Default Covid tests and other info when flying to Uganga

Hi everyone

Some of the questions I have are googlable - so perhaps I shouldn't just be asking here. But the Covid situation changes so rapidly - I would appreciate comments of anyone with some recent experience or valuable insight.

My friend is flying to Uganda on Friday - what type of Covid test is needed? And how long before? Could one (for example) just go to Dischem in the mall and do it the day before leaving?

Other questions, if anyone wants to answer them -
    - Cash is probably king - but are there a few ATM's at Entebbe airport where you can use Visa cards to withdraw? How many digits PIN number must you have?
    - This isn't really a safari type of holiday but more of an exploring tour, immersing in the culture and stuff like that (I think). So any suggestions about where to go and what to see (perhaps around Kampala) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input. The main question though, is about the Covid test!

Default Re: Covid tests and other info when flying to Uganga

I'll answer my own questions after today's experience. Perhaps it will help someone.

Covid PCR test was done at Lancet in the morning, got the certificate emailed that same afternoon. Printed out and taken to OR Tambo. For travel you need the PCR test, the R500 one. Should be no older than 72 hours when you fly, I would do it 48 hours before to avoid the last minute stress. Certificate was shown during checkin together with passport etc. It was then returned to her, she will produce it again at Ugandan side if requested.

Apparently a 6 digit PIN will be the one required at the ATM. All has been setup like this, let's see if it works as planned...

In addition Uganda Airlines seemed to work out just fine, it left on time and all the admin was done so smoothly. After sending my friend through the boarding gates I went and stood at the observation deck and could see them boarding and the plane taking off.

The adventure begins. Getting back into RSA you apparently need to show a PCR test at the Uganda side still. Curious to see if this will really be the case.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Default Re: Covid tests and other info when flying to Uganga

We all hope this money making practice will be scrapped soon in Uganda, as it was surprisingly now in Zambia.
    Uganda is one of the last countries clinging on this.

Even SA followed Botswana and Namibia now, that one only needs to present vaccination certificate.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2022/03/28 at 07:12 PM.