Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: The Long Commute - What car to get? Or how do you commute?

My wife does Randburg to PTA West everyday.

Duster auto gives her over 20km/L and very comfy drive
    They say money can't buy happiness but it bought my Jeep and I am happy as ..........

Quote Originally Posted by onderbroek View Post
    Still to be negotiated, but when i asked i got the below response:

"Australia does not do remote working"

Is there someone on the forum with some accounting/payroll/tax experience, I just need some help comparing current to their package and make sure i dont shoot myself in the foot
    Serious question, what does Australia have to do with this? Are these guys a subsidiery of an Australian company?

Seems Australia in general is very keen on working from home...

Speaking to The Australian Financial Review, Australian Bureau of Statistics chief David Gruen said the COVID-19 pandemic had sparked rapid growth in Australia’s digital economy, evidenced by the widespread uptake of remote working and a shift toward shopping online.
    https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/w...0220304-p5a1vv
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FatPlant For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FatPlant View Post
    Serious question, what does Australia have to do with this? Are these guys a subsidiery of an Australian company?

Seems Australia in general is very keen on working from home...

Speaking to The Australian Financial Review, Australian Bureau of Statistics chief David Gruen said the COVID-19 pandemic had sparked rapid growth in Australia’s digital economy, evidenced by the widespread uptake of remote working and a shift toward shopping online.
    https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/w...0220304-p5a1vv
    Yip job is for a Australian company.

Not sure what happened but the don't seem to keen on working remotely. But will negotiate.

During the first month's it makes sense to spend more time in the office.
    hak vrystaat!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onderbroek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chris dippenaar View Post
    Ford Ecosport 1.5 diesel...they have space, very very economical on feul...28km/l.....very quiet inside and drives very nice. Has good ground clearance so you will not miss the Ranger to much .

28km/l?! Nee sjo!!!!

I have been driving one on 110km daily commute since 2019. It is a mix of 25% start stop, 25% slow go (under 60km/h) en 50% between 100 and 140...

Sure I do not have a light foot but I rarely get over 20km/l.... And I consider that to be extremely frugal. I do not get much more than that on the open road either.

It is a great commuter though, very comfortable and a lot of power... once you get the wheels turning. Start stop with a 1.5 diesel will always require some work.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Yip job is for a Australian company.

Not sure what happened but the don't seem to keen on working remotely. But will negotiate.

During the first month's it makes sense to spend more time in the office.
    I completely understand that approach for a new employee. You first need to find your place in the company structures, responsibilities and who to talk to. But after a while, it should be feasible to transition to partial WFH.

Good luck with the negotiations.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatPlant For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You should definitely consider a suzuki swift 1.2

I recently bought one for city commute and absolutely love it
    Its now the nr one selling passenger car in SA. Comes with 5 year /200 000km warranty.
    Paid R2500 to.extend it to 7 years / unlimited km
    You will be driving mostly highway so should easily get 22km per liter or more if you drive decent.
    It has a 37 litre fueltank though so you would need to fill up every 4th day.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieJimny View Post
    +1 Suzuki swift 1.2.
    Swambo got 20km/l with hers on the open road.

I think I might be a speed freak.

Also never got those figures with my ex 1.2 swift. Get around 16.5km/l on the daily commute. Bit more on the open road.

An excellent choice though. Frugal enough and low maintenance cost. And reliable.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Still to be negotiated, but when i asked i got the below response:

"Australia does not do remote working"

Is there someone on the forum with some accounting/payroll/tax experience, I just need some help comparing current to their package and make sure i dont shoot myself in the foot

That is a rather crap explanation. Some of my friends remote-work for Australia businesses, right here from their homes in SA. And I also have ex-colleagues staying in Aus and NZ who told me that hybrid work aproach is booming there.

I had many friends and ex-colleagues who have walked away from these businesses that does not offer it, even with very attractive packages, because of the comfort of working from home, as well as financial, personal and medical reasons.

I work for an international employee, based in UK, with branches in rest of Europe, including Ukraine and USA, and all of us have hybrid work as standard, with a non-obligatory option to work at office for 2 days.

