Dont know the Overlander Tread, but with the Earthmate on my Iphone, mini in-reach and the 'old' Overlander everything is quite straight forward and compatible?
    Johan Kriel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Hmmmm may be so but i assume that is why Apple has Beta releases for other manufacturers to test their stuff and iron out problems. Case in point is that all the software from Garmin on my Mac is still written for Intel while they had 2? 3? years to 'port' it to the new architecture.
    Maybe they should then state from the beginning that it is not compatible and dont have any intent on supporting anything but windows and android.
    The problem lies in the fact that your new GPS runs on Android as an operating system. Right there you could have expected problems, as Android and Apple have never been compatible. Apple's iOS and Android are competing operating systems.

The vast majority of laptops / PCs run Windows, that's what most manufacturers concentrate on. MacOS, Linux etc are generally much less supported.

I think you should be able to run Windows on a virtual machine on your Mac. Try that and install the Windows versions of those Garmin programs.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

OK, dug out an oldish windows laptop and downloaded latest basecamp and t4a for windows.
    Imported my gpx file into basecamp no problem.
    Connected device, comes up with bunch of errors about importing stuff (assume it wants to install all its maps into basecamp).
    Select my trip and click the send to device.
    Has been sitting now for more than 10 minutes while the device says 'updating'.
    pulled the wire out of the pc and lo and behold it found my routes and ask if I want to import them.
    'Yes please'
    next error
    'Cannot calculate route' and does not import anything so still no routes on device.

I am close to taking the loss for returning an opened product and just get rid of this.

Absolutely horrible piece of junk.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The problem lies in the fact that your new GPS runs on Android as an operating system.
    Which I did not know until I bought it and tried to do something with it.
    As I said. Just put a sticker on the box stating 'Only compatible with Windows'.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

Much easier to run a Virtual Machine on the mac and do what you need to do on the Microsoft VM.
    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD : 2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD : 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D
    My YouTube channel
    Touareg Manuals Google Drive Folder : Pajero Manuals Google Drive Folder
    The clever ones are being outbred & overruled by the not so clever ones. Pair that with unchecked selfishness. We are heading for a fall!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Much easier to run a Virtual Machine on the mac and do what you need to do on the Microsoft VM.
    Marius I agree if I know for a fact all would be peachy, but to go through the schlepp and buying a Windows licence and still have issues will drive me bonkers.
    I phoned navworld where i bought the device from yesterday and I will see if I can pop out there today and hopefully get schooled on the operation of this thing.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

If your Tread works anything like my Overlander you will not be able to send routes to your device with a cable...

Visit the Garmin Explore website, create an account and register your device. Export your routes from Basecamp as a GPX file and upload to your Garmin Explore profile, your device should then sync all your routes and waypoints via WiFi. This is a schlep but the only I found that works... recorded tracks will not sync back to Garmin Explore unless all software updates are done on your GPS.

As a side note - if you are like me and have a route "drawn" for each day, export each route as a seperate GPX file, otherwise Garmin Explore will automatically join the routes as one and send that your GPS, you can export all your waypoints in one file, but seperate from the routes.

Hope this helps you in some way.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | Bush Lapa Miskruier 404

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njvermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    If your Tread works anything like my Overlander you will not be able to send routes to your device with a cable...

Visit the Garmin Explore website, create an account and register your device. Export your routes from Basecamp as a GPX file and upload to your Garmin Explore profile, your device should then sync all your routes and waypoints via WiFi. This is a schlep but the only I found that works... recorded tracks will not sync back to Garmin Explore unless all software updates are done on your GPS.

As a side note - if you are like me and have a route "drawn" for each day, export each route as a seperate GPX file, otherwise Garmin Explore will automatically join the routes as one and send that your GPS, you can export all your waypoints in one file, but seperate from the routes.

Hope this helps you in some way.
    Thanks a stack.
    Just reading this boggles my mind because it means I need internet to make this to work.
    Now i am all for progress and changes if its for the better but this does not make sense at all.
    I mean this device has built in wifi, how difficult can it be to transfer from my computer to this device via wifi if both are on the same wifi?
    And yes I also do a route per day. Another 'feature' highlighting Garmins inability to make a decent easy to use device/software.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

19. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    I cant remember when I last had this amount of buyers remorse after spending a huge amount of money on the latest Garmin Tread Overlander.
    I use T4A extensively for our trips and with Charmain and myself heading towards 60 and traveling mostly alone every new trip we do/plan is met with worries from the kids about our well being on the trip.
    Have you tried
    - formatting a MicroSD card as Fat32
    (Max partition size will be 32GB so no point in buying a bigger & use the
    Overlander to format the Card)

- exporting your Basecamp data as a gpx and placing in the root of the MicroSD
    (you may need to experiment with separate files for Wapoints, Routes & Tracks)

- insert the MicroSD into the Overlander & turn it on
    - open the Explore App
    - touch Library
    - touch EDIT (Top Right Hand Corner of Display)
    - touch Import to Explore
    - select a box to import the GPX files into a specific Collection or the Unorganized Collection
    - touch IMPORT (Top Right Hand Corner of Display)

The files will then be imported into the selected Collection. Be aware that if you continue to import the files from the same microSD card without removing the previously imported files, you will get duplicate information.

The above is mostly from support.garmin.com

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StorminH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StorminH View Post
    Have you tried
    - formatting a MicroSD card as Fat32
    (Max partition size will be 32GB so no point in buying a bigger & use the
    Overlander to format the Card)

- exporting your Basecamp data as a gpx and placing in the root of the MicroSD
    (you may need to experiment with separate files for Wapoints, Routes & Tracks)

- insert the MicroSD into the Overlander & turn it on
    - open the Explore App
    - touch Library
    - touch EDIT (Top Right Hand Corner of Display)
    - touch Import to Explore
    - select a box to import the GPX files into a specific Collection or the Unorganized Collection
    - touch IMPORT (Top Right Hand Corner of Display)

The files will then be imported into the selected Collection. Be aware that if you continue to import the files from the same microSD card without removing the previously imported files, you will get duplicate information.

The above is mostly from support.garmin.com
    I have tried every hich way with the SD card since that is how I got the t4a maps on the device but no joy.
    I went back to Navworld and a very knowledgeable young man sat for more than an hour to get it to work. I am very grateful for his assistance. I would just have to work around all the frustrating bits (and their are many).
    I will also load a VM on my mac and load windows on a partition to try and reduce my frustration.
    My opinion about Garmin has not changed but I will just try and make the most of it going forward.
    Thanks for all the suggestions/help here, it is much appreciated.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

I feel exactly the same way about my Overlander. Its an absolute irritation and I can not stand the thing. Worst R13k i ever spent and I have been using GPS's since the Garmin GPSV, Mapsource and now Basecamp.

The reasons why i think its a piece of junk:
    1. Often I can see a road in front of me and even see a campsite a few hundred meters in front of me and it tells me to do a U turn and do a 120km detour to the campsite. The Overlander shows the road and even the campsite but for some unknown reason doesnt recognize it
    2. I would be on a straight highway, like between JHB and Witbank, or Pretoria and Polokwani and it would want me to take an off ramp and then join the highway again
    3. It sometimes continuously recalculates even though the route and highway is clearly in front of me.
    4. I can never get the explore website to accept my GPX files. Ive tried on PC and Mac.
    5. I loaded tracks onto the Overlander (the one time i got it to work) and on my very old 1410 Nuvi. Same exact files using Tracks 4 Africa. The Nuvi worked perfectly, the Overlander wanted me to do totally different routes to what I had loaded. On Hunters road it wanted me to do a U turn go back to the tar, drive about 40kms to the next cutline and then head to hunters road again. Approx an 80km detour. Mean while the Nuvi was perfect. How can this be?
    6. Basecamp never recognizes the Overlander (PC or Mac) so my only option is the explore website which wont accept my GPX files.

I would gladly swop my Overlander plus some cash for a 276CX or montana 700.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2022/06/21 at 03:56 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

New Defender 110 D240
    (ex. 2011 130, 2011 110, 2001 110 TD5, 2013 D4, 2011 D4, 2009 D3, 2018 D5, 1996 D1 V8)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzr...LJ470_H4QwPgVA

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Correct. MacOS is very secure for a reason.

USB drives are terrible generally when it comes to security. You can run an entire Linux OS or automated scripts on a memory stick these days to hack into something.
    4x4s:
    Current: Nissan Patrol (New Overlanding Build)=
    Old: GLE 4matic & off-road plus package | G350 Gelandewagen | Defender 130 DC | 2 x Jeep Rubicon | Jeep GC V8 | 2 x Amarok | Toyota Hilux | Ford Ranger = | Lada Niva

Ossewaens:
    Current: Conqueror Commander Platinum
    Old: Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    No they just focus on security. Unlike Windows.
    4x4s:
    Current: Nissan Patrol (New Overlanding Build)=
    Old: GLE 4matic & off-road plus package | G350 Gelandewagen | Defender 130 DC | 2 x Jeep Rubicon | Jeep GC V8 | 2 x Amarok | Toyota Hilux | Ford Ranger = | Lada Niva

Ossewaens:
    Current: Conqueror Commander Platinum
    Old: Metalian Maxi

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post:

It seems its a problem child

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...oblems.210457/
    https://www.sa4x4.co.za/review-garmin-overlander/
    the overland tablet (that isn't waterproof lol!) is an outdated Android tablet with crippled Garmin software on it. it's old ,poorly done, and overpriced per it's specs.

most of the Jeep folks (this is called an overlander ) now use iPads with Gaia GPS or guru maps (apps) on them now. it's way way way ahead of the game vs the ancient feeling/looking Garmin offerings, and updates HAPPEN on those apps, instead of excuses.

I have never owned a Garmin product as difficult as this. The only plus I'm going to give this is navigation. I like both the Drive and Explore apps, but only for navigation. The only issue was uploading my AZ-BDR .gpx track. It should not have been that difficult. My computer would not recognize the SD card in the Overlander. Turns out there are two ways to format the card. Format the card wrong and it can't be read by anything outside the Overlander. It can't even be re-formatted. Once I was given the option I formatted the card for use outside the Overlander, and now my computer finds the SD card. Uploading a gpx file to follow went pretty easy after getting the card formatted correctly.

Downloading a created track is another story. I've tried and tried. I can export, but the whole "collection" of tracks and waypoints doesn't go over to the card. Other issues are: the names I gave the tracks on the Overlander are changed and all tracks are given the same name so you don't know what order they are in while the gpx file shows up on the Overlander on the SD card, the computer won't read it unless you turn off, then back on, the Overlander. Waypoints export fine. For my first adventure I finally was able to get the tracks exported (no idea how), but they came over inverted, backwards from the direction they were created. I was able to fix them in Garmin Basecamp. The export was also much more complicated than it needs to be. 1-Export from the Overlander to the card. 2-Import the renamed gpx into Garmin Explore website. 3-Export AGAIN to the computer so it's readable by Basecamp. The first gpx file created by the Overlander is not readable by Basecamp.

For the last several hours I've been trying to export my AZ BDR trek. The waypoints go over fine. The tracks, not at all. I have 5 days of tracks. Only three are exporting, and they don't display on the Explore map. If I try and export to Basecamp, I only get waypoints, no tracks. The data is on the Overlander … I can see it in the Library. But it won't export.

I was hoping to use the Overlander and "retire" my GPSMAP 64st from tracking duties. Looks like that is not going to happen and I will need to continue using both devices. The Overlander for navigation, and the 64 for tracking.

One last comment. If you are looking for help, good luck. Garmin does not have an Overlander forum.
    Last edited by bertus; 2022/06/22 at 07:34 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to bertus For This Useful Post:

Interesting that the guy from SA4x4 says the “negative comments come from people who don’t know how to use the device” and the guy from expedition portal mirrors some of our experiences.
    Perhaps this SA4x4 guy is correct but why when you have a route to a point and you can see that destination in front of you and there is a road leading to it that is also shown on the GPS, does it want to make you do a u turn and go on a massive detour or why does it recalculate and want to take you on an off ramp and then back onto the highway. This has happened to me between JHB and polokwani And between JHB and witbank.

of the many GPS’s I have had I’ve never had this issues. Perhaps it is me but I wish someone could tell me what I’m doing wrong.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2022/06/22 at 07:38 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

New Defender 110 D240
    (ex. 2011 130, 2011 110, 2001 110 TD5, 2013 D4, 2011 D4, 2009 D3, 2018 D5, 1996 D1 V8)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Interesting that the guy from SA4x4 says the ďnegative comments come from people who donít know how to use the deviceĒ and the guy from expedition portal mirrors some of our experiences.
    Perhaps this SA4x4 guy is correct but why when you have a route to a point and you can see that destination in front of you and there is a road leading to it that is also shown on the GPS, does it want to make you do a u turn and go on a massive detour or why does it recalculate and want to take you on an off ramp and then back onto the highway. This has happened to me between JHB and polokwani And between JHB and witbank.

of the many GPSís I have had Iíve never had this issues. Perhaps it is me but I wish someone could tell me what Iím doing wrong.
    Itís not some arcane setting like use the scenic route or no toll roads or no tarred roads or something similar?

No, checked all of those but why would it take you off the highway then back on the highway at the same place?
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

New Defender 110 D240

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast