Default Disco 1 cv joint trouble

Hi every body.
    need advice please. I think my front right cv joint has seen better days. Problem is Iím on my way back home through Chobe, Savuti etc. Can I drive with a busted cv joint? Its rough roads so Iím a bit concerned. Will I be able to drive if the cv joint greets completely?

Default Re: Disco 1 cv joint trouble

You will either see off you can wrap some plastic with tape around it. To keep all dust/mud etc out of it as any ingress will act like grinding paste and destroy it. Alternative if you have tools you might be able to remove and drive in 2 wheel drive. Save toy the cost of a new drive shaft.

Remove front propshaft and lock the centre diff and you'll be fine
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 3 SE TDV6
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    Remove front propshaft and lock the centre diff and you'll be fine
    So I did something very stupid. I donít know why I did it. I had a brain fart. But the cv popped and we went nowhere. So I locked the centre diff and off we went. But I did not take the propshaft off. Drove 13300km like that all the way home. Stupid I know. So what is the worst case scenario for me now? Have massive backlash. What did I destroy by not removing the propshaft?

Are you talking about the back lash on the out put flange on the LT230 or on the pinion, you going to have to remove CV and then clean everything up in swivel hub, might as well do other side as well, also drain diff oil and see what oil looks like and if any crap on magnet or comes out with oil, if you pull both side shafts out it not a big job to pull center portion out and inspect that
    the front out put shaft on LT230 does have back lash as it is a dog gear that en guages the CDL and your center diff would of been locked so that should be fine
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Are you talking about the back lash on the out put flange on the LT230 or on the pinion, you going to have to remove CV and then clean everything up in swivel hub, might as well do other side as well, also drain diff oil and see what oil looks like and if any crap on magnet or comes out with oil, if you pull both side shafts out it not a big job to pull center portion out and inspect that
    the front out put shaft on LT230 does have back lash as it is a dog gear that en guages the CDL and your center diff would of been locked so that should be fine
    To be honest. I donít have a clue where that backlash is coming from. Sounds like and feels like pinion but then again I donít know much. Iím just scared I buggered the whole flippen thing by keeping the propshaft on.
    All I know is I did not have this much backlash. Its a lot all of a sudden. Other thing, my gears donít change so smooth like it used to. What does what happened have to do with the gearbox?

Will the transfer case be fine driving in centre diff lock on tar so far?

Yes, with one prop shaft removed and at lowish speed.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Yes, with one prop shaft removed and at lowish speed.
    But the propshaft wasnít removed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kudus For This Useful Post:

jfh

As far as I know driving on tar with the center diff locked and with both prop shafts fitted, turning and working, chances are unfortunately good that you have damaged your transfer box and/or your rear diff due to "wind-up".
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2022/05/15 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

2000 Disco Td5
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Got under the car today. Backlash is on transfercase at front prop. And the car went so well. I messed up royally

How much back lash have you got there is back lash in the front out put shaft
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    How much back lash have you got there is back lash in the front out put shaft
    ALOT. Much much more than what I had. Only had a little bit before but now it is massive. When turning with my hand it goes quite far.

If the CV broke and you locked the centre diff and continued driving it it wouldn't have caused wind up because the broken cv can spin freely. Even if you didnt remove the front propshaft.

Ive done the same on my D2 when i broke a CV.

Once the CV or sideshaft is broken you will have a lot of backlash in the drive train. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.

Get the CVs replaced, check out the condition of the splines on the sideshafts front and rear as well as the drive members. Fix all the problems, put it back together and you might find that you're excessive backlash is then pretty much back to normal.

Edit:
    D1 should have solid driveshafts at the rear, not a seperate sideshaft and drive member
    Last edited by JeandreDiedericks; 2022/05/15 at 08:35 PM.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 (Will allways end up with an V8)
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 3.5 V8 (The Green Machine)
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100" (The Coiler)
    2010 Mercedes C350 CDI (The Daily)

Ex.
    Discovery 1:TDI and a V8. 2x Discovery 2 V8. Discovery 3 TDV6. Freelander 2 TD4, a C350 CDI and a Subaru Forester XT