Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default BF Goodrich KO 2

Hey guy's. This is my third bakie that I have owned , and I have always wanted BF's on my car.

Just checking: they are cracking and flaking and they absolutely terrible on wet road. Have to be so carefull when it's raining,.. ( I always drive like a pensioner with a walker because the V6 sucks petrol ) So really don't drive fast.

Even starting to think my ABS is faulty the way they lock up on wet road. Maybe..?

Was under the impression that this was a good tyre to have.

When the time comes I will definitely not replace with the same.

Is it just my experience or should I look for another problem with the brakes.

Thanks

Default Re: BF Goodrich KO 2

I have 2 Patrols. Both running BFs done KO1s a long time and since KO2 came on the market also. Me super happy.....I frown upon these BF complaining threads.....

And I have moved my old KO1s to my camper trailer.....no issue

I suspect people are deflating them to much causing overheating
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2022/05/01 at 06:42 PM.
    Don’t blame yourself over past mistakes. It’s like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 138 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 131 000 km

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Honest opinion, I purchased my 2009 BT50 with KO's. The tyres had lots of thread left. I couldn't get rid of them too soon. I braked oraait on wet tar, but couldn't pull away. I waited for my first bonus 5 months later and chuck them. They are even worse in the wet than Dunlop SP33's that I remember.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Horrible. Did not work at all on the triton. Noisy, rock hard and crap in the rain. Just looked good

On my Discovery1 a set of AT's gave excellent millage (90k km), could not remember bad roadholding in the wet, but they had a very hard compound causing it to chip badly. It even ripped a complete lug of the casing in the Kaokoveldt.

A bit overpriced for what you get in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    I have 2 Patrols. Both running BFs done KO1s a long time and since KO2 came on the market also. Me super happy.....I frown upon these BF complaining threads.....

Did close to 80k on the KO2s.
    Not ONCE did I feel unsafe on a wet road.
    And no chipping or whatever degrading others are experiencing.
    But I got a nasty side wall cut somewhere in the city - how ironic!
    Are they worth the money? I would say if you travel off road more than 50 - 60%

Replaced with Michelins. Lets see how they last on the dirt.
    But I have no doubts how they will perform on tar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post

You sound like the BFG rep who inspected my tyres which had bad cracks on the inner side walls. It was my third set. I bet that most on this forum know what pressures are needed.

My 1st BFG set was probably the best tyres I owned, giving 120k km. They were exposed to a lot of offroad use, from lots of soft sand driving and sharp rocky terrain, like Damaraland. On sand, they were deflated to between 0.8 and 1.5b, depending what was necessary.

The second set gave 100k km. They did not see as much offroad as the lsat set.

The third set had slow leaks from 40k km, on the tyre shoulders. When snot plugs did not work any more, the tyre was removed to apply patches on the inside. This was when the long radial cracks were discovered. This set of tyres did not see much offroad where tyre deflation was necessary. The tyre rep accused me of deflating them too much when offroading. Apparently going less than 1.8b on sandy sections was too low according to the bright spark.

I needed a new set urgently, and only BFG was available, so I had those fitted, hoping that my last set was a dud set. It was not - the last set also developed cracks, even though they were 2 years younger than the last set.

That was my last set ever - they might have improved their compounds again, but you still hear of problems. Their attitude ensured that I will not ever buy another set, even if they sort their tyres.
    Mike Lauterbach

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

From what I have gathered they seem to be an issue on bakkies. I believe the twisting force on the 1920 style rear axle to lighten the load on one tyre and causes wheel spin. This is of course true for all bakkies and all tyres.

braking wise who knows .

I've had them on the permanent 4x4 Jeep for 2 years and can't complain, I don't get wheelspin (i have AWD), or poor braking (not sure why). But I understand they are TOUGH all terrains, not mall crawler tyres. So perhaps my standards re lower. Although I had Goodyear and Bridgestone on before which I found worse all round really.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Ecoflow River Pro and 120W solar panel.
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

For the price of BFs there are way better options available….
    Willie Knoetze

2022 Mahindra Pik-up S6 auto

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:

I also fail to get the moaning about bfg's. I had set of KO's on my prado 120 when I bought it from my father in law, he done about 40k on them, I put another 60k on. Between the two of us we done plenty gravel roading, beach driving & few dune trips(by me) then also a trip down to CPT in middle of winter and in the rain I never felt any issues with grip. This was at about 90k already on them.

In that time there was 1 flat due to a nasty rock on the d707 heading down to luderitz & another slow leak due to a nail.

I suspect the bfg's work best on permanent 4wd vehicles and station wagon/SUV style 4x4x's( patrols, prado's 200 series etc). They need weight on them to grip, hence bakkies struggle for grip when not loaded. That's my theory atleast.
    Current: 2017 Toyota Prado VX 4.0L V6
    Previous:
    '19 Legend 50 D/C auto 4x4 - Did not get a name.
    06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to souti For This Useful Post:

Bought my Fortuner that has a set of KO 2's on 40kms. Vehicle now with 65kms mileage. Twice in light rain on the Marlboro Rd on and off ramps, I have almost slid into the barriers. Driving onto the on ramp doing between 30km/h and 40km/h the back slid out. Taking the offramp and near the traffic light, pedestrian decided to run across the road at the last possible minute resulted in sharp braking and the vehicle sliding as though one was on an ice rink. Speed here again under 40km/h. Similar experience on Tom Jones on Ramp in the wet and again at low speed the back skidded out. Tyre pressure is at 2.2 bar all round. Love the look but have 0% confidence of the tyre performance in the wet.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husainw For This Useful Post:

I have had high performance tyres on a BMW X5m loose traction in the wet but never experienced it with any BFG KO2 tyres on any of my vehicles, Hilux or Land Cruiser.
    2 A 2 Quit

Very, very subjective that is for certain - but personally, across many brands of tyres & vehicles - BFG's has been the worst AT tyre on wet roads. To a degree it was fun, to a degree I was buying more underpants than usual, when running BFG's.

However, they gave great mileage, was excellent on dirt and remains the best looking AT tyre on the market. But in my case - looks almost killed😇.
    Jaco Nell

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Just some info. The BFG name is just a product name. Actually designed and manufactured by Michelin.....
    Don’t blame yourself over past mistakes. It’s like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 138 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 131 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by souti View Post
    I suspect the bfg's work best on permanent 4wd vehicles and station wagon/SUV style 4x4x's( patrols, prado's 200 series etc). They need weight on them to grip, hence bakkies struggle for grip when not loaded. That's my theory atleast.
    ^^ this. The majority of complaints come from bakkie and/or 2wd owners. Those with heavier SUVs and permanent 4wd seem to be quite happy, myself included.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR -- Sold (I'll be back )
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Alwyn777 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn777 View Post
    ^^ this. The majority of complaints come from bakkie and/or 2wd owners. Those with heavier SUVs and permanent 4wd seem to be quite happy, myself included.
    Very feasible. My experience from D/Cabs & bakkie-based SUV's - all 4x4 though.
    Jaco Nell

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Very feasible. My experience from D/Cabs & bakkie-based SUV's - all 4x4 though.
    Permanent 4x4?
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR -- Sold (I'll be back )
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi

Thanks Guys. Seems like there is allot of opinions about the BF's. Suppose it's a matter of preference, but don't think it's going to work for me. Sad because had such high expectations of the BF's.They Do look nice on any 4X4. But now, what to replace them with..? How's the General Grabber..? ### tyre...? These things are also so expensive.

Will definitely chuck them when I get a chance..

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn777 View Post
    Permanent 4x4?
    Nope. (Anyhow, that would have spoilt the nice tailslides with the BFG's on wet roads&#128513.
    Jaco Nell

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SPYKER79 View Post
    Thanks Guys. Seems like there is allot of opinions about the BF's. Suppose it's a matter of preference, but don't think it's going to work for me. Sad because had such high expectations of the BF's.They Do look nice on any 4X4. But now, what to replace them with..? How's the General Grabber..? ### tyre...? These things are also so expensive.

Will definitely chuck them when I get a chance..
    General Grabber is a lot cheaper and great road holding.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast