Default 2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto stalling issues

Good morning all

Thank you for accepting me.

Before starting, let me introduce myself. I am in the wireless communication industry for the last 20 years. One of my responsibilities is towing mobile generators ranging from 1.8 tons to 2.5 tons (the heaviest in the fleet). I have been driving from the Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger to the Mercedes X Class bakkie (the Mercedes for a very short while). Ford been my favorite, but the Toyota the toughest in the terrain I drive. Up and down mountains, through valleys and difficult to get places, with or without a mobile genny. I used to average about 8000km to 11 000km a month, but recent years I do about 6000km to 7000km a month.

My company recently gave us the option for vehicle allowance and I managed to get a late 2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto, 4x4 XLT double cab with 68 000km on the clock. When I bought the vehicle I also took an extended warranty, only to find out it starts counting down once you buy it, so my warranty only extended from 120 000km to 130 000 km only .

Now the problem: On about +- 120 000km ( full service history), I started experiencing the issue where the engine stalls (slight jerk and sudden engine stop, cold or hot weather) when slowing down and applying brakes, just before coming to a stop, at a robot or slow moving traffic. The best I can describe it is when stopping with a manual vehicle in a high gear without pressing the clutch. From what I have read up on the net, all points to the torque converter, but I do not experience any other symptoms like low torque with pull away or gear slippage or anything else they describe as a possible torque converter issue. It does this sometimes 3 to 4 times a day and then sometimes it behaves for more than a week without stalling. One thing I have noticed is when I feel it is about to stall, if I am quick enough, I just let go of the breaks for a split second and then re-apply, then it keeps on going. Other than this the Ranger is a machine and drives like a dream, with or without a heavy load.

I had it at the agents countless of times:
    • They first checked the ATF level, that was ok according to them, I did not check up
    • Then they checked and cleaned some sensor on the gearbox. It still continued stalling
    • Then they changed the cam sensors, that did not work
    • Then they changed the crank sensor, and they guaranteed me it was the issue, it did not work.

I am now sitting on 150 000km and thought I could live with it but no. I would greatly appreciate it if someone might have some insight on this issue and what I can possible look for? Will it be a good idea to get some extended motor warranty at this km? I thought about trading in but I absolutely love the 3.2.

Thank you very much!
    Willie
    Last edited by WillieP; 2022/04/05 at 03:49 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WillieP For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto stalling issues

Hi Willie. Did you manage to get more info on your problem. I have the exact same issue with my Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by NicR View Post
    Hi Willie. Did you manage to get more info on your problem. I have the exact same issue with my Ranger.
    Gearbox oil changed ever?

Hi there NicR

Yes, it looks like it (touch wood..). It is going for 2 weeks now without any issues. When I took my Ford for its 150k service they had a look for me (not the agents), it was dirt in the airflow sensor. They just cleaned it and that was it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillieP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WillieP View Post
    Hi there NicR

Yes, it looks like it (touch wood..). It is going for 2 weeks now without any issues. When I took my Ford for its 150k service they had a look for me (not the agents), it was dirt in the airflow sensor. They just cleaned it and that was it.
    Hi Willie. Gr8 news. Going to try this as well. Will keep you updated about my Ranger as well. Going your way in June. Who did you use for your service if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman7 View Post
    Gearbox oil changed ever?
    Hi Herman. Thanks for the tip. Am also going to have a look at having this done. Will let you know if it makes a difference.

Hi Willie. Gr8 news. Going to try this as well. Will keep you updated about my Ranger as well. Going your way in June. Who did you use for your service if I may ask?
    Hi there NicR

Pleasure, did you come right?

Quote Originally Posted by WillieP View Post
    Hi there NicR

Hi Willie, was it the airflow sensor? I have the exact same issue with my 2019 Ford Ranger 3.2.

Hi Nic, did you manage to solve the issue? I have the exact same issue and local dealership cant find any issue. Thanks

Hi all, just came across this thread in search of answers for my 2019 ranger 2.2 auto with 120km on the clock. Exactly the same thing happens with mine, as I approach a stop, slow down it wants to stall / rattles almost like it doesn't want to disengage clutch, spanner light comes on, then goes off, but no fault codes, been three times to ford dealership who reckon there's absolutely nothing wrong, but it's driving me crazy. It's intermittent problem so not every time. I've cleaned my mass air flow sensor with spray a few times, tried injector cleaner, but not replaced mas so will try that, and next closest options seems to be a PCM factory reset, or buy a new one, or onto the torque converter under Warranty, failing these things working gonna have to try sell it and that will be the last ford I ever buy. Any further advice from anyone.
    Last edited by DukasPR; 2024/06/23 at 05:50 PM.

Try check your crank sensor. Some of the Rangers have issues with it.