Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Deflating Tyres - How?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    We need a clever retired forum member to design one of those deflation screw on caps that has a valve on top. You preset low pressure. Then when off roading you twist the cap to deflate to set pressure. When back on road, you twist opposite way and connect your air hose to inflate
    Anything like you are describing will be too big and heavy to leave attached to the valve permanently. It's much easier to fit whatever device you use for deflating or inflating when required than trying to fit a new valve to a wheel in the bush. Watch the Off Course 4x4 video on YouTube where they do Carnage Canyon. One of the vehicles broke 2 valves in the canyon when they snagged on rocks.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Jurgens Xplorer (Home from Home)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

The easiest way I’ve found is to bring a pneumatic airline type tyre inflator, the kind of thing petrol stations use but just a basic one, they are around R100 at Midas.

You attach that to your tyre and pull the inflate lever except now it’s not attached to an airline so it deflates the tyre and is pretty high volume so it deflates quite rapidly, it also has a pressure gauge so you can deflate precisely the amount you need to.

If you fit a quick coupler on it and a 12v compressor you could even use it when pumping the tyres back up to road pressure.

I know the market does not like it, but I like to take as little as possible with me, and that had long eliminated any unnecessary gadgetry on board. I place SWAMBO on one side with her match, me on the other and I yell GO, counting out loud and we STOP on the same pre-agreed number-normally 30. I measure my side and if right, we are off again. If not right, I choose another number and we do it again-its very seldom though, and it is amazing how evenly they deflate.

Now, if any of you Techi's come up with a way of INFLATING my tyres wirelessly without bending down to the valve give me a call. That will be worth while. And since they are talking about wireless charging of EV's it may not be too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by rob wilson View Post
    Now, if any of you Techi's come up with a way of INFLATING my tyres wirelessly without bending down to the valve give me a call. That will be worth while.
    Someone has already come up with something that is 95% of what you are looking for. It's called the IndeFlate and what I use all the time.
    With me having two artificial knees and other joint problems caused by Rheumatoid Arthritis I can't kneel down without lots of discomfort. With the IndeFlate I can just clip the hoses on to the valves and stand there deflating the tyres quickly and accurately. Same with inflating the tyres again when needed.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Jurgens Xplorer (Home from Home)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4