Default Solar panel "charging" from LED lighting ????

I just noticed something interesting by chance.
    I have my solar panel (90W) in an aluminum frame lying facing up on my worktable in my little workshop waiting to be put out in the sun when we get some.
    When I switch on the internal LED lights the solar controller turns green indicating a charge being received from the panel.

Any idea what kind of charge that would be ? I thought they only worked on daylight.
    If I switch the lights off and the panel in the same position even in daylight (cloudy) it does not charge.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the telephone.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

[B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]1998 ISUZU KB 280 DT LE, Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT. (Reluctantly SOLD)
    Now ancient 1985 re-modelled interior Jurgens Siesta 4 pop up caravan converted to suit SWAMBO's needs.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Solar panel "charging" from LED lighting ????

Peter I would say the LED lights emits a wavelength of light to increase the voltage of the panel cells enough for the controller to see enough volts and then turns on. I would guess there will be very little current to do any charging.The voltage of the panel would also be very low.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2022/05/22 at 09:54 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

I suspected as much, I was just surprised, I thought it needed natural outdoor light to function at all.
    Makes me think though, would it be worth putting the panel inside where lights are on anyway on cloudy days to get at least some charge to my backup batteries when mains power is ON ?
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the telephone.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

[B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]1998 ISUZU KB 280 DT LE, Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT. (Reluctantly SOLD)
    Now ancient 1985 re-modelled interior Jurgens Siesta 4 pop up caravan converted to suit SWAMBO's needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I suspected as much, I was just surprised, I thought it needed natural outdoor light to function at all.
    Makes me think though, would it be worth putting the panel inside where lights are on anyway on cloudy days to get at least some charge to my backup batteries when mains power is ON ?
    I suspect for the effort it won't be worth it
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    If I were you I would still do it and measure it or test it to get some concrete data.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

In the big caves open to tourists like Cango and Sudwala, they noted green plants starting to grow close to the lights deep inside the caves.

So it seams like light is light, no matter if it is natural or "artificial".

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:

Sometimes at night when conditions are just right, you can even see a voltage rise on panels due to the moon and stars, but it's negligible, hardly anything to write home about.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    I suspect for the effort it won't be worth it
    Yes I agree. The voltage to wake the controller might be very low - 3 to 5V. This will not even charge a cell phone due to no current.

Filament bulbs do provide more light in the right spectrum than LED. Easy to check by measuring the voltage with LED and then putting it in front of an older car headlights that don't use LED.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2022/05/22 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Yes I agree. The voltage to wake the controller might be very low - 3 to 5V. This will not even charge a cell phone due to no current.

Filament bulbs do provide more light in the right spectrum than LED. Easy to check by measuring the voltage with LED and then putting it in front of an older car headlights that don't use LED.
    Interesting, but then those old incandescent lights wasted just so much power in heat.
    The LED's a bit less.

I was just surprised and wondered about it.
    Thank you all for the feedback on this - just a matter of interest - not anything really practical methinks.
    Peter Hutchison

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post: