SA car industry to fight plunging demand by raising prices

Default SA car industry to fight plunging demand by raising prices

SA car industry to fight plunging demand by raising prices
    Probably SIAL but funny

JOHANNESBURG. South Africa's automotive industry says it will fight plunging demand for new cars by raising the prices of all vehicles, and expects local car buyers to respond with their traditional enthusiasm for paying three times more for the cars than they are worth. "Unfortunately it's economics," said a spokesman. "I don't know what that means, but it's true."

Demand for new vehicles has plunged by up to 40 percent this year as corporate buyers make difficult decisions in the current tough economic climate, with some blue-chip companies reportedly having to choose between updating their fleet and keeping the free cocaine and high-class prostitutes in the washroom.

"I know that's a choice I couldn't make," said car industry spokesman Edward "Fast Eddie" Cheetan-Steele.

Luckily, he said, private car buyers could always be counted on to spend whatever the industry told them to.

He said the system worked "beautifully" because neither the industry nor the public had any formal education in the fundamentals of economics.

"I don't know much about economics, but what I have heard sounds absolutely diabolical," explained Cheetan-Steele.

"Apparently in economics if you buy something you're only supposed to pay what it's worth, and obviously that's just ridiculous."

He said the less people thought about economics and true value, the happier they and the car industry would be.

However, he said, there was "sound car industry logic" behind the latest decision to raise prices to fight falling demand.

"Some South Africans, mostly hippies and girls, continue to ask why they are paying twice or three times international prices for cars made in Uitenhage," said Cheetan-Steele.

"Our answer is simple: your mamma."

Asked why motoring journalists never questioned grossly inflated prices, Cheetan-Steele explained that most of them were still sleeping in pools of their own vomit in sponsored hotel suites.

However, he conceded that it was perhaps time to phase motoring journalists out of the marketing equation.

"We spend absolute piles on wining and dining them, and frankly they can't tell a Chateau Lafite '29 from a flagon of Late Harvest Crackling," he said.

"In any case, you only need a sycophantic motoring press if you've got a critical or intelligent car-buying public, so yes, we could probably do without them."

(from hayibo.co.za)
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

1st of April is long gone......
    Tom
    2002 BMW R1150GS

Dit is amper soos gewapende roof!!
    Pryse is reeds een keer verhoog in 2009 en nou verstaan ek in Julie wag 'n verdere stywe verhoging. Seker die dat ek moet wag vir my nuwe voertuig se aflewering dat hulle nog die verhoging ook uit my kan wurg.
    Ek het geen simpatie met die bedryf as hulle swaarkry. Hulle verneuk ons as gebruikers te veel. Maklik om te sÍ draai om en loop as die prys jou nie aanstaan, maar waarheen gaan jy want hulle span almal saam. As jy nuwe voertuig nodig het moet jy aan die einde van die dag maar toegee en betaal. Wat die 2de handse mark betref dieselfde - ruil jou kar in en hoor dan wat is als verkeerd hoekom jy nie ordentlike prys kan kry daarvoor. Gee in en kyk na paar dae as dit op die vloer staan - bedrag bygelas en dan hoor die voornemende koper hoe 'n bargain hy nou eintlik kry as hy dit koop. Dus as hulle niks verkoop en sukkel om kos op die tafel te sit - reg so! Julle het baie brood uit ander se monde ook geneem toe julle op vorige deals mense bevark het deur hulle meer te vra as wat die ryding werd was.
    Cheers.

snigger!

Good one.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

This is so true and iv said it for as long as i can remember! South Africans see their cars as their status in life! Yes most South Africans will happily pay more for some that has been marketed to them very well, they will not ask if its truely worth what they paying. No as long as they can stand around the braai and say i bought X and paid my A$$ off for it! As if it lifted their status in the braai rankings?

Its not only in cars and 4X4's its with any thing! sell something that has the same if not better quality for less and its will move very slowly. Get something moving and then hike the price and you have a line out your shop

Hopefully one day things will change?

GM2C

A friend of mine bought himself a new Toyota Prado and with out eaven asking they gave him a R 40 000 discount. Make you wonder how mutch they will dropp if you fight for better price. We, the buyers are to easely rolled over. Shop around don't just take the first price you can get. I f you get a price in Cape Town phone the dealers in Joburg - PE as well and tel them the price you got. These guys will cut each other to get the deal. Play them up against each other, they have screwed us over for years.

Cheers
    I work off shore so I can Play OFF ROAD..lol
    Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemmi. Ltd.
    4" Lift and 33" BFG A/T
    Superchip, Full 76mm free flow
    Bumpers,Rocksliders, full house.

Default new vehicle pricing

didn't teach me their logic in econ 101!