Default Overlanding from SA to Uganda on Vehicle Export Permit

Anybody with experience in overlanding on Export Permit for a new vehicle purchased in SA? My friend is just buying tuk-tukkie (3 wheeler) in SA, either new or used one. He was told it is quite easy process to get Export Permit for a new vehicle. Apparently without the need of infamous TRN.

Anybody with experience in this? Any possible obstacles/hassles at the borders out of SADC? His current plan is to travel up to Uganda, make the local registration there and leave the tuk-tukkie there for a year or so. He would like to return to Uganda within 1-2 years and finish his journey to EU.

His other option would be buying the second hand one, let it register to SA citizen with TRN and let him make the cross-border documents for the driver.

What would be your choice and why?

Default Re: Overlanding from SA to Uganda on Vehicle Export Permit

Your Friend is going to drive to Uganda in a Tuk Tuk??

If so ..... that is just UBER cool Man!!!!!!!

Yes, he is just buying one but cannot decide whether new one on Export Permit or the second hand one with Cross-border documents. He does not have the patience to get the infamous TRN. He was driving tuk tuk from Thailand to Czech Rep. 3 years ago. He has nice videos on Youtube from this journey, but in Czech. Still cool.
    Last edited by schwott; 2022/04/12 at 03:52 PM.

PLS Post Links!!!

And look at this Bad Boy.........18 Kw Diesel Piaggio, complete with canopy, opens up all sides.......PURRFECT camping rig!!

Here's the Piaggio SA Website - COOL STUFF!! https://piaggiocommercial.co.za/price-list/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue-2-sides-open.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	653691  

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    Anybody with experience in overlanding on Export Permit for a new vehicle purchased in SA? My friend is just buying tuk-tukkie (3 wheeler) in SA, either new or used one. He was told it is quite easy process to get Export Permit for a new vehicle. Apparently without the need of infamous TRN.

Anybody with experience in this? Any possible obstacles/hassles at the borders out of SADC? His current plan is to travel up to Uganda, make the local registration there and leave the tuk-tukkie there for a year or so. He would like to return to Uganda within 1-2 years and finish his journey to EU.

His other option would be buying the second hand one, let it register to SA citizen with TRN and let him make the cross-border documents for the driver.

What would be your choice and why?
    I donít have experience of exporting what is effectively an unlicensed vehicle.

However, many years ago, a friend of mine was moving from Botswana to Kenya and they wanted to take their Botswanan vehicle with them. First of all they had to de-register the vehicle with the Botswanan authorities for export. But then they came upon all sorts of problems at their first border post (which was into Zambia). They no longer had Botswanan vehicle registration papers and only a temporary export licence plate. Naturally enough, this was not deemed acceptable by the Zambian authorities. I donít now remember how they dealt with it all, but I know they had to camp at the border post for some days whilst the husband caught a bus to Lusaka and back. Probably, they had to get some sort of import into Zambia and then export out of Zambia documentation. I presume they had to do the same for Tanzania and then into Kenya. I think it sounds like a BIG bureaucratic hassle.

Currently, there are some young Kenyans driving two tuk-tuks from Kenya to Cape Town. You can find them on Instagram under #tuksouth.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I donít have experience of exporting what is effectively an unlicensed vehicle.

However, many years ago, a friend of mine was moving from Botswana to Kenya and they wanted to take their Botswanan vehicle with them. First of all they had to de-register the vehicle with the Botswanan authorities for export. But then they came upon all sorts of problems at their first border post (which was into Zambia). They no longer had Botswanan vehicle registration papers and only a temporary export licence plate. Naturally enough, this was not deemed acceptable by the Zambian authorities. I donít now remember how they dealt with it all, but I know they had to camp at the border post for some days whilst the husband caught a bus to Lusaka and back. Probably, they had to get some sort of import into Zambia and then export out of Zambia documentation. I presume they had to do the same for Tanzania and then into Kenya. I think it sounds like a BIG bureaucratic hassle.

