Question Pretoria to KTP Route Suggestions

Howzit everybody.

I am looking for suggestions on what route to take to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I am familiar with the route from Cape Town but have recently moved to Pretoria and was wondering what the best route there is. I intend to drive the whole distance in one day and so I am looking for not only a quick route but also one with at least one fairly well stocked supermarket to do some grocery shopping.

The help is much appreciated.

Default Re: Pretoria to KTP Route Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Ithando View Post
    Howzit everybody.

I am looking for suggestions on what route to take to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I am familiar with the route from Cape Town but have recently moved to Pretoria and was wondering what the best route there is. I intend to drive the whole distance in one day and so I am looking for not only a quick route but also one with at least one fairly well stocked supermarket to do some grocery shopping.

The help is much appreciated.

Fairly simple it's N14 all the way with two options for stocking up eigher Kuruman or Upington, the former is your last option if you go via Van Zylsrus, but beware Kuruman is a crime infested disaster so only use the shopping center just before you leave the town towards Hotazel. On the other hand Upington has far more options available from a shopping perspective but this route is about an hour longer, beware the road conditions between Van Zylsrus and Askham can be terrible at times which will diminish the time advantage. If you want to break the journey up Red Sands outside Kuruman is very good option for chalets or camping but you will need to dounle back if you intend going via Van Zylsrus.

Default Re: Pretoria to KTP Route Suggestions

1. At your age it is doable.
    2. Be careful of leaving before dark in Gauteng - this is not the Cape Province. Using the N14 (recommended) you will be passing the Diepsloot area.
    3. Some consider via Kimberley an option. But then you have to leave even earlier and drive past Grasmere - not sure about the recent security there.
    Be carefull of speedtraps in places like Ventersdorp. Stick to the speed limits in towns/near schools, etc.
    4. Rather skip extended stopovers at Vryburg and Kuruman. For a pitstop, try MAMS as you enter Vryburg. Just be vigilant in all the small towns.
    5. Kalahari Mall in Upington is right on you way to the Park.
    6. You will have to push it! Assuming you are aiming for Twee Rivieren
    ENJOY
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2022/05/12 at 04:11 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post: