Default Nuvi - No Maps Available

Hi All

So been riding with my mobile using google maps and a few other maps but find it pain especially when I have preplanned and plotted routes I want to ride.

Had a Garmin Nuvi 1490 stacked away and dug it out today to start using again on bike. Although not the ideal Zumo screen it would fore fill the purpose for now.

Long story short , I realize the Maps are outdated with 4years and try to update the maps via garmin express software. Tells me it would cost me R800. Before I pull the trigger on this
    I call up NavWord JHB and the guy at the other end tells me that he can do the latest and greatest maps for this model at R200. I order a universal ram knock-off only and Obviously I take a drive there the next dat at a R600 saving, only to find out that it was a total waste. The guy had no clue and as per him he heard another Nuvi model over the phone.

To come to the point now, I have a perfectly working Garmin Nuvi that is worthless now as per NavWorld due to no Garmin maps available for these anymore. They did conveniently offer to sell me tracks4africa and a new garmin and take my current nuvi as trade in at R100 discount. Rather pissed that I have a Garmin that can only be used for T4A and nothing else but more so the chop that got my hopes up. Bracket mount being delivered tomorrow

What options do I have. Installed some open source maps and a old version on T4A I had and tested it but it doesn't work so well. Rather outdated. What options do I have? Fork out for new one and chuck old one? Just feels wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    To Operate Your Own Terrific Automobile AKA TOYOTA

Default Re: Nuvi - No Maps Available

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2022/05/18 at 06:44 AM.
    Kobus

That's odd. I have a Nuvi52 which I inherited from my sister. I updated all its maps last year August for free just fine (it even says copyright 2021 on startup now).

I haven't tried since though.
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)

Yes this is my point. I should still be able to get maps. But as per the experts in the fielf "NavWorld" I am not able to use this garmin anymore

Kobus

Yes i have also been narked off with Garmin. Had an old Garmin which they traded in on Nuvi that time told life time upgrades.only to get told have to pay for upgrades. Seems like they change their tune every time they get out of bed. Use google maps on my phone. Always updated.

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Jip, soek net die nuutste of laaste maps available vir die nuvi. Ek weet hul het dit gehaad, maar die knaap wou net n nuwe Garmin aan my verkoop het.

Kon sien hy wou help, maar sy manager het bietjie naby gestaan

Môre. Ek sal die nuutste Garmin map vir jou laai as jy die Nuvi vir my kan stuur/bring. Stuur vir my 'n PM indien jy belangstel of kontak my - zero agt twee 926 nul sewe vyf vier.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Udu For This Useful Post:

Sorted.

Faith restored in humanity and random actsof kindness from someone who helped me on this.

This man went out of his way to help me and and sorted with the latest maps.

Maps working like a bomb! 7year old Nuvi working like a treat.
    Last edited by pase4x4; 2022/05/20 at 11:53 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pase4x4 For This Useful Post:

Hi,

Life Time Maps is only valid when you update at least once a year, there was another thread a while back where this was discussed. One has to keep the maps "current" to keep on getting the maps for free. If you last updated more than a year ago you have to pay again.

Garmin decision....

Cheers,

C

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CJP For This Useful Post: