Default Uganda Wildlife Authority changing vehicle fees

UWA is now charging vehicle fees per 24 hr DAY instead of their previous policy, per ENTRY. For the already high foreign vehicle fees this is a massive price increase, now matching Tanzanias fees. I know some forum members are planning extended trips and this will likely affect their budgeting.

On their published fee schedule it says this starts in July 2022, but we have now been to Kidepo and Murchison Falls and both are insisting that they must charge per day. We argued against this based on the current fee schedule stating per entry, but they were firm that they'd been instructed to charge daily and that we were welcome to leave early if we didn't want to pay.

In all cases the staff were very professional, and I think annoyed that their office had made them change the procedure before the published date, putting them in this awkward position.

Fees are $50 for a pickup and $150 for a 4x4. A silver lining, they appear to be forgiving on what is classified as a pickup. New rate sheet is here: https://ugandawildlife.org/wp-conten...22-to-2024.pdf
    Last edited by CalDriver; 2022/03/18 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added rate sheet (added clarification)
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Uganda Wildlife Authority changing vehicle fees

Thanks Andrew, that is a massive price increase and follows an age old tradition in many businesses, particularly in Africa. When profits (income) start dropping off due to reduced demand, simply increase the price on the units you sell (rent) to cover the shortfall, seen this firsthand in Zimbabwe. We have 15 nights in parks in Uganda planned, this will certainly have us reconsidering our plans. I hear what you say about loose interpretation of what is a pickup vs what is a 4x4 but you don't know how the official dealing with you will react.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2022/03/17 at 03:54 PM.
    John 2021 Prado GXL 2.8 (Australia) & 2017 Land Cruiser 79 D/Cab + Alucab Ossewa "Hagrid" (Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (Australia)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Andrew. That is a blow as I also note that they do not have a reduction in vehicle fees for East African Community registered vehicles (which they had in the past). I also note that for Murchison Falls NP there was an additional USD10 per day for self-driving. I also saw a note on that tariff sheet that trailers were not allowed inside the national parks. I presume this doesn’t apply to those off-road caravan/trailers so beloved in the southern African countries.

I think this is called protecting Ugandan safari operators from competition. Particularly, from Big Brother Kenya?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Thanks Andrew, that is a massive price increase and follows an age old tradition in many businesses, particularly in Africa. When profits (income) start dropping off due to reduced demand, simply increase the price on the units you sell (rent) to cover the shortfall, seen this firsthand in Zimbabwe. We have 15 nights in parks in Uganda planned, this will certainly have us reconsidering our plans. I hear what you say about loose interpretation of what is a pickup vs what is a 4x4 but you don't know how the official dealing with you will react.
    A real shame this will impact folks like us, I think we represent such a tiny fraction of their revenue that the impact to the likes of us doesn’t even register.

we were only charged the pick up rate, $50, I think almost because they felt sorry for us. That said, at MFNP we were prepared to argue for the pick up rate because on our vehicle registration document it lists the “vehicle description” as a “Pick-up”. Also another couple we met with an 80 series cruiser was “only” charged the pickup rate, and an iOverlander review indicates that the 150 rate is usually only applied to overlander busses, big rigs and other large vehicles. Of course “usually” is the operative word, and as you say you never know what the official on duty will do.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Thanks, Andrew. That is a blow as I also note that they do not have a reduction in vehicle fees for East African Community registered vehicles (which they had in the past). I also note that for Murchison Falls NP there was an additional USD10 per day for self-driving. I also saw a note on that tariff sheet that trailers were not allowed inside the national parks. I presume this doesn’t apply to those off-road caravan/trailers so beloved in the southern African countries.

I think this is called protecting Ugandan safari operators from competition. Particularly, from Big Brother Kenya?
    And on top of that it will cost $10 pp to visit the falls themselves in MFNP. And possibly an additional $10per vehicle at MFNP, but now I can’t find where I saw that.

At both Kidepo and MF we were told this was to “prevent confusion” because the people staying outside the park might have to pay twice per day, while those inside the park would only pay once for a few days.
    who knows what the whole story is, as obviously thee are other ways to solve that
    problem.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

I suppose it was only a matter of time for them to fall in line with the other major parks. It is a big financial hit in the planning.

The same category of pickup and safari/4x4 was used in the past and yes lets hope they stick to the existing definition or it will be unaffordable.
    Last edited by AMacAfrica; 2022/03/18 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Misread original post.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

Quote Originally Posted by AMacAfrica View Post
    I suppose it was only a matter of time for them to fall in line with the other major parks. It is a big financial hit in the planning.

The same category of pickup and safari/4x4 was used in the past and yes lets hope they stick to the existing definition or it will be unaffordable.
    You were right, I edited my first post for clarification. It is not per day in the same way that, for example, Botswana is now charging entry. It is being applied per 24hr day, the same as your entry fee.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

We actually skipped Uganda now completely after we met travellers that were charged the full 150 US$ fee for the vehicle.
    Our plan was to stay about 15 nights in various parks, but no thank you.
    At the Massai Mara we paid US$ 160 entrance fee plus US$ 4 for the vehicle for a 24 hours multi entry stay.
    We enjoyed lovely 4 weeks in various parts of the Mara.

Same happened to us in 2011, first national park was Murchinson Falls where they had increased the fee for the vehicle per stay from US$ 30 to 50,
    but despite showing them the brochure, they insisted this would be a daily fee,
    we turned back to Kenya immediately.

Apart from that Diesel in Uganda is 50 % more expensive than in Kenya.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    We actually skipped Uganda now completely after we met travellers that were charged the full 150 US$ fee for the vehicle.
    At the Massai Mara we paid US$ 160 entrance fee plus US$ 4 for the vehicle for a 24 hours multi entry stay.

Same happened to us in 2011, first national park was Murchinson Falls where they had increased the fee for the vehicle per stay from US$ 30 to 50,

We will have to make a call closer to the time as we want to spend 14 nights in National Parks in Uganda. We drive a 79 series Toyota Dual Cab with Alucab Ossewa attached. Fortunately our registration papers show the wording "Pick-up/Bakkie" very clearly so hope that will save us. At USD150/day for the vehicle we would rethink our stay in Uganda too.
    John 2021 Prado GXL 2.8 (Australia) & 2017 Land Cruiser 79 D/Cab + Alucab Ossewa "Hagrid" (Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post

Sorry to hear you've had to abort Uganda! How far did you make it?

Of course to each their own, but I think it'd be possible to visit Uganda and see many of it's unique highlights while minimizing the high vehicles fees. I can't think of any practical way to avoid it in Kidepo, but it is such a stunning park we personally would have caved and anted up for the full price. At least the $6 campsite offsets the vehicle fee, and what a campsite! In that scenario the daily total for park fees is higher than Kenya (150 + 40 + 40 + 6 + 6 = $242/day for two people, right?), whereas I think the Masai Mara or Samburu is ~$204. Still all less than Tanzania.

At least Murchison could be visited in a day, with maybe a second day spent outside the park and going in with a lodge tour. QENP also could be done in a rushed day through the crater drive, camping outside the park and then a second day to camp at the wonderful Ishasha site.

Kibale, Bunyonyi, Mutdanda and the very scenic road along the eastern edge of Bwindi are all great and either don't charge vehicle fees or aren't national parks.

I certainly agree that a $150/day fee pours cold water on things for Uganda, but hopefully doesn't squash it entirely for everyone.

@Tedx2 - We never had to pull out our registration with "pick-up" on it, but had the feeling that this approach would have sailed through unopposed. Our impression was that most gate personnel were either tired of arguing on this point, having been put in an awkward position by their bosses, or didn't care at all. Another couple we met were in a 80 series cruiser, clearly a 4x4 and not in any way a pickup, and they were given the $50 fee without discussion.

Not to say that Bee's reports aren't accurate, but I am hoping for you there is still some wiggle room!

Jenny and I agreed that if they had applied the $150/24 hrs we'd still visit the parks, but at a faster pace.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    @Tedx2 - We never had to pull out our registration with "pick-up" on it, but had the feeling that this approach would have sailed through unopposed. Our impression was that most gate personnel were either tired of arguing on this point, having been put in an awkward position by their bosses, or didn't care at all. Another couple we met were in a 80 series cruiser, clearly a 4x4 and not in any way a pickup, and they were given the $50 fee without discussion.

Not to say that Bee's reports aren't accurate, but I am hoping for you there is still some wiggle room!

Jenny and I agreed that if they had applied the $150/24 hrs we'd still visit the parks, but at a faster pace.
    Thanks for the "Heads Up" Andrew, we would be extremely disappointed to miss out on Ugandan National Parks and from what we have heard the chances are that we will get by with the $50 rather than have to pay the $150. We are certainly up for the challenge. We are only travelling in August 2023 and hopefully things will be a bit clearer by then.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

The furthest north location we reached was Samburu,
    just 50 km or so above the equator.

This will probably our last big overland trip, we did not want to rush through any parks we like.
    If you look at our vehicle plus caravan combination, we would for sure have to negotiate about the fees.

And, finally experience the migration, to be in between tens of thousands of wildebeest, seeing these incredible crossings, lions hunting in between, was really worth to skip Uganda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220722_085723.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	604.8 KB 
ID:	662880