Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 58 of 58
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amanzimtoti
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by jono1981 View Post
    Hi JPD, any update on the Rhino Extreme after some use?
    Not very impressed, to be honest.

    The canopy looks amazing, but there are issues.

    The canopy was eventually fitted on 14 June. The moment I got onto the highway, I heard a terrible wind noise on the left side. The very next day we had rain. The canopy leaked like a sieve. Water was coming in from between the rubber seal of the canopy and the bin. The canopy was fitted wrong. There is a little "lip" in the front that needs to sit flush with the outside of bin. This was sitting on top of the bin. This was rectified quickly by moving the canopy into the correct position.

    The left side door leaked between the glass and the doorframe. The glass wasn't glued on properly. The Beekman agent sealed it with Sikaflex. They sent videos to Rhinoman and the new door was fitted 11 August.

    Not long after they sealed the left door I noticed similar issues with the right and rear door. When the new left door was fitted Beekman did a water test and saw the other leaks. I decided to deal with Rhinoman directly and sent them all the videos. I'm now waiting for the new doors to be sent to Durban. I spoke to Rhinoman last week and apparently it will be sent this week.

    As for the wind noise. The Beekman agent told me that the bin sits skew in relation to the cab and that's why there is a wind noise. There was a bigger gap on the left than the right side, but it was marginal. I went back to Isuzu and they adjusted the bin to sit straight. Now I have a wind noise on both sides. Still more on the left than the right. This Beekman/Rhinoman they can't answer me on. The Isuzu dealer told me that there is a Toyota dealer down the road from them with the exact same issue. Wind noise on the left side. This is so bad that their client wanted to give the bakkie back to them as he financed it with the canopy. I don't know if they resolved that issue as yet. I've sort off learned to live with it. Depending on how the wind blows, some days are worse than others.

    Other than the poor build quality of the doors there are also design flaws with all 3 doors. When you open the doors in the rain the water doesn't run into a "drain" or "gulley" and drips directly into the bin. The rear door is the worst. I showed the Beekman agent when they did a water test and he took some videos to show Rhinoman. Thanked me for showing them this and they'll take it up with the designers. Surely I'm not the first and only guy to complain about this. I doubt anything will ever come from this as its just a poor design.

    I'm pretty disappointed to date. What I can say though is that neither the Beekman agent or Rhinoman have shied away from the problems that they are able to fix. This I'm grateful for. I just expected better workmanship and design from a "premium" brand. R40K for a canopy with these kinds of issues doesn't sit well with me.
    JP

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPD For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    43
    Posts
    378
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    Not very impressed, to be honest.

    The canopy looks amazing, but there are issues.

    The canopy was eventually fitted on 14 June. The moment I got onto the highway, I heard a terrible wind noise on the left side. The very next day we had rain. The canopy leaked like a sieve. Water was coming in from between the rubber seal of the canopy and the bin. The canopy was fitted wrong. There is a little "lip" in the front that needs to sit flush with the outside of bin. This was sitting on top of the bin. This was rectified quickly by moving the canopy into the correct position.

    The left side door leaked between the glass and the doorframe. The glass wasn't glued on properly. The Beekman agent sealed it with Sikaflex. They sent videos to Rhinoman and the new door was fitted 11 August.

    Not long after they sealed the left door I noticed similar issues with the right and rear door. When the new left door was fitted Beekman did a water test and saw the other leaks. I decided to deal with Rhinoman directly and sent them all the videos. I'm now waiting for the new doors to be sent to Durban. I spoke to Rhinoman last week and apparently it will be sent this week.

    As for the wind noise. The Beekman agent told me that the bin sits skew in relation to the cab and that's why there is a wind noise. There was a bigger gap on the left than the right side, but it was marginal. I went back to Isuzu and they adjusted the bin to sit straight. Now I have a wind noise on both sides. Still more on the left than the right. This Beekman/Rhinoman they can't answer me on. The Isuzu dealer told me that there is a Toyota dealer down the road from them with the exact same issue. Wind noise on the left side. This is so bad that their client wanted to give the bakkie back to them as he financed it with the canopy. I don't know if they resolved that issue as yet. I've sort off learned to live with it. Depending on how the wind blows, some days are worse than others.

    Other than the poor build quality of the doors there are also design flaws with all 3 doors. When you open the doors in the rain the water doesn't run into a "drain" or "gulley" and drips directly into the bin. The rear door is the worst. I showed the Beekman agent when they did a water test and he took some videos to show Rhinoman. Thanked me for showing them this and they'll take it up with the designers. Surely I'm not the first and only guy to complain about this. I doubt anything will ever come from this as its just a poor design.

    I'm pretty disappointed to date. What I can say though is that neither the Beekman agent or Rhinoman have shied away from the problems that they are able to fix. This I'm grateful for. I just expected better workmanship and design from a "premium" brand. R40K for a canopy with these kinds of issues doesn't sit well with me.
    Hi JPD

    Thanks a lot for the reply
    I am having serious second thoughts now and with being in Namibia i don't have many options!
    Also not sure what after sales service would be like in Nam. For the price i really don't want to have issues!

    Looks like i will need to keep looking at this stage
    Thanks again!
    Toyota Prado 120 (Gluck)
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4
    Toyota Fortuner D4D 2x4

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,400
    Thanked: 2833

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by jono1981 View Post
    Hi JPD

    Thanks a lot for the reply
    I am having serious second thoughts now and with being in Namibia i don't have many options!
    Also not sure what after sales service would be like in Nam. For the price i really don't want to have issues!

    Looks like i will need to keep looking at this stage
    Thanks again!
    RSI, buy once, cry once, although it is a fair few tears to be honest
    Mike


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:


  6. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    PMB
    Age
    54
    Posts
    903
    Thanked: 1488

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    RSI, buy once, cry once, although it is a fair few tears to be honest
    Absolutely 100%.

  7. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gqeberha
    Age
    52
    Posts
    17,024
    Thanked: 9301

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kunze View Post
    Any reviews on buffalo canopy?
    As per your notice to the admin account.

    Please note that Buffalo Canopies closed down on 30 November 2023 and that this email is no longer in use.

  8. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Magalieskruin Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,370
    Thanked: 3509

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Maybe I am ignorant, just read the heading now, but what in the world is an offroad canopy? Does it have low range and lekke suspension or is it yet another miss spoken thing like a 4x4 caravan/trailer?

    Ja dis Sondag aand..... moes dit seker vir Vrydag gebęre het.
    HENK


  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:


  10. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Nanyuki
    Age
    58
    Posts
    114
    Thanked: 124

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Very happy with Gomad and they are here in Cape Town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    GoMad are good, they have a decent price at the moment. Running Special around the R22-R25k IIRC
    Go on the FB page.

    RSI's are some of the prettiest and best fitting to vehicle curves. Eish the price.
    We added a GoMad canopy to our double cab. Fitted at the workshop in Cape Town, and then drove it back to Kenya towing a Metalian Maxi trailer. The canopy has been excellent, no water ingress and the noise is acceptable. Dust does get it, but opening the window at the front helps. I think dust is ‘just one of those things’. Recommended…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5552.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	715095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1436.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	715096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	715097  

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nords For This Useful Post:


  12. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Zeerust
    Age
    54
    Posts
    102
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    What are the updated experience of people using RSI canopies and RLD canopies in terms of:

    1. Wind noise
    2. Water ingress
    3. Rust or cracking
    4. Other issues of note

  13. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Location
    Paarl
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Ho guys. Back to the canopy discussion. Have you dealt with CCW4x4 accessories? They are based in Northern suburbs, Cape Town. Their aluminium canopies are a lot cheaper than the other brands, double cab canopy goes for around R18500 standard. Any comments on built quality?

  14. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Brakpan
    Age
    60
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    I'm on my second RLD canopy now.

    First one was fitted to D/C Ranger - 7 years no issues, no cracks, nothing.

    Currently have a RLD fitted to my E/Cab Hilux, fitted around June 2023.

    To date zero issues.

    I have loaded that canopy quite heavy and travelled extensively off road, so RLD get my vote every day of the week and twice on weekends.

    I still have the original Echo rooftop tent - bought in late 90's, that thing is as heavy as they get.

    Price was between R20k and R25k

    Based in Silverton area.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Leo For This Useful Post:

    S&J

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,162
    Thanked: 232

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by 4x44me View Post
    What are the updated experience of people using RSI canopies and RLD canopies in terms of:

    1. Wind noise
    2. Water ingress
    3. Rust or cracking
    4. Other issues of note
    I parked next to a Ranger in Grootbrak during December and the RLD canopy on that bakkie was rusted badly but I noticed the bakkie was also from a coastal town.
    Last edited by Lofty; 2024/03/05 at 07:16 AM.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 / 2023 Corrola Cross
    http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cape Winelands
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,313
    Thanked: 837

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by DaanV View Post
    Ho guys. Back to the canopy discussion. Have you dealt with CCW4x4 accessories? They are based in Northern suburbs, Cape Town. Their aluminium canopies are a lot cheaper than the other brands, double cab canopy goes for around R18500 standard. Any comments on built quality?
    19k special for a black powder coated canopy with 3x doors & windows in the side doors + free fitment seems like a good deal.

    Seems they have also kitted out a voetspore bakkie in the past, johan Badenhorst does look a little younger on their website pics
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Napier
    Age
    72
    Posts
    98
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    We have a metalian and it's neither dust or waterproof.

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,505
    Thanked: 4037

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    In my view, the most important part is the dust and waterproofing. And for that, I rate our Bushtech so highly. I do not exaggerate when I say that not a single drop of water or a spec of dust enters the load bin on gravel travel on my Isuzu.
    Stephan G

    4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Joburg
    Posts
    67
    Thanked: 80

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    Which offroad canopy would you recommend in western cape
    Bushtech - 10 year warranty and service plan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20231028-WA0030.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	716186

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Joburg
    Posts
    67
    Thanked: 80

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    That Rhinoman extreme is nice! Much better than the older models with the tina back window.

    What is the big difference on Off-road conopies vs other? The side entrance is a big deal for me, but I see you get a beekman executive gullwing that solves that & significantly cheaper.
    Is it the flat roof & load rating on off road canopies that is maybe better suited to load stuff or rooftop tent?
    What else would one need to consider?
    Any canopy with glass will not handle abuse in bush as well as aluminium ones. Also lower theft risk. More dust proof and more versatile for accessories like kitchen cupboards.

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gqeberha
    Age
    52
    Posts
    17,024
    Thanked: 9301

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    In my view, the most important part is the dust and waterproofing. And for that, I rate our Bushtech so highly. I do not exaggerate when I say that not a single drop of water or a spec of dust enters the load bin on gravel travel on my Isuzu.
    I have never thought of this but you right, I have been in some seriously heavy rain with mine and zero water comes into the Bush tech.

    Dust no idea as there is so much sea sand I would not see any dust!

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pretoria/ Hoedspruit
    Posts
    602
    Thanked: 430

    Default Re: What offroad canopy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have never thought of this but you right, I have been in some seriously heavy rain with mine and zero water comes into the Bush tech.

    Dust no idea as there is so much sea sand I would not see any dust!
    Same! I've had mine for almost 4 years now and my load bin stays as dry and dust-free as a baby's bottom.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •