Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakkies!?

Default Bakkies!?

Quote Originally Posted by MUGmug View Post
    This is very good advise and I second it.

Quick story....October last year I went through exactly this exercise.....except my budget was R150 000 CASH as it is to be used as a site vehicle. I had basically given up hope when a friend of mine suggested the D40 Navara.
    He was part of the team at Tubular..a large steel manufacturing and installation company that were involved with Eskom. Their entire fleet consisted of Nissans....from patrols to navaras.
    He gave me the fleet mechanic's details and I had a very long chat with him wrt the reliability of the YD 25 Nissan motor and the rest of the vehicle.

So to cut this story short....the fleet of navaras are abused by many of the drivers and they have examples with well over 500 000 km on the clock with original injectors,turbo's etc. never been opened. His advice was to buy a manual not an auto and go 4 x 2 not 4 x 4 if it has high mileage. Reason for this is the manual gearbox is simpler and cost less to fix and the 4 x 4 has more bushes and seals that will need replacing at higher mileages ...he says this is quite expensive.

I did exactly this and bought a 2010 Navara 4x2 manual with 315 000 km on the clock from a guy in durban. Paid R115 000 for it. Ive spent about R10 000 on replacing all belts,rear drums,replacing diff oils and gearbox oils and a full service.

All I can say is that im impressed. I really dont understand why they werent more popular in the day. It drives really well,is comfortable,fuel efficient,cheap to maintain. A full service kit and oil is about R1500. Doesnt use any oil or smoke on startup and idle.

Had it on the computer and all is in spec even injectors and fuel pump(all original). I actually left the wifes X5 at home in December and took this thing to Mosselbaai. Got 12,5km/l at 125km/h all the way. I average mostly town driving 9,5 l /100km.

All in all really happy with this buy. Never owned a vehicle with more than 150 000 on the clock. So my expectations were low to begin with.

Take one for a test drive and report back.

PS- Ive done 30 000km with it since Oct last year,so its already on 345 000km
    The only reason I believe they are so underrated is because South Africa is drunk on Toyota. Nissan has as strong a pedigree in making decent and reliable vehicles as Toyota does.

Just the mere fact that the d40 was still sold new in the USA market until last year (named the Frontier) shows you how well it was designed from the start for it to keep up with all the other "trucks" sold in the USA for so many years! And they do have really nice trucks on their market.

The same goes for other Nissans like the XTrail sold as the Nissan Rogue, they were also top of the sales charts in their market section for a number of years in the USA. And here in South Africa they are also a helluva good value proposition on the used market compared to the RAV.

My neighbours were in the market about two years ago for a used crossover and I suggested the XTrail, they also looked at RAV's, CRV's etc and ended up buying one. Needless to say they are extremely happy with their Xtrail.

I have owned Toyota's myself, and they are great products, but they are not necessarily better than others, they are definitely not necessarily the best value for money on the used market.
    Last edited by Hooly; 2022/05/06 at 04:03 AM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Mahindra Pickup S6 Double Cab 4x4 Auto (Punjab Cruiser)
    Mahindra Scorpio-N 4Xplor (Mumbai Cruiser)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bakkies!?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Someone on the forum already offered me a 2009 Hilux, 3.0 D-4D 4x4 Auto for R235k, but it's a private deal. It might be what I have to end up doing, sure, so perhaps it's an option down the line. No idea on the mileage on that bakkie, though, and it's a bit older than I was hoping to get. I also can't trade in on a private deal
    Sell to WBC, and, if that's the DC you want, we can work out the rest. Bel my as ek kan help.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

I just had a look on Cars.co.za and their is a Fiat Fullback available in the WC for R259k, decent mileage 2016 model. You won't beat that value.
    Henk Stols

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yster1979 For This Useful Post:

Someone on the forum already offered me a 2009 Hilux, 3.0 D-4D 4x4 Auto for R235k, but it's a private deal. It might be what I have to end up doing, sure, so perhaps it's an option down the line. No idea on the mileage on that bakkie, though, and it's a bit older than I was hoping to get. I also can't trade in on a private deal
    Wynand, eerlik my 2c.

Koop dan n Amarok. Vir jou budget kon jul n goeie Triton opspoor, maar granted jou vrou wil nie, 100%, dit is jul geld en jul voertuig. Almal gaan se ja maar as daai Amarok "bang" gaan, gaan jy hoes. En as n Ford "bang" gaan? Ford gee nie parte verniet weg nie.

Karol het iewers in die begin van jou fred 3 links gestuur vir Amarok's, die 2de een was in Richards baai, maar daai het na n baie goeie deal gelyk. En hyt maar 150k kms opgehad. Icepick is in Richards baai, laat hy gaan loer.

Hilux is ongelukkig uit baie (incl myne) se budgets 2de hands, en ek sal eerlik nie n ouer Ranger ry nie, die getuies op die forum en oral is daar om te lees. Ek sal daai link van Karol gaan soek en weer hier edit. Ekt self ook n Amarok gehad, dis fantastiese goed.

Edit, sorry ek sien dit is Oos Londen
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2022/05/06 at 06:40 AM.

Swambo has a 2018 base Ranger. We bought it new for R280k so I thought it might be an option for you to look at something like that. But then this was the cheapest one I could find:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sale/ford/ranger/2.2/26391179?vf=3&db=1&s360=0&so=1&pl=1

Wonder what her car is worth now with only 40 000 km on and in mint condition with Ford mags and a few extras.

Just a note on the Amarok, the services are not as cheap as Toyota for example, on my previous 2l the timing belt service was just over R16k and the normal services probably 3/4k.

You will probably get away cheaper with an independent workshop, I just prefer to stick with the agents.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

Yeah I stuck to agents while I earned a good salary. I'm fully on Indies now. I don't mind them, they work just as well (if you find a good one).

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Swambo has a 2018 base Ranger. We bought it new for R280k so I thought it might be an option for you to look at something like that. But then this was the cheapest one I could find:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sale/ford/ranger/2.2/26391179?vf=3&db=1&s360=0&so=1&pl=1

Wonder what her car is worth now with only 40 000 km on and in mint condition with Ford mags and a few extras.
    Let me know what she wants for it, that looks like a damn deal :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Just a note on the Amarok, the services are not as cheap as Toyota for example, on my previous 2l the timing belt service was just over R16k and the normal services probably 3/4k.

You will probably get away cheaper with an independent workshop, I just prefer to stick with the agents.
    Yes, but services are every 15k km compared to 10k in the Toyota. In the end, it becomes very even.

And VW services are not that expensive. If I compare my Touareg to my previous 105, the 105 was about 7k-10k every 10k km whereas the Touareg was 4k-6k every 15k km.

Expensive items on the Treg though are brakes
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 200 VX-R
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D
    VW Amarok PanAm V6

Wynand

Kyk bietjie op WBC. Gister geloer en daar is paar Amaroks wat kan werk .
    Wicus Diedericks

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Yes, but services are every 15k km compared to 10k in the Toyota. In the end, it becomes very even.

And VW services are not that expensive. If I compare my Touareg to my previous 105, the 105 was about 7k-10k every 10k km whereas the Touareg was 4k-6k every 15k km.

Expensive items on the Treg though are brakes
    Good point, it should become close.

As for the brakes it has a lot of power to stop.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

Financially (not the advice that was asked for) now is definitely not the time to get into more debt, especially if you're still recovering from being covid collateral... Or at the very least, increase every other part of your budget (fuel/bond/food/etc) and then check again how much you can realistically afford if the economy worsens by the end of the year.

Specifically on bakkies, I get you... I don't need a double cab, but I WANT one with a sore heart, have for a while. I spent easily 18 months going to dealerships every other weekend trying to find something good (no brand preference at all) within my budget, and its such a minefield out there. Things are even worse with the way used car prices have gone through the roof. Also no what you want to hear, but I would maybe keep looking but don't actually plan to buy anything this year unless a real bargain pops up. Hopefully the world settles down over the next few months and specifically for your current needs, this will mean used bakkie prices become a bit more realistic.

Good luck...
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarshallGTi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Wynand

Kyk bietjie op WBC. Gister geloer en daar is paar Amaroks wat kan werk .
    Dankie Wicus, maar as ek by WBC koop kan ek netsowel privaat ook koop. Hulle bied geen naverkoopdiens nie, omdat hulle as iets soos 'n auction house or so iets geregistreer is, so hulle word nie deur die CPA geraak nie, en hulle steur hulle nie daaraan nie. Daar was laas maand 'n geval op die forum van so 'n geval ook, as ek dit nie mishet nie. Koop 'n kar, twee dae later pak die hele ding op en hulle vat geen verantwoordelikheid nie.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Dankie Wicus, maar as ek by WBC koop kan ek netsowel privaat ook koop. Hulle bied geen naverkoopdiens nie, omdat hulle as iets soos 'n auction house or so iets geregistreer is, so hulle word nie deur die CPA geraak nie, en hulle steur hulle nie daaraan nie. Daar was laas maand 'n geval op die forum van so 'n geval ook, as ek dit nie mishet nie. Koop 'n kar, twee dae later pak die hele ding op en hulle vat geen verantwoordelikheid nie.
    https://www.webuycars.co.za/faqs

Hulle verkoop kategorie A en B voertuie.

As jy n B koop is jy op jou eie.

So nie al die stories dra dieselfde gewig nie.

Dit is net ongelooflik dat mense so baie geld op n voertuig sal bestee sonder om huiswerk te doen en dan na die tyd daaroor te huil.

I would like a newer more modern double cab, but even though I have no debt, I still wont buy at the current used car prices - and me thinks the prices will NEVER go down to more realistic levels again, since the rand is losing value faster and faster as the world economy moves into a recession, and our incomes does NOT keep up with inflation. Also the thought of 72 months paying off a fast depreciating asset scares me. Just know that whatever you pay for a bakkie, you will be paying 10 - 15% more than what the insurance value of the thing is - since these little boekies does not take into account the actual current situation.

Also add to that the interest you will have to pay the bank, and then the next day what if some lowlife crashes into you, and car is written off, or stolen - insurance will only pay what the boekkie says, and you will then still owe the bank a SHED load of money, that you dont have, and also no vehicle.

I have not had a salary increase in 2 years, so I will drive my old rattle box till the end of days.

My new nickname is Mr Spa(a)r !

Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Toyotota Rav4 4 door - rooi gevaar

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Jy is reg vir cash sales, maar as jy finansier kan hulle nie die CPA sidestep nie.
    Wicus Diedericks

Ek is 100% met jou daar, ek sal nie sommer by WBC koop, ek weet eenfoudig net nie genoeg van karre, heel ander storie vir iemand wie sy storie ken en weet waarvoor om te kyk.

Aan die ander kant twyfel ek of jy regtig backup gaan kry by 'n dealer met 'n ouer bakkie wat nie meer onder warranty is, ek twyfel of 'n dealer na 'n maand of 2 big ticket goed soos 'n turbo of injectors sal vervang op hulle koste, CPA of nie.

Paar ouens het gese Amarok, net soos met ander Duitsers sal ek nie 'n Amarok buite diens plan en warranty ry, hulle dienste en parte is eenfoudig te duur, dit is wel 'n baie nice bakkie.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

Let me know what she wants for it, that looks like a damn deal :P
    Sorry bud, not selling for another 3/4 years. We'll sell it when it gets to 100 000km

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    and me thinks the prices will NEVER go down to more realistic levels again, since the rand is losing value faster and faster as the world economy moves into a recession, and our incomes does NOT keep up with inflation.
    100% accurate. Nothing ever drops back down at the rate it increased. I know a lot of people are waiting are waiting for the prices to drop down again but I just don't see it happening. They might stay flat for a bit longer yes but start to significantly drop again....doubt it.

2020 Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider D/C 4x4
    Ex: 2017 Jimny & F800gs Adventure

A man who lacks purpose distracts himself with pleasure.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Ek is 100% met jou daar, ek sal nie sommer by WBC koop, ek weet eenfoudig net nie genoeg van karre, heel ander storie vir iemand wie sy storie ken en weet waarvoor om te kyk.

Aan die ander kant twyfel ek of jy regtig backup gaan kry by 'n dealer met 'n ouer bakkie wat nie meer onder warranty is, ek twyfel of 'n dealer na 'n maand of 2 big ticket goed soos 'n turbo of injectors sal vervang op hulle koste, CPA of nie.

Paar ouens het gese Amarok, net soos met ander Duitsers sal ek nie 'n Amarok buite diens plan en warranty ry, hulle dienste en parte is eenfoudig te duur, dit is wel 'n baie nice bakkie.
    Ek het verlede jaar my cambelt, waterpomp saam met al die pulleys en idlers vervang. Parte en arbeid alles in my net meer as R4500 gekos. WAAR KOM JULLE AAN HIERDIE DUUR PARTE STORIE? Daar is baie goeie alternatiewe beskikbaar, en volop. Dit is my tweede Amarok, vanoggend op 352k km. Diens hom by `n goeie Indie vandat hy uit waarborg gegaan het op 90k. Ek het planne om nog tot verby 450k km te ry. (Twee juniors op varsity). Happy met my "cheap" Amarok.

Groetnis

Koos
    Last edited by Beurvoort; 2022/05/06 at 11:12 AM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

If there are 10 different vehicle brands, you'll get 10 different guys promoting their brand of vehicle with 100 reasons why it's the best. For every brand you'll also get the guy who tells you it is crap because he once drove/owned one. And yes, a lot of the "but their parts are expensive / non existent" is just hearsay.

I personally believe you don't get bad bakkies anymore. When buying 2nd hand it is a bit of a gamble, but if lucky then any of the mentioned brands can be a good buy.

But in the end the Triton is still the best of them all
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast