Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: What offroad canopy

Has anyone had any dealings with Buffalo Canopies in Stikland?

Good afternoon. Can anyone comment on the pro’s and Con’s of the following two canopies from RHINO MAN. Fitting onto Hilux double cab.
    • Expedition
    •Extreme

i need to make a call by tomorrow.
    i do need to consider the fact that I will be needing to accommodate dogs in the back so the side windows on the extreme is a plus 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Madefromwater View Post
    Good afternoon. Can anyone comment on the pro’s and Con’s of the following two canopies from RHINO MAN. Fitting onto Hilux double cab.
    • Expedition
    •Extreme

i need to make a call by tomorrow.
    i do need to consider the fact that I will be needing to accommodate dogs in the back so the side windows on the extreme is a plus 1.
    A mate of mine just fitted an RLD canopy on the same vehicle with the same need to accommodate his dog. He got the side windows as an extra, and is very happy with it. As a side note they are running a 15% off special until the 15 December.

I can't comment on the quality of any canopy though - not owning a bakkie and all.
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    A mate of mine just fitted an RLD canopy on the same vehicle with the same need to accommodate his dog. He got the side windows as an extra, and is very happy with it. As a side note they are running a 15% off special until the 15 December.

I can't comment on the quality of any canopy though - not owning a bakkie and all.
    So many options available.
    I eventually committed to the Rhino man Extreme.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madefromwater For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    I am taking delivery of my Hilux in a week or so and having looked around i think i like the Evo SmartCap canopy. Anyone have any experience with them? Also would appreciate if there are places with good pricing, cheapest quote i got was at 41k and most expensive at 52k.
    My RSI developed a small crack after 6 months but hard to get feedback as to how to get it sorted. I haven't even been off-road so I'm trying to find some threads on here to see if anyone else had the same issue or if its not serious, I paid about R40k for mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7919.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	897.3 KB 
ID:	673312  

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie JHB View Post
    My RSI developed a small crack after 6 months but hard to get feedback as to how to get it sorted. I haven't even been off-road so I'm trying to find some threads on here to see if anyone else had the same issue or if its not serious, I paid about R40k for mine
    I'm going to hazard a guess that you should have some sort of warranty on the canopy. I would take it back to the installers and ask them to sort it out.
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie JHB View Post
    I see you also really good friends with them

Any reviews on buffalo canopy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kunze View Post
    Any reviews on buffalo canopy?
    Slowly now

This certainly is a difficult decision to make. I've made some enquiries this week from various different places and got a few quotes. Sitting in Durban makes it even more difficult as most manufacturers are in Gauteng. I like to see, touch, feel before I buy. Then there's also the question of Aluminium vs Stainless Steel. Living on the east coast everything rusts.

RSI, Bushtech, Rhinoman are real nice, but out of my budget. Considering most of these manufacturers add another R3/4/5K to have the canopy shipped to Durban, that stretches my budget even more. I really liked Canopeak, because of the bigger gullwing doors, but their service is shocking. Took 7 attempts just to get a reply from them on various platforms, so I'll give them a miss. Sahara is aluminium and that really appeals to me being on the coast, but the load carrying capacity and overall strength is unknown to me. I don't like the box shape of GZ. RLD and Wild is looking really attractive at this stage.

Hoping to get some info here to help me decide?
    JP

If that is the cost of shipping, it may be worthwile to buy and drive up to GP

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    If that is the cost of shipping, it may be worthwile to buy and drive up to GP
    Ja, that's what I'll probably end up doing once I've made up my mind on who to go with.
    JP

I would definitely recommend the guys from LedFly in Silverton, Pta.

Gonna be significantly cheaper than any other quotes you probably got and then still worth your wile to drive up for fitment....
    Martin Pienaar

Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    I am taking delivery of my Hilux in a week or so and having looked around i think i like the Evo SmartCap canopy. Anyone have any experience with them? Also would appreciate if there are places with good pricing, cheapest quote i got was at 41k and most expensive at 52k.
    No experience with the Evo, but I have had 2 RSI canopies and they both leaked and rusted. RSI after sales service is also poor.

I test drove a bakkie with the rinocab, but you can see boggerol via the rearview mirror.

Reverse camera is definitely a treat, but when travelling fwd the visibility is atrocious...

I heard you can fit a camera to the rear view mirror for around R5k? Anyone have this and maybe some photos and feedback?

Looking at a razorback canopy for a Double cab I have not even purchased yet
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Have a look at wild aluminum. Looks just like rhino cab but much more affordable

So after much deliberation I've settled for a Rhinoman Extreme.

I wanted the sliding windows on the sides and the cab slider window. Dogs and children often ride in the back. I also really like the bonded windows opposed to the rubber mounted ones.
    I want to be able to fit and remove load bars/roof rack when needed. Only some manufacturers cater for this without having to drill holes in the canopy.
    By the time I've added all the extras like windows and then the courier/travel cost from Pta/Dbn I've exceeded the off-the-shelf price of the Rhinoman.
    Another big deciding factor for me was that Beekman are the agents for Rhinoman and they have a few fitment centres around KZN should I require any assistance/spares/repairs.

Now hopefully the 4-6 week waiting period won't kill me . Which I guess is better than the 6/8+ weeks from some other manufacturers.

One thing is for sure though, we are definitely spoiled for choice these days.
    JP

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPD For This Useful Post:

That Rhinoman extreme is nice! Much better than the older models with the tina back window.

What is the big difference on Off-road conopies vs other? The side entrance is a big deal for me, but I see you get a beekman executive gullwing that solves that & significantly cheaper.
    Is it the flat roof & load rating on off road canopies that is maybe better suited to load stuff or rooftop tent?
    What else would one need to consider?
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

The offroad canopies have a better load rating, like you said. They are also a lot more versatile. You can add storage systems and roof racks and so forth. They are more secure than the fibreglass versions.
    Oh and all the cool kids have them

Fibreglass canopies are more cost effective and definitely do have their place in the market. Just depends what you want out of it.
    Last edited by JPD; 2023/05/18 at 08:45 PM.
    JP

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JPD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    So after much deliberation I've settled for a Rhinoman Extreme.

I wanted the sliding windows on the sides and the cab slider window. Dogs and children often ride in the back. I also really like the bonded windows opposed to the rubber mounted ones.
    I want to be able to fit and remove load bars/roof rack when needed. Only some manufacturers cater for this without having to drill holes in the canopy.
    By the time I've added all the extras like windows and then the courier/travel cost from Pta/Dbn I've exceeded the off-the-shelf price of the Rhinoman.
    Another big deciding factor for me was that Beekman are the agents for Rhinoman and they have a few fitment centres around KZN should I require any assistance/spares/repairs.

Now hopefully the 4-6 week waiting period won't kill me . Which I guess is better than the 6/8+ weeks from some other manufacturers.

One thing is for sure though, we are definitely spoiled for choice these days.
    Hi JPD, any update on the Rhino Extreme after some use?
    Toyota Prado 120 (Gluck)
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4
    Toyota Fortuner D4D 2x4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast