Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Default Epic East Africa Trip 2022

Elephant Sands Camp and Lodge Day 3 - Botswana

The sky is still overcast, but the rain has ceased. A strong wind blows.
    Elephant Sands is still on half of their staff numbers as they were before COVID. With tourism now picking up very fast in Botswana, this people work even harder, yet they always smile. One can see there's a lot of enthusiasm everywhere in the tourism sector in Botswana. Every person working at the lodge is fully vaccinated, and I asked them to take their masks down (for the photos see the last post).
    The owners not only renovate each chalet step by step but also build a new, similar camp nearby, with campsites with their own ablutions.

Our enthusiasm gets a bit of a damp when a family of South Africans set up camp next to us blocking almost 60% of our view, while we were at the bar for a coffee. Sadly our nice neighbours of 2 nights had left this morning.
    Soon after set up, someone starts grinding next to us (there's no power at the campsite and the lodge's workshop is 300 m away). "Egghead" (remember this nickname) hammers a piece of steel into one of the vehicle's awnings. The FIL tries to excuse, but alas...

Lesson learned, mark your territory accordingly!

We return the favour with a very smoky campfire, have a short braai, and head back to the bar.

The night surprises us with the visit of some very unexpected visitors.

Elephant Sands Campsite P 120 pppn Dinner Buffet P 200 pp

The newly renovated tents opposite the campsite look awesome! Book well in advance, space at the campsite is limited.

https://www.elephantsands.com/

Another link worth mentioning is https://tasda.co.za/

If you EVER think about doing a guided drive in Africa, contact George.
    We met his group twice, at Elephant Sands and in Kasane as well before they headed into Zambia and after they travelled the Hunters Road. He's a qualified paramedic, and his knowledge is incredible. He picked up the plant I photographed at ES, it contains saponin and is used as a soap replacement (sorry I forgot the name already). We don't do guided drives, but this group leader would be one we would easily pick. He catered for a group of 7 vehicles with a whole lot of different experiences and trailers. After many days of rain and difficult terrain, the group members were still happy.

Last but not least, one of the group members travelled with a trailer rented from Kubu 4x4 ( forum member Jannie) from Krugersdorp.

https://kubu4x4.co.za/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220319_073948.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	922.2 KB 
ID:	651722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220318_110938_edit_3006127769853.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	453.3 KB 
ID:	651724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220318_215401_edit_44231218148979.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	651725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220318_091528.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	372.8 KB 
ID:	651727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220317_183430.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	651728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220318_100711_edit_3045592879743.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	351.5 KB 
ID:	651731  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2023/01/03 at 12:57 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Epic East Africa Trip 2022

In October we enter Botswana at Pandamatenga and then spend a night at Elephant Sands before proceeding to Kubu Island passing through Nata. We have no idea what size Nata is, are there reasonable shopping facilities there? Is one able to stock up with groceries and meat, or are there only delicious bread rolls?
    John 2021 Prado GXL 2.8 (Australia) & 2017 Land Cruiser 79 D/Cab + Alucab Ossewa "Hagrid" (Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    In October we enter Botswana at Pandamatenga and then spend a night at Elephant Sands before proceeding to Kubu Island passing through Nata. We have no idea what size Nata is, are there reasonable shopping facilities there? Is one able to stock up with groceries and meat, or are there only delicious bread rolls?
    Pandamatenga is still closed, just on a side road. Many think it will never reopen.
    There's a Choppies in Nata, that's it. Plus three filling stations.

The only real butter they sold at the Choppies, did cost P 75.
    The same butter costs P 50 at soar in Kasane.

Rather enter at Kazungula and shop at Spar, Shoprite or Choppies in Kasane.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    In October, we enter Botswana at Pandamatenga and then spend a night at Elephant Sands before proceeding to Kubu Island passing through Nata. We have no idea what size Nata is, are there reasonable shopping facilities there? Is one able to stock up on groceries and meat, or are there only delicious bread rolls?
    Pandamatenga is still closed, just on a side note. Many think it will never reopen.

The only real " SA Springbok" butter they sold at the Choppies, did cost P 75.
    The same butter costs P 50 at Spar in Kasane, to give you an idea.

Rather enter Kazungula and shop at Spar, Shoprite or Choppies in Kasane and top up with the rolls at Elephant Sands.
    So far we have never found them elsewhere in Botswana.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2023/01/03 at 01:23 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Pandamatenga is still closed, just on a side road. Many think it will never reopen.

The only real " SA Springbok" butter they sold at the Choppies, did cost P 75.
    The same butter costs P 50 at Spar in Kasane, to give you an idea.

Rather enter at Kazungula and shop at Spar, Shoprite or Choppies in Kasane and top up with the rolls at Elephant Sands.
    So far we never found them elsewhere in Botswana.

I've posted two videos driving through Nata here https://www.polarsteps.com/Southernd...471669-central
    Thanks for the information, we will start our day from Kazuma National Park, a small park 30kms from Pandamatenga Border Post so hope that by October Pandamatenga has indeed reopened. Going all the way to Kazungula would be a really long trip. It would add almost 300kms to our trip.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2022/03/24 at 12:29 AM.
    John 2021 Prado GXL 2.8 (Australia) & 2017 Land Cruiser 79 D/Cab + Alucab Ossewa "Hagrid" (Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

John, I reckon Panda will indeed be reopened before your trip.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Thanks Stan, yes I just spoke to a contact in Vic Falls, works for/with Bhejane Trust. They are actively involved with Zimparks at Robin's Camp in Hwange plus Kazuma Pan National Park. He hasn't heard anything about the closure of Pandamatenga and said it would be highly unlikely as there is already a well organised infrastructure there. He thought that the Zim side were ready to open, the delay appears to be on the Botswana side, where, as you know, there are still some borders that have not yet opened.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Elephant Sands - Marvelous spot! Thanks for the good pics!

How was the road to Elephant Sands?
    I have heard there can be very thick sand....
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2022/03/24 at 04:03 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Bee & Fred,

Thanks for the details on the blog.

Sadly your decision to skip Khumaga was leaving out a highlight.
    There is an easy drive (deep sand no mud) from the cam site to Phuduhudu Gate (yes that's the name ) which is firm and easy when wet but difficult late in the dry season.
    Great vistas of the Boteti, but alas, maybe on the return?

BTW it seems your tracking has stopped at Kasane and no longer refreshes. Problem with Zambia SIM card?
    Tere was nothing either from Namibia.

But I am jumping the gun, you still talk Botswana here.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Elephant Sands - Marvelous spot! Thanks for the good pics!

How was the road to Elephant Sands?
    I have heard there can be very thick sand....
    Was perfectly graded. No complaints.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Bee & Fred,

Thanks for the details on the blog.

Sadly your decision to skip Khumaga was leaving out a highlight.
    There is an easy drive (deep sand no mud) from the cam site to Phuduhudu Gate (yes, that's the name ) which is firm and easy when wet but difficult late in the dry season.
    Great vistas of the Boteti, but alas, maybe on the return?

BTW it seems your tracking has stopped at Kasane and no longer refreshes. Problem with the Zambia SIM card?
    There was nothing either from Namibia.

But I am jumping the gun, you still talk Botswana here.
    We made it into Zambia yesterday but only bought a Simcard today.
    The app must have picked up Namibia while we drive along the Chobe River.

The first sunny day since we entered Botswana was only 4 days ago, we did a day drive along the Chobe Riverfront.
    Grey skies and rain weren't that inviting for game drives.

Boteti River Lodge was deserted (that was one of our possible overnight stops). We didn't feel safe there, and the view from their sightseeing desk is half overgrown.

The next stop was Planet Baobab, where the guides told us they don't drive into Nxai at that stage and that there are no night-outs at Makgadigadi either.

I still need to update Senyati and Chobe Riverfront
    Lodge though...
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2023/01/03 at 12:58 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Elephant Sands Camp and Lodge to Senyati Safari Camp - Botswana
    Mid-March 2022

At 10 at night, I use the full moon's light and try to create some "artistic" pictures of the Elephant Sands camp, not knowing what other creatures may lure in the dark. Soon we go to bed, we decided to leave the next morning, and finally head on northwards.
    I could still stay some more nights.
    Two hours later the sound of crackling plastic wakes me up, something doesn't seem to be right. I open the door and to my surprise, some gloomy eyes stare at me, two big spotted hyenas are happily digging through some bags of waste behind the bar. Some of the staff had parked a wheelbarrow with black bags outside the enclosure of the bar, probably in an attempt to save time the next morning.
    I follow the two perpetrators and try to get a picture of the two, but I fail. They're (thankfully for the camp) very shy and run away as soon as they spot me. All I can do is take some pictures of their spoor and go back to bed. Staff was startled by the two around 10, we heard the next morning.
    I still could kick myself. With the focus on the elephants in front of us, I didn't care about our backs.
    Note to me, set up camera traps, you'll never know what's hanging around!
    (at Elephant Sands, it could also be some wild dogs crossing, they have been seen just a few days before our visit).
    We should've stayed another night.
    Senyati Safari Camp, I've been told, you love it, or hate it. Well, we don't really like it, although we've got a good spot, with the (sideline) waterhole view at the same time, the spot furthest away from bar and reception.
    Due to the rains, we don't see a lot of wildlife. Some 15 or so elephants, some impala, a giraffe or two. At night, hyenas and jackals are very vocal. From 9 o'clock, security walks around the unfenced perimeter, local men employed by the camp management.
    The underground bunker, situated at the main waterhole that made Senyati famous, is flooded. But ok, there aren't that many elephants to photograph eye to eye anyway.

While we do our normal camp things, we hear some pounding noise. Hammering and pounding, pounding and hammering. Could it really be? It can and its "egghead" and family, still working on their whatever awning. Some people always stick out, isn't it? I think I've seen this person before, probably a famous chef.

"You stay at Senyati for the animal experience or at Chobe River Lodge for the cleanliness and convenience." That's true.

Zambia is waiting, we proceed to Kasane after two nights.

Campsite with own (outdated) ablutions, with power and hot water via donkey P 120 pppn, prices would increase soon as the high season was coming nearer.

https://senyatisafaricampbotswana.com/

Name:	IMG_20220320_111229_edit_68294013752078.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	356.3 KB 
ID:	652160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220320_182444_edit_67999287994311.jpg 
Size:	398.6 KB 
ID:	652161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220328_194007_org.mozilla.firefox_edit_15444794080975.jpg 
Size:	469.5 KB 
ID:	652162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220328_194010_org.mozilla.firefox_edit_15435855110664.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	652163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220328_194037_org.mozilla.firefox_edit_15424912647645.jpg 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	652164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220328_194044_org.mozilla.firefox_edit_15416476123167.jpg 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	652165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220318_215743_edit_2293416169441.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	652166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220320_111600.jpg 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	652169  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220318_111038.jpg 
Size:	599.9 KB 
ID:	652170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220317_184526_edit_18712867707560.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	652171  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2023/01/03 at 01:01 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

How did that encounter on the bridge end?

It looks like some way layers creating an "opportunity".

(Reference to your picture from rural Zambia)
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Chobe Safari Lodge Kasane - Botswana
    Beginning or March 2022

Kasane isn't that far from Senyati, and we set up an early camp at the Chobe Safari Lodge.
    After dropping laundry off at reception, we explore the town. I spot a sign of an Indian restaurant next to the lodge, Tandurei. Some online research about the restaurant delivers a lot of positive comments, we decide to try it out for dinner. Good choice.
    Despite the shabby shine and the staff being rather snappish, it's really an absolute pleasure to enjoy perfectly spiced food cooked by an Indian chef. We LOVE good food!
    We walk the 300 m back to camp with pretty full bellies.

The next day is reserved for a day drive along the Chobe National Park riverfront. We enter Sedudu gate at 7 o'clock, pay the P 290 entrance fee, and off we go. We only spot two other self-drivers that disappear quickly. The resident hippos deliver an absolute show!

We stop for breakfast at the Serondela picnic site, it's got an almost new building that offers running water and flush toilets. Plus the view, of course.
    It's the first really sunny day since we entered Botswana, and we discussed if we should stay a day or two at Ihaha or not.
    However, the weather forecast is bad, and our decision is made quickly. We are OUT! Tomorrow, we'll go for our Covid test, and a day later, we'll cross into Zambia.

https://underonebotswanasky.com/chobe-safari-lodge/

Campsite P 120 pppn

Name:	IMG_20220322_144803_edit_3677646730167.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	503.8 KB 
ID:	652661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_083047_edit_67590479869894.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	977.3 KB 
ID:	652662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_081828_edit_67690095515712.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	652663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_114505_edit_3392494500523.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	652664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_143406_edit_3197554896386.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	445.2 KB 
ID:	652665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_141600.jpg 
Size:	659.6 KB 
ID:	652666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_100617_edit_67377514894406.jpg 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	652667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220319_114001_edit_68353276533840.jpg 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	652668  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220322_133637_edit_3361255764069.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	747.9 KB 
ID:	652670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220323_133804.jpg 
Size:	801.8 KB 
ID:	652671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220323_133623.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	753.4 KB 
ID:	652672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220323_183613.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	546.5 KB 
ID:	652673  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2023/01/03 at 01:24 PM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

that website log thingy is the best i have seen / used

enjoy

+1

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Park entry from Kasane is called Sedudu Gate.

As you said, Serondela is the old camp site (prior to 1994) which is now used as a picnic spot.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Kazungula Bridge - Livingstone - Botswana - Zambia
    Beginning of March 2022

We enjoyed the evening buffets (P 250 pp) at Chobe Safari Lodge at the full and the dumb!lings made us laugh, they tasted like "at home in Germany".
    The two barn owls residing on the roof of the lodge restaurant are an extra bonus.

But Zambia is calling.

The border crossing went easy, all in all it took us 1.5 hours from the moment we drew money on entering to the exit, most of the time, we spent filling out forms and waiting for the person stamping our carnets de passage.

Nobody asks for Police Clearance Certificates.

We had pre-purchased Third Party Insurance for Zambia online and ordered a COMESA yellow card as well (also Third-Party Insurance) at the Livingstone branch of Phoenix Insurance, and our first way is to pick the documents up.
    Our overnight stay at Thorn Tree House was uneventful and quiet, sadly we didn't see any hippos.
    www.thorntreesafaris.com

CAMPSITE US$ 10 / K 180 pppn

Name:	IMG_20220325_112520_edit_17190716708835.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	799.6 KB 
ID:	661032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220405_071301.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	612.9 KB 
ID:	661033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220404_185004.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	661034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220405_073440.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	661035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220405_073452.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	650.9 KB 
ID:	661036  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2023/01/03 at 01:03 PM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Miss Martha Silume is the Phoenix insurance branch superintendent in Livingstone - Zambia.
    Her service is highly recommended.

We bought Third Party insurance cover for Zambia online upfront from Phoenix and picked up the necessary stickers up from her office.
    You can also order insurance and get the necessary stickers delivered to the border.

We also bought COMESA Yellow Card insurance for all other countries we'll be travelling to.

Phoenix Insurance also has agents at every border leading into Zambia.

https://www.phoenixzambia.com/online...tor-insurance/

WA contact Martha Silume +260 97 6829424

The Phoenix office is at Unit 8B, Falls Park Shopping Centre, Mosi-ao-Tunya Road in Livingstone
    In the same complex, you'll find a shop where you can laminate your documents. You will at least need to show your Road Toll Certificate at every toll station while traveling Zambia.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Y5CXsz7r4PXxmkG59

Name:	IMG_20220325_095837_edit_1594640375147300.jpg 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	653579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220325_090430_edit_1594657335840006.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	653580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220324_114635_edit_39836051473608.jpg 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	653581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220324_145547_edit_39782708192366.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	653582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220324_113626.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	653583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220327_142551_edit_174822716252490.jpg 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	653584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220325_085603_edit_611642435588962.jpg 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	653585  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2023/01/03 at 01:03 PM.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

I wonder what happened to Bee & Fred.

The reporting just stopped and their tracking also vanished after Zambia.

I hope they made it back in one piece.

Anybody has any info?
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast