Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakkies!?

Default Re: Bakkies!?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I also can't trade in on a private deal
    We buy cars might be the answer. Even though I'm sure that at these times many dealerships would be happy to buy that CRV off you in order to keep stock coming in.
    Or sell privately, too.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Bikes can go on a rack, fine, but the car also isn't the biggest anymore, and fitting two grownups, two kids and grandma with all the luggage in the car is a challenge. I can get a trailer, sure, that's what I'm doing now, but the car's not the strongest and fully loaded it struggles to really take over trucks and stuff on even level ground. Remember, it's a nice 114kW motor but it only produces something silly like 180Nm. Hell, when I took my wife's grandparents on holiday a while back I got behind a truck, overtook it (legally) but didn't see a car in a dip. By the time I saw the car I was halfway next to the truck, car behind him was close so I couldn't get back into the lane and I had to drive off the road, incoming-traffic side at 120km/h just to avoid a head-on.
    I think the CRV rear seat space will be hard to beat with any of these doublecabs. But I might be wrong.
    I recall my CRV was an awesome car for lugging the family around in.

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Sho man. What a rollercoaster you guys had! Just glad you came out ok.

Look, it's your choice, but lemme put in my 5c.

The conservative bastid in me (after reading your story) screams, don't buy anything now. You just got back on your feet with ur vrou getting a steady job, why spend the surplus money on a depreciating thing. Rather byt vas, pay off some of the debt and take it from there. Dogs can wait.

As you have experienced, things can change in a blink of an eye....

Tough call to make. Only you can make it. Good luck! Out!

Exactly what I was already thinking when this thread started.
    Coming from someone who also lost his job due to covid, I'm back on my feat, but salary and debt wise not even close to where I was before covid.
    The last thing I'll do at this stage is make more debt, especially on something which is a want rather than a need and to be brutaly honest, sounds like this bakkie is more of a want than a need for you guys.

Knowing first hand how quickly things can change, literally over night, I won't go searching for stuff to spend a new salary on before giving things some time to settle down.

Good luck.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I think the CRV rear seat space will be hard to beat with any of these doublecabs. But I might be wrong.
    I recall my CRV was an awesome car for lugging the family around in.

I drove in the back of a CRV for the first time in quite a while the other day and have to agree with you. Ok the one I drove in was quite a bit newer and I have no idea how they changed over time, but that thing is huge in the back, definately much bigger than a 7th gen DC Hilux which I'm very familiar with.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

I took a softraider to places off-road cars hesitated to go, I put roofracks on, got a trailer and fought against my urge to buy a "better" car.

I also had a itch a few years ago on getting a newer "more practical" car after my finances improved drastically, but I've been following Dave Ramsey`s babysteps, and waited 2 years for the right deal to come up. Debt on all your combined depreciating assets should NOT be more than 30% of you annual income.

If you dont earn R800k/annum, you cannot afford a 250K car comfortably.
    Last edited by Vormoto; 2022/05/05 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vormoto View Post
    I took a softraider to places off-road cars hesitated to go, I put roofracks on, got a trailer and fought against my urge to buy a "better" car.

I also had a itch a few years ago on getting a newer "more practical" car after my finances improved drastically, but I've been following Dave Ramsey`s babysteps, and waited 2 years for the right deal to come up. Debt on all your combined depreciating assets should NOT be more than 30% of you annual income.

If you dont earn R800k/annum, you cannot afford a 250K car comfortably.
    Yeah i think you are supposed to use the anual payments on said car, not the full price of it since you don't pay cars off in one year...?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectaitor View Post
    Yeah i think you are supposed to use the annual payments on said car, not the full price of it since you don't pay cars off in one year...?
    it is just a way of putting debt in ratio, Adjust your standard of living to what you earn annually. Buy a Car at 30% of your annual income, Buy a House at 3x you annual income, (usually the 2 biggest purchases a average person will make) That way you will be comfortable with payments, and accommodate with fluctuations of interest and rising cost of living.

That is what Im doing, Im not by any means a financial guru, but I've listened to advice, and it is working out great for me.

OP asked for advice, my advice is, lower your budget and live within your means. buy a older vehicle that will "Work" for you, or save up a bigger deposit (save the extra 3k for a year or 2, and see if you live without that extra money first before making a commitment.)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Coming from someone who also lost his job due to covid, I'm back on my feat, but salary and debt wise not even close to where I was before covid.
    The last thing I'll do at this stage is make more debt, especially on something which is a want rather than a need and to be brutaly honest, sounds like this bakkie is more of a want than a need for you guys.

Knowing first hand how quickly things can change, literally over night, I won't go searching for stuff to spend a new salary on before giving things some time to settle down.

Good luck.
    Same here, some 18 months without an income until October last year.

Seeing that the Russian war hugely affects the availability of wheat and sunflower oil on the global market, I believe we might be in for quite an increase in basic food prices still to come.
    Wealthy and financially stable countries in Europe and the U.S. have experienced increased inflation, we will feel the sting in our pockets soon, I think.
    Id be careful to add anything to my monthly expenses, theyll rise soon enough.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Not preaching!

But if I was in your shoes I would not buy and old high milage bakkie now. As you explained your budget, I honestly think this is a bad idea, no matter how you look at it the bakkie will be more expensive to run than the Honda.

On average here in Randburg diesel is now R24/l and most bakkies has a 80l tank which equals to R1920 just to fill up once. Tyres are a lot more expensive than the Honda.

Also keep in mind that the interest rates are going to go up aggressively now so rather keep the bit of extra you have for the rate hikes and rising living costs than tying it up in a old vehicle that will only cost you more money than your current car.

Not telling you what you must do just my 2c
    They say money can't buy happiness but it bought my Jeep and I am happy as ..........

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeepanator For This Useful Post:

P Series is getting good reviews but, it still has to prove itself after 100k km. Too early to tell. And resale value is not something I think it will do very well at.

And let’s face it, the Chinese have come far, but most things still don’t last no matter how shiny or solid at the start.
    Last edited by Darth; 2022/05/05 at 05:16 PM.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    I would stay away from Ford and VW.

Ford is not reliable high mileage.

VW will break the bank when something goes wrong out of warranty perhaps. You get stuff at Goldwagen but do they supply major engine parts and odds and ends?

I personally think anything Jap will be more reliable and cheaper to run in the long run. Nissan, Isuzu, Toyota and Mitsubishi.

DO NOT MENTION NNISSAN on that list. Nissan parts are as expensive and VW. Reason why NAVARRA is not selling.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simphesa For This Useful Post:

Default Bakkies!?

If I were shopping in that price bracket, I would look for a D40 Navara. I had one for a while, the v9x 3.0dci. Not just because of the fantastic engine, but that was my favourite bakkie I have owned. I later traded it in on a brand new d23, but I still preferred the ride and the cab of the D40. If you take a drive in one and then get into a Hilux you will see what I mean, the Hilux's cab feels cramped by comparison. The ride is much,much better than a Hilux(Had one before the Navara) and that includes the latest ones!

I see there are many on the market with reasonable mileage even if you have to go for the basic spec XE model it would be a good buy but if you can find a nice clean LE spec it would be even better.

From what I understand those 2.5dci's are pretty reliable motors, Nissan even dropped the 2.3 bi-turbo in the d23 and replaced it with the previous 2.5.

The d40 was still being sold on the new car market until last year in the USA!
    Last edited by Hooly; 2022/05/05 at 07:46 PM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Mahindra Pickup S6 Double Cab 4x4 Auto (Punjab Cruiser)
    Mahindra Scorpio-N 4Xplor (Mumbai Cruiser)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simphesa View Post
    DO NOT MENTION NNISSAN on that list. Nissan parts are as expensive and VW. Reason why NAVARRA is not selling.
    I'd like to see this on paper not hearsay.
    Louis Adendorff

In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    You need to seriously consider a Mitsubishi Triton.
    I have been told, TRITON PARTS COSTS ARM AND LEG. ISNT THAT TRUE?

Default Bakkies!?

Something like this, and twist their arm a bit!

2016 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi XE Double-Cab
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...toria/8019108/

Or this one if you want some extras.

2015 Nissan Navara 2.5 Dci XE D/c Manual (Diesel)
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...Nigel/7821809/
    Last edited by Hooly; 2022/05/05 at 07:39 PM.
    Louis Adendorff

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    2015 Nissan Navara 2.5 Dci XE D/c Manual (Diesel)
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...Nigel/7821809/
    Thanks man. Something like this is what we're looking for. ~100k km on the clock (less than my car), newer than my car, and I love the extras. I've got a short wife, so steprails is a big plus and I am a huge fan of a canopy when going on holiday. Nudge bar and stone guard is nice to haves, although I really don't care for those stickers, I'll just take them off!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Same here, some 18 months without an income until October last year.

Seeing that the Russian war hugely affects the availability of wheat and sunflower oil on the global market, I believe we might be in for quite an increase in basic food prices still to come.
    Wealthy and financially stable countries in Europe and the U.S. have experienced increased inflation, we will feel the sting in our pockets soon, I think.
    I’d be careful to add anything to my monthly expenses, they’ll rise soon enough.

We are about to get a nasty shock of our lives later this year. Discovery Health intentionally moved their announced medical fund premiums increases to later this year, for the reason of financial issues everyone has been living under. And NERSA is studying Eskom's request for increases, with all of us accross SA already experiencing municipal increases every year too. That is not even counting in the increases of food, fuel, clothes, school and uni fees, nor even the debts. SA has one of the worst debt users in the world.

Right now, we are living with an inflation rate of 5.9%. And it is no secret that the SA Reseve Bank want to increase it, to over 6%.

Moody recently announced that they foresee that SA will soon have a 8% inflation rate, and that is against a 1.5% increase of SA's economy with a jobless number hovering around 45% (but in reality is much more worse).

Sorry for the gloom news but it is already obvious: SA took a huge knock during the Covid era and they are really struggling to get the economy on the up and up. The biggest blocker preventing that is Eskom.

That is why I think the OP should rather put his plans for a bakkie for a long while and rather built financial safety buffer (as already excellently adviced by another forum member here). A car is not an investment but a house is. Rather be debt-free, or do efforts to minimize the debt, than going into more debt and strugglng to get by in future.

I have been retrenched twice before, and each time, it took me anywhere between 2-3 years,"begging" at every business, applying for any vacancy I could get, or sitting thru interviews only to fall out in the very last round, which was very difficult for a disabled person in SA, all because SA is not very accomodating for disabled of any kind.

And each time, for these 2-3 years, I had to live off my pension and savings, as well as with the aid of family or friends, and litterally start my life and career all over. I am now in my early 50's with a secure job but I don't trust or rely on that (as downscaling/retrenchments can happen any time) as well as a disadvantage in terms of financial security towards retirements (6 years gap, to be exact) but thanks to an international job with a damn good salary, I am working my arse off and catching up fast, also doing another job on the sideline as well.

What I am saying is that I have learnt a lot of things from this: never trust SA economy, it could take a turn at any time, and financial security first, always, always. Cars can wait but life won't, nor financial security.
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2022/05/05 at 07:55 PM.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post

Good luck.

I am quoting this because for personal reasons (same experience) and also for it being the best advice out everything else I have seen so far.

Finanical security first and foremost. Always.

If the OP was struggling back then, wondering where the next food will come on the table, then what will he (and his wife) do when they finally have a bakkie (with debt) and the economy takes a dive again, or inflation climbs insanely, affecting everything that cost money?!?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    If I were shopping in that price bracket, I would look for a D40 Navara. I had one for a while, the v9x 3.0dci. Not just because of the fantastic engine, but that was my favourite bakkie I have owned. I later traded it in on a brand new d23, but I still preferred the ride and the cab of the D40. If you take a drive in one and then get into a Hilux you will see what I mean, the Hilux's cab feels cramped by comparison. The ride is much,much better than a Hilux(Had one before the Navara) and that includes the latest ones!

I see there are many on the market with reasonable mileage even if you have to go for the basic spec XE model it would be a good buy but if you can find a nice clean LE spec it would be even better.

From what I understand those 2.5dci's are pretty reliable motors, Nissan even dropped the 2.3 bi-turbo in the d23 and replaced it with the previous 2.5.

The d40 was still being sold on the new car market until last year in the USA!
    This is very good advise and I second it.

Quick story....October last year I went through exactly this exercise.....except my budget was R150 000 CASH as it is to be used as a site vehicle. I had basically given up hope when a friend of mine suggested the D40 Navara.
    He was part of the team at Tubular..a large steel manufacturing and installation company that were involved with Eskom. Their entire fleet consisted of Nissans....from patrols to navaras.
    He gave me the fleet mechanic's details and I had a very long chat with him wrt the reliability of the YD 25 Nissan motor and the rest of the vehicle.

So to cut this story short....the fleet of navaras are abused by many of the drivers and they have examples with well over 500 000 km on the clock with original injectors,turbo's etc. never been opened. His advice was to buy a manual not an auto and go 4 x 2 not 4 x 4 if it has high mileage. Reason for this is the manual gearbox is simpler and cost less to fix and the 4 x 4 has more bushes and seals that will need replacing at higher mileages ...he says this is quite expensive.

I did exactly this and bought a 2010 Navara 4x2 manual with 315 000 km on the clock from a guy in durban. Paid R115 000 for it. Ive spent about R10 000 on replacing all belts,rear drums,replacing diff oils and gearbox oils and a full service.

All I can say is that im impressed. I really dont understand why they werent more popular in the day. It drives really well,is comfortable,fuel efficient,cheap to maintain. A full service kit and oil is about R1500. Doesnt use any oil or smoke on startup and idle.

Had it on the computer and all is in spec even injectors and fuel pump(all original). I actually left the wifes X5 at home in December and took this thing to Mosselbaai. Got 12,5km/l at 125km/h all the way. I average mostly town driving 9,5 l /100km.

All in all really happy with this buy. Never owned a vehicle with more than 150 000 on the clock. So my expectations were low to begin with.

Take one for a test drive and report back.

PS- Ive done 30 000km with it since Oct last year,so its already on 345 000km
    Last edited by MUGmug; 2022/05/05 at 09:33 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to MUGmug For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast