Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: The Long Commute - What car to get? Or how do you commute?

Used to do Wonderboom (PTA) to Meyersdal that was 190kms a day, then Wonderboom to Bedfordview (160 a day) now the office moved to Isando so its 145 a day. Its mainly N1, R21 so the Polo works as its a bit of a mix with 10km town driving at the beginning / end of the day and then mainly highway. I'm out of the home at around 05:30 and at the office around 6:15 (going like a Boeing), the evening varies but is generally longer. 2012 Bluemontion 1.2 Diesel gives me 4.6 l/100km in reasonable comfort (4 years worth of data to back it up). A family member used to commute Herbertsdale to Mosselbaai in the same year model and got comparable figures.
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jones View Post
    Used to do Wonderboom (PTA) to Meyersdal that was 190kms a day, then Wonderboom to Bedfordview (160 a day) now the office moved to Isando so its 145 a day. Its mainly N1, R21 so the Polo works as its a bit of a mix with 10km town driving at the beginning / end of the day and then mainly highway. I'm out of the home at around 05:30 and at the office around 6:15 (going like a Boeing), the evening varies but is generally longer. 2012 Bluemontion 1.2 Diesel gives me 4.6 l/100km in reasonable comfort (4 years worth of data to back it up). A family member used to commute Herbertsdale to Mosselbaai in the same year model and got comparable figures.
    Have your done a petrol vs diesel running cost calc yet?

The Fuel consumption sounds great, but what if you need to replace? or repair
    hak vrystaat!

Quote Originally Posted by AwieT View Post
    If you're going to look at the Duster DCi also consider the Qashqai. Same kannie dood DCi engine, better ride quality.
    Want to jump in here.... SWAMBO has the Qashqai and LOVES it... also sips fuel... easy to drive, and can fly if it's needs to
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Want to jump in here.... SWAMBO has the Qashqai and LOVES it... also sips fuel... easy to drive, and can fly if it's needs to

The 1.5 or 2.0?
    hak vrystaat!

BMW F30 320d.

better than 20kmpl, as reliable as they come and cheap to service. Comfortable, quick and great for family car duties as well (big boot)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m0lt3n For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    BMW F30 320d.

better than 20kmpl, as reliable as they come and cheap to service. Comfortable, quick and great for family car duties as well (big boot)
    It is eye opening to see how much you can pack in that boot. (We have the e90, but the same principle applies)

Two week holiday at the coast, family of 4. No issues to pack everything in there. Even had spare capacity to put both wheels of my MTB in the boot, which meant that only the frame was mounted to the bike rack(less air resistance).

The ground clearance benefits of SUVs are great, but the practicality of a proper Sedan is very underrated.
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD

Quote Originally Posted by FatPlant View Post
    It is eye opening to see how much you can pack in that boot. (We have the e90, but the same principle applies)

Two week holiday at the coast, family of 4. No issues to pack everything in there. Even had spare capacity to put both wheels of my MTB in the boot, which meant that only the frame was mounted to the bike rack(less air resistance).

The ground clearance benefits of SUVs are great, but the practicality of a proper Sedan is very underrated.

I had an E90 320d and then a F30 330d. Boot in F30 is a lot bigger.
    Raised two children with the F30 and more than once got told there is no way everything will fit, (stootkarretjie, camping cot, doekesakke en klomp ander strond) and managed every time. Sold the car at 200k km and still see it in town daily. Faultless.

I fitted tyres one profile higher than OEM, didnt look as nice but helped a lot over speedbumps and on bad roads. (F30 suspension already a much better ride than E90).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to m0lt3n For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by onderbroek View Post
    The 1.5 or 2.0?
    The 1.5
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6