Currently, there are some young Kenyans driving two tuk-tuks from Kenya to Cape Town. You can find them on Instagram under #tuksouth.
    Thank you. The export might be a bit different with a new vehicle but I told him I would not risk any untried way. Better to stick to proven ways.

I also know some 18 year olds who, last year, wanted to bicycle down through Africa. With Covid, they compromised on cycling from Arusha, Tanzania to Cape Town. One of the group fell off his bicycle on Day 2 between Arusha and Dodoma and broke his collar bone (don’t ask - that is one best roads on the way south…). But being 18 years old, they came up with a plan that I thought was crazy. After a lot of rest in both coastal Tanzania (with a friend of mine) plus more rest in Zanzibar in the hope that the time would heal the collar bone break, the other cyclists wanted to get back on the road. The lad with the broken collar bone then hired a tuktuk in Dodoma and headed south following his cycling friends. I did not think they would get the tuktuk over the border into Zambia without, I don’t suppose, proper documentation. However, he did and they eventually got to Lusaka where he had arranged to drop the tuktuk off with a contact of the Dodoma, TZ tuktuk owner. He then got back on his bike and they got to Cape Town - not without some adventures on the way. The tuktuk looked as if it had several lives before he “hired” it. They learnt many skills on the way.

You’ve got to take your hat off for his sheer audacity and commitment. Not how I would do it, but hey …
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2022/04/13 at 02:05 AM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    Yes, he is just buying one but cannot decide whether new one on Export Permit or the second hand one with Cross-border documents. He does not have the patience to get the infamous TRN. He was driving tuk tuk from Thailand to Czech Rep. 3 years ago. He has nice videos on Youtube from this journey, but in Czech. Still cool.

This sounds like quite a trip. Interesting that he has the patience to drive a tuk tuk to Uganda, but not the patience to get a TRN. I can actually totally relate to that sentiment.

He is not that young, 32 old with wife and daughter at home. This time he is with a cameraman, so I am afraid it will loose a bit of charm of his previous journey from Bangkok to Hranice na Morave.

So thanks to you and Africa Overlanders he decided to buy a second hand tuktuk and travel on cross-border documents from owner. He is on the bus from Port Elisabeth to Johannesburg just now. If you meet orange tuktuk on the road, cheer him up.

Now I want to convince him not to use the new smooth, but boring, chinese tar in southern Mozambique but drive through Namibia, Botswana and Zambia instead. If he will do this, I would like to join him for a part from Lusaka to Lilongwe. I would like to see tuktuk around lake Kariba, in GMA Chiawa and in South Luangwa NP if he will be allowed into it.
    Last edited by schwott; 2022/04/13 at 09:31 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:

He just bought his second tuk-tuk.
    His Youtube channel is here: https://youtu.be/AUWCA4koS3c

You will find all 25 episodes from Bangkok-Hranice na Moravě by tuk-tuk here too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1649938164807.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	653893

1) Does anybody know if he as a foreigner can make SA Third Party Insurance online for rental vehicle? We are always blocked by the need of SA ID number in certain step.

2) Is SA Third Party Insurance always valid in Botswana and Namibia too?

I would put this question on the main South African section of this forum. I think there are only two or three people who regularly monitor ďEast AfricaĒ on this forum: and I donít think any of us would know the answer to your question. I, for one, am not South African.

Perhaps your tuktuk friend ought to have done his research before committing himself to ďrentingĒ the tuktuk?

I am sure he did not make any research at home concerning insurance. He got a permission to use the ID of the owner of the "rental" company.

They are in Palapye now. Third vlog is here: https://youtu.be/pqEVRfwLtHw

They already reached Uganda with tuktuk and are back home safely. Tuktuk will be used by Medical Outreach at the meantime. They will continue their trip in a year or so. We followed them through Zambia in our rental Toyota Allion. And backpacked through Malawi later on. Great fun.
    Last edited by schwott; 2022/07/25 at 09:27 AM.