Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ethiopian Airlines

Hi guys, planning to fly with them from Cape Town to Athens, Greece. Any experience with them you like to share. There flight time is the shortest with good pricing.

Thanks

Default Re: Ethiopian Airlines

Quote Originally Posted by Waals;[URL="tel:4886738"
    4886738[/URL]]Hi guys, planning to fly with them from Cape Town to Athens, Greece. Any experience with them you like to share. There flight time is the shortest with good pricing.

Thanks
    Don’t eat anything outside the airport if you stop over in Addis. They actually allow you to leave the airport during transit for a quick bite. But, you won’t make it to your next stop before exploding.
    Last edited by Darth; 2022/05/25 at 04:08 PM.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post:

I flew with them a lot two or three years ago - nice planes, good food and service, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
    Jeep Cherokee 2006 KJ CRD
    2" OME Lift

It is not bad for an African airline. They all have their ups and downs, even the mighty Emirates but at this stage, I would feel safer in one of theirs than in one of ours. Much of a muchness really. Airport is not bad and you should really not have to leave the airport during transit.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------

I actually find them excellent. I fly them often. Their aircraft are mostly new-ish, A350, B787-800 and B787-900.

I do fly them in business class - so I can't comment on economy seating, but they are basically all the same in economy.

They have been extremely reliable in my experience. Probably thirty flights over 4 years, maybe 2 late? No cancellations. The food is of good standard, the crews seem well trained and professional, unlike some other African airlines.

Their prices are reasonable, you can even chat with them via the website. If you do travel in business, their lounge in addis is quite nice.

Boarding is a bit of a crap show, again if you do not have priority boarding - but everyone gets on the plane, every time :-)

Seriously - they are well run, and solvent.

I would pay twice as much for a ticket on them, connecting via addis, compared to a direct flight on SAA. That may tell you more about my feelings on SAA, than Ethiopian, or maybe not.

AND -

since someone mentioned Emirates --- I would take Ethiopian in business over Emirates in business, in the Emirates 777, which is an utter piece of crap. The A380 is a different story. In economy, there is nothing between the two to justify Emirates higher prices, in my opinion.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2022/05/25 at 04:55 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

GKE

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post
    Hi guys, planning to fly with them from Cape Town to Athens, Greece. Any experience with them you like to share. There flight time is the shortest with good pricing.

Thanks
    Ethiopian is one of the better African airlines. I have traveled a lot with them in the past.
    However, sometimes the website doesnít work properly, e.g. if you want to change or manage your booking, you might have to end up going to their office or the travel agent, if you intend to book through one.
    Aircraft seem ok, their B737 fleet is well used. Their B787 and A350 are newer and seem in better condition and are more comfortable. Food in economy is ok, nothing to write home about.
    Addis airport has improved a lot over the past few years. Itís advisable to get some U$ in smallish denominations so you can buy food or something to drink in Addis. Credit cards donít always work.
    There is free WIFI in the airport, often itís a bit wonky and doesnít cope well with demand.
    As for leaving the airport, unless you are on an overnight transit where Ethiopian actually books you into a hotel, which is included in the ticket price, I donít know how you would get past immigration to just leave the airport for a bite to eat.
    The food from the airport restaurants is safe, however expensive. Very basic meals were around U$ 10-15, if I remember correctly. Service can be slow, if the place is busy.

There are a few small shops selling various things, there you can get small water bottles for U$ 2, I think.

You canít compare Ethiopian Airlines with the former SAA from around 5 years ago, neither can you compare Addis airport with Cape Town or Johannesburg. But itís doable and overall ok value for money.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Last trip to Europe we flew with them home , flew from Czech rep to Austria , I was quite exited as not many people waiting to board so I thought the trip to Addis Ababa would be nice , it was the worst flight in my life , this was a stop over flight from Norway and our seats were dirty and plane full , Landing In Addis was welcomed , but the airport is a mess toilets dont work etc , I was quite finished then , really can it get worse ?
    The flight from Addis to JHB was probably the best I have been for a long time around 20 people on the plane was given best seats with fantastic service
    This was 3 years ago
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2022/05/25 at 05:11 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Ethiopian is one of the better African airlines. I have traveled a lot with them in the past.
    However, sometimes the website doesnít work properly, e.g. if you want to change or manage your booking, you might have to end up going to their office or the travel agent, if you intend to book through one.
    Aircraft seem ok, their B737 fleet is well used. Their B787 and A350 are newer and seem in better condition and are more comfortable. Food in economy is ok, nothing to write home about.
    Addis airport has improved a lot over the past few years. Itís advisable to get some U$ in smallish denominations so you can buy food or something to drink in Addis. Credit cards donít always work.
    There is free WIFI in the airport, often itís a bit wonky and doesnít cope well with demand.
    As for leaving the airport, unless you are on an overnight transit where Ethiopian actually books you into a hotel, which is included in the ticket price, I donít know how you would get past immigration to just leave the airport for a bite to eat.
    The food from the airport restaurants is safe, however expensive. Very basic meals were around U$ 10-15, if I remember correctly. Service can be slow, if the place is busy.

There are a few small shops selling various things, there you can get small water bottles for U$ 2, I think.

You canít compare Ethiopian Airlines with the former SAA from around 5 years ago, neither can you compare Addis airport with Cape Town or Johannesburg. But itís doable and overall ok value for money.
    They actually do let you slip out if you have a long lay over. They probably know that very few people have the desire to jump borders and never return once in Ethiopia.

But I have only been there twice and don't really know it that well. Once on a chartered Ethiopian airline plane with one of our ministers on the way to a conference, and the other just a normal EA flight. But sounds like you have much more experience, so probably safer to assume you can't.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

I think they usurped SAA in awards for best airline or something. Good safety record.

There is an EU site which lists airlines allowed to fly over Europe, I think Ethiopian is one of them.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

The airport is better than what it used to be. I flew with them to The Gambia 3 weeks ago and all was good, no issues

Nothing wrong with Ethiopian airlines.
    I fly with them a dozen times a year. There is major improvement at Addis and every month you notice the improvements.

It is an expensive airport but which airport isn't? I the last 2 months a Pizza Hut and Burger King opened. Quality of the food is poor compared to SA standads and tripple the price.
    2023 LC 300 3,5 GR-S
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser
    Land Cruiser VDJ 71
    2020 LC FJ

No Probs flying with them. Used them when SAA wasn't available.
    Last I flew into Addis (2021) they were busy revamping the airport so finding toilets etc is a bit of a mission. Anything longer than say a 3 hour layover will feel like an eternity - really not geared for long layovers (unless you are content to just sit at the departure terminal and wait it out.
    All in all, no issues with the plane/ food/ service
    Bang vir baie dinge...skuld is nie een daarvan nie...miskien so bietjie...

You only die once; Live for the moment!!

I used them a few times last year Joburg - Addis - Libreville and back and they were perfectly acceptable.
    Going up with them again next week.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

I have flown Air Ethiopia a few times before Lockdown killed the world.

Once I saw Mount Kilimanjaro from the windows. The pilot announced that we were passing by the mountain.
    It was an amazing sight. A perfectly clear blue sky , this majestic mountain with a cap of snow.

At Addis airport, relax in one of the restaurants, eat the local stew , have a few beers.
    The locals are friendly, the airport staff are great.
    On all of my flights, it has always been a 3 - 4 hour stopover in both directions.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post

Thanks
    As long as the pilots don't fall asleep, I guess they are OK ?

Plane fails to descend as pilots "fall asleep" during flight.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...nes/index.html

Take an alarm clock.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by geoff norton View Post
    Nothing wrong with Ethiopian airlines.
    I fly with them a dozen times a year. There is major improvement at Addis and every month you notice the improvements.

It is an expensive airport but which airport isn't? I the last 2 months a Pizza Hut and Burger King opened. Quality of the food is poor compared to SA standads and tripple the price.

I find the lounge food to be good. Even better are the traditional Ethiopian dishes served family style on flights departing Addis (in biz)

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    As long as the pilots don't fall asleep, I guess they are OK ?

Plane fails to descend as pilots "fall asleep" during flight.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...nes/index.html
    https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...8878f4041fb23d
    Jeep WK 3.0 CRD - In the market, PM me for details
    Isuzu 300dTeq 4x4 DC - sold
    BMW F650 GS Dakar - sold

Wir kŲnnten nur sagen wir lieben SŁdwest!

I've just had an interesting ticketing experience....

I'm going to Libreville next week, and usually go CPT-JNB-ADD-LBV, but my next ticket is CPT-JNB with Safair and then JNB-LBV direct with Ethiopian.
    Does anybody know if ET has taken over SAA's slot or what is going on here?
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I've just had an interesting ticketing experience....

I'm going to Libreville next week, and usually go CPT-JNB-ADD-LBV, but my next ticket is CPT-JNB with Safair and then JNB-LBV direct with Ethiopian.
    Does anybody know if ET has taken over SAA's slot or what is going on here?

I have seen them operate flights from JNB to other African destinations (not Addis), stop and embark/disembark, and then fly to ADDÖ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast