Default Landcruiser double cab conversion

Hello I am thinking of doing the double cab conversion (Meano) on a work Landcruiser single cab bakkie.

Does anyone have experience with this conversion which i can talk to or see the car in person to see the workmanship?

Thanks
    Last edited by Niela; 2022/05/10 at 11:30 AM.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110 - Thinking of selling.
    2014 4.2 Toyota Landcruiser SC
    2017 2.4gd6 Hilux 4x4 DC Manual - Sold

Default Re: Landcruiser double cab conversion

I have seen a couple of their conversions, not lately, before Toyota marketed their own DC.

The workmanship was very good, couldn't fault it.

Best would be to get in touch with them and discuss it, do they even still do it now that one can buy a DC straight from Toyota?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

R130 000 vra hulle vir n conversion sonder onderstel verleng, dus met n kort bak.
    Hul werk is ok. Daar is maar soms foute met deur knippe.

Persoonlik hou ek meer van hul reguit deur as Toyota se wiel ronding deur.

Met huidige pryse, is dit moeite werd

Bin is smaller than Toyota DC, but cab is bigger so more room for passengers. Storage under the rear seat is a big plus over the Toyota DC. Toyota DC actually feels cramped in comprison.

Meano rear seat to my mind was more comortable.

Rust can be an issue, also leaks on rear doors which won’t seal as flush as OEM dc.

sometimes there are issues at the join where chassis is extended.

Have owned both so more than welcome to give me a shout for a more detailed break down

We loved our Meano and it is really a worthwhile option if OEM dc is not

Sorry, on phone at wild-coast on fishing trip so very short and cryptic reply, hope it helps though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:

I think a worthwhile "investment", BUT dont expect original factory detail, etc etc.............Des does a Vehicle designed for a specific job, so there WILL be a flaw here and there.
    But I agree with Comments in here - IMHO, actually a (far) more comfy, spacious conversion than factory.
    Des has also done a LOT LOT LOT of these, so his experience is beyond doubt (I think) the very best.
    I have done work with him on a Troopy and a game viewer before, and yes, can HIGHLY recommend them.

He's also a flexible Guy, and can literally make you anything you want (and advise you to do it or not).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

The conversion on my '75 series is about 10 years old now, the van is in for some odds and ends as I am selling it, but it should be back around end of the week, you are welcome to come and have a look. Based in Donkerhoek, rural eastern side of Pretoria.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1652679088201.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	632.9 KB 
ID:	656646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1652679088191.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	566.5 KB 
ID:	656647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1652679088183.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	656648  
    *** Removed ***

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moetbiedjiewegkom For This Useful Post:

I just had a Toyota VDJ79 d cab extended further 300 mm or so by Pretoria Engineering (they did all of the old d cab chassis extensions for Meano (afaik).. they do an excellent job. For sure the Meano cab is much longer than the current Toyota d cabs (which is based on the 4 door version)… very disappointed with the rear seat leg room. On that basis alone I would go Meano if possible….

Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post
    Hello I am thinking of doing the double cab conversion (Meano) on a work Landcruiser single cab bakkie.

Does anyone have experience with this conversion which i can talk to or see the car in person to see the workmanship?

Thanks
    Kind Regards Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulAngola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Bin is smaller than Toyota DC, but cab is bigger so more room for passengers. Storage under the rear seat is a big plus over the Toyota DC. Toyota DC actually feels cramped in comprison.

Meano rear seat to my mind was more comortable.

Rust can be an issue, also leaks on rear doors which won’t seal as flush as OEM dc.

sometimes there are issues at the join where chassis is extended.

Have owned both so more than welcome to give me a shout for a more detailed break down

We loved our Meano and it is really a worthwhile option if OEM dc is not

Sorry, on phone at wild-coast on fishing trip so very short and cryptic reply, hope it helps though.
    Very happy with my conversion. Rear seat has lots of packing space underneath. Very handy for spare belts, jumpers, tow ropes, etc. And more spacious.

The Conversion's load bin is about 30-40? mm shorter than than my old Hilux: Had to cut the slides shorter when the slide was transplanted from the Hilux.

Guys first I only respond to this link because some send it to me by WhatsApp and ask me to. I have mentioned it in previous threads some time back that it is very common for rust to form at body panel joints. Seems very few panel beaters and aftermarket coach builders can duplicate OEM rust prevention.
    One of the Mining House I do work for has many Hilux bakkies converted into station wagons. With in a year or two most of them start cracking and rusting on the panel joints.

Good friend of mine converted a Patrol into a DC bakkie he had the same problem after two or three years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Guys first I only respond to this link because some send it to me by WhatsApp and ask me to. I have mentioned it in previous threads some time back that it is very common for rust to form at body panel joints. Seems very few panel beaters and aftermarket coach builders can duplicate OEM rust prevention.
    One of the Mining House I do work for has many Hilux bakkies converted into station wagons. With in a year or two most of them start cracking and rusting on the panel joints.

Good friend of mine converted a Patrol into a DC bakkie he had the same problem after two or three years.
    Thanks for the reply Grips. I am going to definitely have a look at that.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110 - Thinking of selling.
    2014 4.2 Toyota Landcruiser SC
    2017 2.4gd6 Hilux 4x4 DC Manual - Sold

This is my Meano DC

Pulled out of retirement (4x4community.co.za)

Bought new as single cab in 2010
    Converted in 2013 to DC at about 140k on clock
    Still have it, 260k later

Enjoy everything about it but as mention by some, do not expect factory standards

Small annoyances
    Central locking only on front doors, so remember to lock the rears manually
    Rear doors have some wind noise, different rubbers made a difference but now need positive input to close
    Rear windows tend to drop slowly by them selves , need a twist up every now and again
    Rear doors do not open as wide as a standard rear door, you need to get use to a bit of a slap back
    Rust, I have had no major issues with rust, had it touched up last year by Meano when I had canopy made
    Some heat from exhaust system cab (floor ) , piece of conveyer belt sorted it
    Rear bench a we bit upright, but my kids never complained and I drive.....

Small +'s over OM DC
    LOTS of leg space for rear occupants
    As mentioned, space under seat are magic
    x2 90l fuel tanks (Main & Sub)

Also can confirm what was said about Desmond and team service

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post
    Hello I am thinking of doing the double cab conversion (Meano) ..............
    Not relevant I know, but phew - memories!
    My first 4x4 was a Land Rover Series 2A that I bought from Standard Bank in 1972. It was fitted as an CIT vehicle.
    I stripped off all the armouring and had a full canopy custom built and fitted by (drumroll ..................) Meano & Sons.
    It was the family vehicle for years, sold it to a friend, bought it back many years later, sold it again (still with the Meano canopy) and I'm told it's still going.
    Dream break over.
    If you need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    This is my Meano DC

Pulled out of retirement (4x4community.co.za)

Bought new as single cab in 2010
    Converted in 2013 to DC at about 140k on clock
    Still have it, 260k later

Enjoy everything about it but as mention by some, do not expect factory standards

Small annoyances
    Central locking only on front doors, so remember to lock the rears manually
    Rear doors have some wind noise, different rubbers made a difference but now need positive input to close
    Rear windows tend to drop slowly by them selves , need a twist up every now and again
    Rear doors do not open as wide as a standard rear door, you need to get use to a bit of a slap back
    Rust, I have had no major issues with rust, had it touched up last year by Meano when I had canopy made
    Some heat from exhaust system cab (floor ) , piece of conveyer belt sorted it
    Rear bench a we bit upright, but my kids never complained and I drive.....

Small +'s over OM DC
    LOTS of leg space for rear occupants
    As mentioned, space under seat are magic
    x2 90l fuel tanks (Main & Sub)

Also can confirm what was said about Desmond and team service

Regards
    1. On my conversion the rear doors are on central locking.
    2. No wind noise.
    3. Windows do not drop: very stiff to wind up or down.
    4. Small rust spots on top where the cab was extended: I dabbed Car Wax (Turtle Wax) on the join seam with my finger and it stopped the rust. On top so nobody notices.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    1. On my conversion the rear doors are on central locking.
    2. No wind noise.
    3. Windows do not drop: very stiff to wind up or down.
    4. Small rust spots on top where the cab was extended: I dabbed Car Wax (Turtle Wax) on the join seam with my finger and it stopped the rust. On top so nobody notices.
    Thx Stephen, don't want to highjack the thread but when was yours done? Would like to find out if they can convert mine