Import duties on RC equipment?

Default Import duties on RC equipment?

Does anyone know what kind of import duties you would pay on a RC helicopter?

You will pay much less than in a hobby shop.
    For more information I suggest everyone follows threads on a YAHOO group "SARFLY".
    If it is a transmitter you want to import there are some complex legal issues to take cognisance of.
    I still think bying from a local hobby shop is still the worth it.
    Just take the effort, risk, warrenty, time off work to fetch the parcel and it could be cheaper to buy local.
    Send a private message to me and I cold give details of shop in JHB & PTA that I think are not overly expensive and are cheaper than most.
    Or if rules permit me I could post their names here.

Disco 2 TD5 XS
    Disco 2 V8 XS
    A platkar
    A bicycle

Received my new heli on Monday:

I ordered it on Monday night from the states and it was here at the post office the following Monday. Not bad at all.

It cost me R3500 all included with a few extra spares. The best price I coul get in SA was in the region of R5500.

Feel free to post the places names and contact details - nothing wrong with that as far as I can tell. I will be needing spares!!!!

Cool nice to see a new chopper pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Craigb View Post
    ..... I will be needing spares!!!!
    click click http://www.helikraft.com/

Mitsubishi 4 Door
    3lt V6 2006 Facelift 4x4
    ORRA Details:
    29mHz: ZRF430
    Club Call sign: B33

Cool nice to see a new chopper pilot
    Not a new pilot just yet. More like a driver - just busy skidding around on the garage floor!!!

Thanks for the link.

Customs T/H: 9503.00.90/9 - Other (toys)
    Duty free
    14% VAT
    R3500 x 10% = R3850 X 14% = R539.00
    so, on a R3500 the cost to import will cost you only VAT.

Here is a nice link to calculate what anything you import will cost you in the end :-)

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...x-calculation/

That all sounds about right. add R25 for clearance fee.

Also note the communique below with regards to radio gear (this was on SAMAA website,but I cant find it any more):

Flying 2.4GHz Radio Control Systems: Latest Report

In the July- August 2010 SAMAA Newsletter we informed SAMAA members that all 2.4 GHz radio control equipment operating in South Africa must comply with technical specifications determined by the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa’s (ICASA) and that type approval was necessary for all 2.4GHz radio control systems imported into the country.

After more discussion with ICASA we are pleased to confirm that all 2.4GHz radio control equipment with a maximum output of 100 milliwatt and 20-dBm gain (radiated power), is legal to fly in South Africa. The SAMAA insurance claims will therefore be valid on all sets conforming to the 100 milliwatt specification.

Equipment exceeding the ICASA specification, like some imports from America with an output of 200 milliwatt, do not comply with specification and are considered to be illegal by ICASA, and as such can be confiscated by ICASA and the user prosecuted. It may also impact on the SAMAA insurance in case of an accident claim.

Please note, this is an ICASA ruling and we respectfully request all SAMAA members to adhere to this ruling. The United States of America is the only country that we are aware of that have adopted the 200 milliwatt limit and not all their equipment is at 200 milliwatt that is why we stress some imports.

Of importance to our members, is that during a recent meeting between ICASA and the South African Revenue Services it was decided that, individuals may import five of an item at one time or one of an item five times per year without needing to obtain or produce type approval for 2.4 GHz radio control equipment used exclusively for models provided they conform with ICASA’s 100 milliwatt and 20-dBm gain specification.

Anyone importing more than five of a item at one time or during the year must apply for type approval at a cost of R4,000 per set. Type approval stickers are available from ICASA to distributors who have type approval certificates. Note, the ICASA issues over a thousand type approvals per month for an assortment of electronic communication appliances and they have informed SAMAA that it is impossible for ICASA to inform the SAMAA which importer were granted type approval for 2.4GHz radio control equipment used exclusively for models. Dealers and importers will therefore, in future have to inform the SAMAA of their type approval for publication in the newsletter & to enable advertising of type approved radio sets.

Whilst not conclusive, independent tests conducted have shown that equipment with dissimilar outputs of 10 to 200 milliwatt, operate harmoniously together. The set with the lower output will not experience interference, but will have a reduced range in comparison to the greater powered sets.

To ensure compliance with ICASA’s specifications, SAMAA recommends that members obtain 2.4 GHz radio control equipment from recognized dealers in South Africa, that stock ICASA approved sets with type approval stickers attached to them. This will be a 100% guarantee that the equipment conforms to ICASA specifications and is legal. Members that have purchased sets from registered dealers without type approval stickers need to apply for their ICASA stickers from the original dealer. Please notice that members purchasing sets without ICASA type approval assume responsibility for ensuring that their equipment conforms to the required ICASA specifications.

Also note that the SAMAA recommendation of a maximum of six aircraft flown in circuit simultaneously is not for technical reasons; it is simply a safety recommendation for Clubs and is equally applicable to any other approved radio frequency.

Try Hobby King www.hobbyking.com I bought the HK 450 (a carbon copy of the Trex 450) for US$58. I trained on it and it can do some basic 3D flying. Import duties on my orders are usualy between R100 to R150. Postage from Hong Kong is around US$30 the only problem is that it takes about 4 weeks, but you can track the parcel all the way. My largest order was a 30cc twin cyclinder 4 stroke motor for US$ 345 and they go for +-R7000 in SA and the duty on that was R225. Between me and my son we have made at least 15 orders and touch wood have'nt lost 1

Default Re: Import duties on RC equipment?

Hi, would anyone be able to tell me what the import duties costs would be on importing RC Car and accessories to Namibia? Purchase costs N$5700 and N$3100 from USA.
    Could not find anything specific on the internet. Percentage or N$ would help thanks. And would buying local or in RSA be cheaper or more expensive?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Safari View Post
    Hi, would anyone be able to tell me what the import duties costs would be on importing RC Car and accessories to Namibia? Purchase costs N$5700 and N$3100 from USA.
    Could not find anything specific on the internet. Percentage or N$ would help thanks. And would buying local or in RSA be cheaper or more expensive?

Thanks
    Nobody hey?

"SpeedModels" in the Western Cape can assist you with the SA prices.

Enough people traveling Cape to Windhoek ...