Have not once been on the road, except for personal reasons (shopping, etc) and social meetings.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    Duster diesel?
    This. I commute 50km one way a day. 16.8 to 17.8 km/l and plenty of space. Actually a nice drive, and those 1.5dci engines have proven themselves to be reliable if serviced regularly.

However I would have to agree to rather get yourself a garden flat closer (if moving is out of the question). Leave for home Friday after work and leave early on Mondays back to work.

1. So much time travelling, you will be wacked when you get home. So not much family time.
    2. It will likely be cheaper
    3. (Please take this in the spirit it is meant) Anytime you travel, you expose yourself to the possibility of a vehicular accident. Commuting that far for so long is a lot of exposure.
    2014 Duster 1.5Dci

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

For such a commute an EV would have been perfect, especially if you can charge at work.
    There are a few i3s on the market.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    However I would have to agree to rather get yourself a garden flat closer (if moving is out of the question). Leave for home Friday after work and leave early on Mondays back to work.
    Definitely the sensible move, BUT, I dont think I would manage that I must say. Imagine the boredom - finish work at 15h00, back at the flat by 15h20. Then what? Watch tv?
    Must say, Id rather spend that time driving, listening to music/podcasts, and seeing the family, even if it is only for an hour or so.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    For such a commute an EV would have been perfect, especially if you can charge at work.
    There are a few i3s on the market.
    Watching them like a hawk.

Waiting for the right one.

With all the new EV's now hitting the market I am expecting the existing i3 owners to upgrade.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Watching them like a hawk.

Waiting for the right one.

With all the new EV's now hitting the market I am expecting the existing i3 owners to upgrade.
    What are they being listed for currently, if you don't mind me asking?

What are they being listed for currently, if you don't mind me asking?
    2020 Model, 10000 km full spec i3S with REX - R848K

2018 or so 50000 km R599k

I know it sounds terrible scary, but when you do all the sums and alternatives and weigh up everything - a bit of a bargain. And they hold their value like nothing else.

All I need is another R600K and I am in.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

230km round trip is not bad, especially if you want to see your family everyday.

My choice of commuter vehicle, Ford Figo 1.5 TiVCT Trend (My personal vehicle) or the Mazda 2 1.5. Both petrol and both are NA.

I did 70000km in 2 years in my 2019 Figo and it is still going very strong. Very comfortable and definitely keeps up with the traffic when you need it to! That engine is very nippy and will put a smile on your face everytime you put your foot down. I don't pay attention to the onboard computer average consumption figures. I fill up full tank to full tank and with the mixed highway and town driving that I do, on the 39/40L Fuel tank. I refuel after every 650km to 700km or so. I think this translates to 16.25 to 17.5 km/L. When I drive like a gentleman from Pietermaritzburg to Johannesburg, I can make it to Parktown with a 1/4 tank left of fuel.

The Mazda 2 is also a great vehicle that just goes and goes and has a better chance of getting you close to that 400 000km mark.

Toyota Etios, very good but not so comfortable and not very safe either. When the road gets wet, windy (curvy) or windy the Etios gets very unhappy aswel.

Good luck with the hunting.
    Last edited by BeasT 50; 2022/05/13 at 07:45 PM.

Minimum 9 hours at the office and easily 3 hours on the road.

In theory it is a bit over one hour one way but we have traffic.

For a company person works 8 hours and spends 3 hours on the road plus getting "work" ready and on return recovery. Roughly 50% on top of official work time. Not clever at all for the company. I have no idea what the position is. For many office jobs I would say as a company "Work 9 hours for us (same salary), come to office once a week and also if really required. If you do not have proper office at home let us know and we make a plan."

Quote Originally Posted by BeasT 50 View Post
    230km round trip is not bad, especially if you want to see your family everyday.

Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

The Main reason for the job hunt was to see if i can find better circumstances than i am currently in.
    I work away from home in Mpumalanga from Monday to Friday, I drive a lot as its part of my job, so the 2 hour commute per day is not a deal breaker yet.

My biggest priority is to get back to my family, Should i be lucky and get the job in Northriding, I can move back, be with my kids, and as mentioned somewhere the working hours are around peak traffic 06:00 - 15:00 so in a perfect world the commute will take approx 2:15 everyday, which sounds like a lot, but much better than current circumstances. I'm sure down the line when they realize im not a oxygen thief, they might reconsider the remote work option for me. (I Hope)

If the petrol price keeps on increasing, I will consider moving to Jhb - It's closer than Witbank to the rest of the family.

I don't want to get into too much detail on the job offer and circumstances yet, as its still a bit unclear. As it stands the Local HR lady is off sick, and the Aussie CEO is on leave ( I think on a trip to some exotic 4x4 location or something lekker like that, because she said he will be on leave with no signal)

I have had 2 interviews already, one online, and the other at their offices in JHB. The role and service/product seems like less stressful and more manageable than current situation so this will help with overall wellness.

As it stands should i get a reasonable offer, I will trade the ranger for a fuel sipping hatch, and budget for wear and tear. And offer a daily courier between jhb and Vaal to help save on costs. I can do most services myself, and can spend a night or 2 in Kyalami with friends.

I appreciate the input from everyone.
    hak vrystaat!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onderbroek For This Useful Post:

The Main reason for the job hunt was to see if i can find better circumstances than i am currently in.
    I work away from home in Mpumalanga from Monday to Friday, I drive a lot as its part of my job, so the 2 hour commute per day is not a deal breaker yet.

My biggest priority is to get back to my family, Should i be lucky and get the job in Northriding, I can move back, be with my kids, and as mentioned somewhere the working hours are around peak traffic 06:00 - 15:00 so in a perfect world the commute will take approx 2:15 everyday, which sounds like a lot, but much better than current circumstances. I'm sure down the line when they realize im not a oxygen thief, they might reconsider the remote work option for me. (I Hope)

If the petrol price keeps on increasing, I will consider moving to Jhb - It's closer than Witbank to the rest of the family.

I don't want to get into too much detail on the job offer and circumstances yet, as its still a bit unclear. As it stands the Local HR lady is off sick, and the Aussie CEO is on leave ( I think on a trip to some exotic 4x4 location or something lekker like that, because she said he will be on leave with no signal)

I have had 2 interviews already, one online, and the other at their offices in JHB. The role and service/product seems like less stressful and more manageable than current situation so this will help with overall wellness.

As it stands should i get a reasonable offer, I will trade the ranger for a fuel sipping hatch, and budget for wear and tear. And offer a daily courier between jhb and Vaal to help save on costs. I can do most services myself, and can spend a night or 2 in Kyalami with friends.

I appreciate the input from everyone.
    All the best. And remember, you can keep your CV out there in the meantime, you aren't locked-in with this new job for life. Maybe something better pops up in a year or two.

O, just thought of something :get a dashcam if you don't have one already. People do crazy stuff on the road.

Cheers
    Last edited by FatPlant; 2022/05/14 at 07:22 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to FatPlant For This Useful Post:

All the best. And remember, you can keep your CV out there in the meantime, you aren't locked-in with this new job for life. Maybe something better pops up in a year or two.

O, just thought of something :get a dashcam if you don't have one already. People do crazy stuff on the road.

Cheers
    Agreed and thanks, Have to mention that the job market now compared to 9 years ago when I moved jobs last, is way different.

Good luck to any pale oke looking for a new job
    Last edited by onderbroek; 2022/05/14 at 08:14 AM.
    hak vrystaat!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to onderbroek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mileage View Post
    At that distance and time I would be considering moving. It's got to be close to R10k in fuel a month plus milage on the vehicle. Spending 3hrs or more a day in the car will take a toll on family life.
    Not forgetting your own fatigue, which will translate to some work output or efficiency issues. I would move if I were you, may be not with family (depending on other factors) and just be with them weekends.

If you're going to look at the Duster DCi also consider the Qashqai. Same kannie dood DCi engine, better ride quality.
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

31. The Following User Says Thank You to AwieT For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast