Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakkies!?

Default Re: Bakkies!?

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    I will graciously speak my mind on this one - your budget is not sufficient to get you into something that meets your requirements.
    I second that. Had a quick look and not much out there for the budget. Unless you want to settle for Isuzu or a Nissan NP300.

Just watch out for all the low mileage deals on Ford and Toyota in JHB CBD. If it's too good to be true...

So I am all for looking at Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Nissan, but wife is set against it. I might be able to convince her, but that'll be a tough sell. I, personally, love the idea of a Triton as I'm aware they're great vehicles. Isuzu I grew up with but as I have it, they have a relatively hard (shaky) ride. Nissan, I'm familiar with the older Hardbody, but my wife won't go for an NP300 and honestly, the Navara always looks like it's been driven to hell when I see one.

I'm also looking at new offers. I know they're stuck on base models, but both Mitsubishi and GWM (yes, I'm considering a P-Series, don't tell the wife) offer new bakkies at under R6,000 per month. Yes, there are stuff attached to it, but it's an option, isn't it?

You need to seriously consider a Mitsubishi Triton.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2024 Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DDI LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WernerDV View Post
    Just watch out for all the low mileage deals on Ford and Toyota in JHB CBD.
    Yeah I saw some instances where a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT is being sold for R250k and I just don't believe it. I also see the same bakkie being advertised by numerous dealers, all lying about the bakkie like crazy. If I'm to buy, it'll be from a reputable dealer, I just can't risk a private purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    So I am all for looking at Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Nissan, but wife is set against it. I might be able to convince her, but that'll be a tough sell. I, personally, love the idea of a Triton as I'm aware they're great vehicles. Isuzu I grew up with but as I have it, they have a relatively hard (shaky) ride. Nissan, I'm familiar with the older Hardbody, but my wife won't go for an NP300 and honestly, the Navara always looks like it's been driven to hell when I see one.

I'm also looking at new offers. I know they're stuck on base models, but both Mitsubishi and GWM (yes, I'm considering a P-Series, don't tell the wife) offer new bakkies at under R6,000 per month. Yes, there are stuff attached to it, but it's an option, isn't it?
    Your info on the Isuzu ride quality is very old. I really hope you post here very soon that you have discovered a gem. The world has gone bat... crazy with 2nd hand prices - it makes for challenging shopping.
    Jaco Nell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

I've seen, yes. It's probably the worst possible time to try and buy, but I made a promise to my wife and I intend to keep it. I also have to add I used to have a really bad habit of driving a car for 12~18 months before selling it and buying something else, and I've been driving the CR-V now for almost 6 years, so yes, I do have an itch as well. I won't trade the CR-V (reliable as the sunrise) for something dodgy though. No way.

I constantly find myself looking at entry level double cabs and for more or less the same price one can get a Mahindra or a P series or an Isuzu. The Isuzu has less features than the other 2 but I honestly wouldnt mind any of the 3.
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

If it HAS to be a double cab, and with a limited budget (relatively speaking), I think a p series would be a good choice.

Does it HAVE to be a bakkie though? Not possible to get a bigger suv type? Like patrol size? Lots more space in the back compared to a crv.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    If it HAS to be a double cab, and with a limited budget (relatively speaking), I think a p series would be a good choice.

Does it HAVE to be a bakkie though? Not possible to get a bigger suv type? Like patrol size? Lots more space in the back compared to a crv.
    Dont go there Graham next thing someone recommends a used Pajero😃
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:

The smartest man here...

You can get a nice one for 150k... you'll pay less on installment to make up for some of the fuel consumption...

https://www.autotrader.co.za/redirect/listing/26142980

Oops, dropped something

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WernerDV For This Useful Post:

Isuzu I grew up with but as I have it, they have a relatively hard (shaky) ride.
    What, you consider a D4D Hilux but not an Isuzu, because of the Isuzu's ride quality? You might want to test drive both, but don't forget the kidney belt for the Hilux!
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Toxy

1) Send me your id tomorrow 1st thing, its TOTALLY unacceptable that you are waiting for a Settlement for 3 days that should have been 3 minutes (yes Im serious)
    2) Get a solid offer for your Honda, valid for, say 14 Days. WBC pays VERY strong for Stock nowadays, so definitely also call them.
    3) Maybe , just maybe, try stretch that Budget a bit. I know, and I'm a stingy bastard myself. BUT you probably get MUCH better for around 70000 more. Just saying, and I'm just being realistic.
    4) I'd say look at Jap bakkies, Hilux?? Isuzu?? Triton maybe?? Nissan?? (in order of MY preference, BTW) The Ford/Mazda is a VERY comfy and economical vehicle, but yes, there ARE some issues documented, no one can deny that.
    I have seen many Fords with 300000+km on, still going strong, but I've seen more Jap bakkies with 400000km, also dtill going strong.
    5) Low Miles = obviously first prize BUT.........I'd MUCH rather buy a well maintained Vehicle, knowing what life it had, than one with a dicey FSH and/or Previous Owner. Would you buy a 250kkm long distance 3,0 D4D, with FSH, or a 120000km one that lived on a farm and serviced by "my pel"....

But PLEASE, if you havent got it yet, sommer send me your initials, surname and date of birth (or Wesbank account number) - sommer now, if you want.

Happy Hunting............you know what you have NOW, and you have time to let the right Vehicle come find YOU, not the other way around.

Prices are beyond crazy at the moment, but that will also pass........remember that

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Sadly me thinks your wife's wish list and your budget is mutually exclusive..

but

maybe
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...60=0&so=1&pl=1
    Last edited by WAJ; 2022/05/04 at 08:04 PM.
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Toyotota Rav4 4 door - rooi gevaar

Loop koop vir jou 'n staal borsel.

Really the wrong time to buy a second hand bakkie now, especially on a very tight budget. Don't be in a hurry, kyk die kat mooi uit die boom, die regte deal sal oor jou pad kom al is dit oor 3 of 6 of 9 maande, in tussen sit elke maand paar rand weg dat jy die budget kan stretch soos Petri se.

I tend to agree with Petri, personally I'd also only look at the Japs, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu is very nice, personally I'm not so fond of the Triton, but from what I understand they are reliable and they are also well priced.

Personally I don't agree with your wife's criteria of only going on looks, tell her it's not a pare of shoes. Ladies tend to buy shoes because it is beautiful, but then they are uncomfortable as hell and they can't wear the things for 10 minutes before starting to complain.

Look at this to get a idea, I capped the kilos at 150k since personally I won't consider something with more than that very easily. Just remember there is a lot of dodgy bakkie's out there, especially older Hilux bakkie's in the Joburg CBD area. I'm on the lookout for a single cab, but not at all in a hurry.
    https://www.cars.co.za/usedcars.php?...l_variant=Ford[Ranger]|Toyota[Hilux]|Volkswagen[Amarok]&sort=date_d&price_range=200000-249999|150000-199999|125000-149999&fuel_type=d&body_type_exact=Double%20Cab%20 Bakkie&vfs_mileage=125000-149999|100000-124999|75000-99999|50000-74999&P=1
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2022/05/04 at 08:25 PM.
    Before you judge a person, first walk a mile in their shoes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

If youre open to some vehicle finance manipulations, ie, balloon payments etc etc, then take this one, belongs to a good mate of mine, its basically brand new inside and out:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/class...x4-d-2fc/cat/4

Hi guys,

So a few years ago wife and I were looking at vehicles, specifically looking to purchase a double cab bakkie. This has been a dream of us for a long time, but due to finances ...
    Methinks you guys have not think the whole thing properly thoroughly. Aside of the buying cost of a bakkie, have you guys ever considered the running costs involved? Can you guys afford it with your combined finances?

Things like fuel (give or take R1200 a month, depending on how many times you refill it), the maintenance costs for services?, cost of wear&tear accessories of bakkie such as tires? Insurances? Repairs?

But in real honesty and curiousity - why do you guys want a bakkie? And yes, I did read your whole post but it does not tell me anything: nothing about outdoor touring, nothing about 4x4, nothing about who is going to ride with the bakkie and where? Family involved (kids)?

Or is it more for a status symbol?

Truth be told, you will really struggle to find a bakkie for that shopping budget of yours.
    [/quote]

And yes, it's about looks for the most part.
    If it is about "looks", then ask your wife if she's willing to walk in high-heels in the veld/mud/loose sand/etc, or climb mountains with high-heels?

That is the worse approach to have - one does not buy a bakkie on its looks alone but on what it can do.

When I bought my 1st bakkie, I actually saved a lot, almost 3 years, to be able to buy one. And also, in my naivity I didn't considered the other cost of the bakkie itself: to drive it, to maintain it, to use it for its unique purpose. Not just as another vehicle to drive to town and park. Over the years I realised there is a difference in wanting a bakkie and actually have it, and not using it to its fullest potential. That "not using it fully" is going to bite you.
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2022/05/05 at 11:12 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

If youre open to some vehicle finance manipulations, ie, balloon payments etc etc, then take this one, belongs to a good mate of mine, its basically brand new inside and out:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/class...x4-d-2fc/cat/4
    A balloon payment for a 2nd hand vehicle at this time with prices as inflated as they are is not a financially wise idea. Never mind that it's a Ford, we are talking about.
    Should the prices for 2nd hand vehicles normalize within the next few years, you will be sitting there with a vehicle possibly not worth the residual payment. Very bad idea.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Loop koop vir jou 'n staal borsel.

Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Methinks you guys have not think the whole thing properly thoroughly. Aside of the buying cost of a bakkie, have you guys ever considered the running costs involved? Can you guys afford it with your combined finances?

Things like fuel (give or take R1200 a month, depending on how many times you refill it), the maintenance costs for services?, cost of wear&tear accessories of bakkie such as tires? Insurances? Repairs?

But in real honesty and curiousity - why do you guys want a bakkie? And yes, I did read your whole post but it does not tell me anything: nothing about outdoor touring, nothing about 4x4, nothing about who is going to ride with the bakkie and where? Family involved (kids)?

Or is it more for a status symbol?

Truth be told, you will really struggle to find a bakkie for that shopping budget of yours.

If it is about "looks", then ask your wife if she's willing to walk in high-heels in the veld/mud/loose sand/etc, or climb mountains with high-heels?

That is the worse approach to have - one does not buy a bakkie on its looks alone but on what it can do.

When I bought my 1st bakkie, I actually saved a lot, almost 3 years, to be able to buy one. And also, in my naivity I didn't considered the other cost of the bakkie itself: do drive it, to maintain it. Over the years I realised there is a difference in wanting a bakkie and actually have it, and not using it to its fullest potential. That "not using it fully" is going to bite you.
    Very sound advise above, probably not what you want to hear, but it makes good sense.
    How about you get a tow hook for the CRV, if it doesn't have one already and get a simple trailer for those occasions you need more load space and wished you had a bakkie?

Save up as much of that new salary as you can and have a look again in a year's time from now. That might very well put you into a much better position than now maxing out your budget for something that might cost you more than anticipated due to high repair costs on a relatively old and abused bakkie.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser

28. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    A balloon payment for a 2nd hand vehicle at this time with prices as inflated as they are is not a financially wise idea. Never mind that it's a Ford, we are talking about.
    Should the prices for 2nd hand vehicles normalize within the next few years, you will be sitting there with a vehicle possibly not worth the residual payment. Very bad idea.
    I agree.
    The only reason I mentioned it is cos he talked about R6k per month payments for a new GWM. That requires some serious vehicle finance 'fiddling', so he seemed open to the idea. Sure, that Ford isnt new, but man, its close to new I think.

Roofrack or trailer (depending on exactly what you can't easily transport at the moment) and start saving up cash money.

Just my two cents.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast