Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Long term review: Mahindra Scorpio S11 Adventure Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    It should stop flickering after lifting off the accelerator briefly.

If not, you need to take it back
    Thanks Hedge, that never crossed my mind. I'll try it this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Woestyn Willem View Post
    If I shift on the fly, the 4x4 sign on the dash just keeps on flickering. The moment I come to a stop, the dash light quits flickering and I can hear the hubs engaging.

LWR engaged and disengaged without any issues though.
    This is not normal, 4x4 Hi engagement on the fly is not dependent on the hubs locking first or the vehicle standing still. You should theoretically be able to shift between 2H and 4H at any speed although it is recommended you do it below 100KM/H. Hubs should only engage when the driveshafts are moving and as it is a purely mechanical system there is no sensor telling the vehicle they are either engaged or not.

On my Pik Up I installed manual hubs for better reliability, in Limpopo with its gravel roads and gravel tar roads I drive with the hubs locked and shift between 2H and 4H as required without stopping. It takes less than 5 seconds to switch between either modes.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2024 Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DDI LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Now for the ugly:

As you may have noted from my OP, there was an issue with the speed sensor when we took delivery of the vehicle. When we got back home, I got underneath the car, located the sensor and I could wiggle it - it thus was loose. Not wanting to void the warranty, we reported the issue to the dealer and yesterday took the vehicle in for the sensor to be replaced.

Now bear in mind that the dealer is 30km away.

To replace the sensor would take about 30min for the most inexperienced mechanic. Unplug the wires, loosen the bolts and remove it - simple as that.

Anyway, we dropped the vehicle off at 07:30am and returned back to work.

At 10:00am I called the dealer and asked if they were done. I was informed by the receptionist that they are still busy. I then asked her if she could give me any time estimation and she replied no. I then asked if she could find out from the workshop manager and she undertook to call me back within 10 minutes. 30 minutes later she called and said they are still busy with the vehicle and that they could not give me a time estimate.

At 15:00 I phone again. Everything is fixed according to them. When we got there, the workshop manager wanted to speak to me. He told me that they fixed the sensor by placing heat shrink on the needle (the needle that goes into the gearbox). I kid you not. Then the workshop manager told me he drove the vehicle for about 15km, and although he is not that familiar with cruise control, everything was working fine according to him. He even bragged nonchalantly that he was amazed how easily the car would do 140kph. Also bear in mind the stretch of road between Oshakati and Ondangwa is one of the most dangerous roads in Namibia. I thought it best to restrain myself as best I could after hearing that.

I did ask why they would try and fix the sensor instead of replacing it and he replied he was so instructed by head office. I then asked him if he is confident that it would last 500k km and he just starred at his feet. At that stage I was a bit disappointed to say the least.

Anyway, we took the car and the first time I could engage cruise control, the issue was still there. I called the workshop manager to inform him and he asked me if I was sure it was not working properly - perhaps that is how Mahindra's cruise control works. When I heard that, I was properly livid. The Mahindra's cruise control I test drove a while back worked perfectly.

I then insisted that they order a new sensor. Now we wait and I'll report back as soon as I hear from them today.

So far, the after sale service is a bit disappointing and I expected more - this dealer is in any case the dealer for Merc, Jeep and Alfa.
    Wens hulle wil ophou om mense wat so deur die dinges is in die motor industrie aan te stel
    Ek kan daai werkswinkel bestuurder se ###praat n myl ver ruik.
    2024 Mahindra S10 Pik Up 4x4 d/c
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:

Sitting on my hands! (as an x Mahindra owner)

Willem, ek hoop regtig jy kom reg en dat dit die laaste issue is!

As Mahindra net hulle %^&* wil uitsort....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LegoDawie For This Useful Post:

Now for the ugly:

As you may have noted from my OP, there was an issue with the speed sensor when we took delivery of the vehicle. When we got back home, I got underneath the car, located the sensor and I could wiggle it - it thus was loose. Not wanting to void the warranty, we reported the issue to the dealer and yesterday took the vehicle in for the sensor to be replaced.

Now bear in mind that the dealer is 30km away.

To replace the sensor would take about 30min for the most inexperienced mechanic. Unplug the wires, loosen the bolts and remove it - simple as that.

Anyway, we dropped the vehicle off at 07:30am and returned back to work.

At 10:00am I called the dealer and asked if they were done. I was informed by the receptionist that they are still busy. I then asked her if she could give me any time estimation and she replied no. I then asked if she could find out from the workshop manager and she undertook to call me back within 10 minutes. 30 minutes later she called and said they are still busy with the vehicle and that they could not give me a time estimate.

At 15:00 I phone again. Everything is fixed according to them. When we got there, the workshop manager wanted to speak to me. He told me that they fixed the sensor by placing heat shrink on the needle (the needle that goes into the gearbox). I kid you not. Then the workshop manager told me he drove the vehicle for about 15km, and although he is not that familiar with cruise control, everything was working fine according to him. He even bragged nonchalantly that he was amazed how easily the car would do 140kph. Also bear in mind the stretch of road between Oshakati and Ondangwa is one of the most dangerous roads in Namibia. I thought it best to restrain myself as best I could after hearing that.

I did ask why they would try and fix the sensor instead of replacing it and he replied he was so instructed by head office. I then asked him if he is confident that it would last 500k km and he just starred at his feet. At that stage I was a bit disappointed to say the least.

Anyway, we took the car and the first time I could engage cruise control, the issue was still there. I called the workshop manager to inform him and he asked me if I was sure it was not working properly - perhaps that is how Mahindra's cruise control works. When I heard that, I was properly livid. The Mahindra's cruise control I test drove a while back worked perfectly.

I then insisted that they order a new sensor. Now we wait and I'll report back as soon as I hear from them today.

So far, the after sale service is a bit disappointing and I expected more - this dealer is in any case the dealer for Merc, Jeep and Alfa.
    Had the same problem. Not the speed sensor but clock spring somehow.
    Ben S.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I am blind"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Had the same problem. Not the speed sensor but clock spring somehow.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll mention that to Mahindra tomorrow.

If I shift on the fly, the 4x4 sign on the dash just keeps on flickering. The moment I come to a stop, the dash light quits flickering and I can hear the hubs engaging.

LWR engaged and disengaged without any issues though.
    Mine had issues with the hubs from early on. They are poor quality. At speed it would try to lock and grind until I basically came to a stop. Then it locked. Stay away from mud and water, those hubs are not sealed properly. I wish I could transfer that 2.2 into my Fortuner... What an engine!
    Ben S.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I am blind"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Good morning all,

As the title suggests, in this thread I shall give a detailed review of my experience of the vehicle over the next few years. My wife and I flew out to Windhoek on Friday afternoon and took delivery of the vehicle on Saturday morning. Ahead of us was a long 720km drive which meant that we would have some time to get familiar with the vehicle with all its thrills and spills.
    Hi Willem, now that you've had the Scorpio for 7 months, do you have any updates on what your experience has been? Did you ever figure out if it has a locking diff at the back? Did you get to go over some axle twisters and see if it managed with wheels in the air? Would love some feedback as I've not seen a lot of off-road reviews for these cars. I would hope it at least has a traction control system that can replicate a locker for when there's wheels spinning?
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Yours will be a long term review because these Mahindra's last long and get into your heart.

We also have a Mahindra SUV, actually this is our second one. The first, a 2.6, was a real trok - dog slow, but got us around SA, Botswana, and Zim five up until the eldest T-boned a Getz. While this was easily and quickly repaired, we decided to upgrade to the 2.2 engine and a 4X4 to suit our family needs.
    The current one, an S10 five speed, is a huge step up from the 2.6 and we have now done 100,000 km. Our three boys have all used it through the end of high school and through varsity, with the trusty Mahindra seeing us through plenty of family and young adult adventures. Our S10 has taken us around South Africa about 3 or 4 times, to the Kruger and back, through the Richtersveld, pulled 5 adults and a big heavy trailer over Naude's neck (in horrible condition, the neck not the car), gone through sand, mud, floods in the townships, and much more.
    This is our family beater, used to do all those jobs precious and expensive cars would not be allowed to do. It was used for the school and sport daily run always full of kids and their bags spilling their food and drink everywhere and leaving their smelly socks in the back. It takes our dogs for daily walks, to the vet and the beach; it carries bricks, concrete, wood, and paint for house renovations, takes rubbish to the tip, it has helped friends move, it is our party bus when friends and family want to do an outing or wine route or a visit to the snow or whatever. The kids are always "borrowing" it for their jols, to move their friends; it's even been a film shoot vehicle covered in aluminum frames and cameras to get a shot of racing across a farmer's field. Just this last December, it took three adults on a 4500 km round trip to the Karoo, Drakensberg, Durban, Hluhluwe, EC, Bushmans River, and back to Cape Town, which included lots of off-the-beaten-track dirt and mud, even one rock climb.

Here are my thoughts on this car:

Problems:

• Burst water pipe: A year after we got it, a little water pipe to the heater coil split. Rajesh (the voice giving warnings from the dashboard) shouted, "Stop Immediately, your car is too hot." He is the same guy who warns in a lovely calm voice to put your seat belt on or that a door is open. Anyway, we pulled over immediately, saving the motor, and Mahindra Bloemfontein fixed it the next morning and treated us really well. Cost: R1000.
    • Diesel filter bracket: At a Mahindra service, they told us the Diesel filter bracket was cracked and needed to be replaced. "Well, why did you not fix it?" I demanded, only to be met with silent confusion. When they never got back to me, I went down to Ford Lansdown who keeps Mahindra parts and bought it immediately for R100. Yes, only ONE HUNDRED RAND and in stock. I replaced it myself, an easy fix those lazy dumb ducks at Mahindra in Claremont could not or would not fix.
    • Speedometer problem, the same as yours where the needle fluctuates wildly over 120 kph. Mahindra said they fixed it but never did, and I have failed to find online what the issue is. If anyone knows the fix, please let us know because this affects the cruise control.
    • Aircon flap, actuator: Another small issue to fix that Mahindra never fixed nor came back to me about. The actuator on the aircon flap changing the flow from outside the vehicle to inside the vehicle makes a thumping noise. Surely, it's a simple fix behind the cubbyhole which I will get around to sometime.
    • Dust coming in through the back door, door card: On long fast blasts through the Tankwa Karoo, fine dust enters the vehicle. Mahindra said they fixed it but they never did. One day I will open it up and seal up the holes they drilled through to put on the number plate.

And those are the only problems I have in 100,000 km of abusive and hard use.

Some comments you might find useful:

• The motor only seems to be run in at about 80,000 km when it becomes even smoother and refined.
    • Tires make this car. Throw away the cheap #### it comes with and put on some BF Goodriches. What a huge difference.
    • This car is a Steady Eddy car that will comfortably do 1000 km a day at 120/130 kph, with plenty of grunt for fast overtakes. Over that, it gets tiring and eats diesel. Fuel consumption at that speed is 13.5 kilometers per liter or 7.5 liters per 100 km. Not bad for a brick. It's even better around town, and on one long day driving the whole day from one end of the Kruger to the other at 60 kph, we were averaging 20 km per liter.
    • This is a very lekker tool, its not a toy for showing off (unless you piss off a very expensive 4X4's as you quitely follow them through some hectic stuff, or overtake a disco spewing smoke up a hill.

• The motor: This is a really special motor, performing much better than what the stats say. Drive it to experience it.
    • The fuel consumption - see above
    • The versatility and practicality, with many trips with 5 adults pulling a heavy 4x4 trailer, lomping along comfortably at 120 odd.
    • The 4X4 - easy to use and works well enabling us to experience and see parts of africa that we never would otherwise.
    • The quirky features. This car has some funny but really useful features, such as lights that shine around corners when you turn; they work really well. Auto wipers (replace the wiper blades to get this to work properly), stop-start (which all the car reviews hate about Mahindra, but you get used to it and cannot rush it, but it's a useful feature at long traffic lights), a really very powerful aircon (which you have to run at 23 degrees when it is 37 degrees outside because it gets so cold inside. That the back row and middle row seating are heavy but easy to remove, the middle with a few bolts, leaving a really useful space if there are just two of you doing some extended traveling or you want to move stuff around.

What I don't like:

• The looks from the side and back and front and top - It's not a pretty car, but sometimes one grows fond of wierd
    • The wind noise at high speed into a strong wind. It's fine at 120 odd, but if there is a strong headwind, you really feel it and your fuel consumption goes up. But slow down a bit and it's fine.
    • The seat material gets dirty easily and is hard to clean. Decent seat covers a must.
    • Useless cup holders - they are square and either too tight or too deep.
    • Cleaning the fussy exterior. The car has lots of horrible nooks and crannies that fill with mud and dust and it takes an age to get clean.
    • Mahindra Service; Lazy ducks in Cape Town, though Mahindra Bloem was great. I now take my car to a private mechanic who actually enjoys working on it.

Last thoughts: Don't buy this car if you have ego sensitivities, everyone looks down their nose at this car. However everyone also always jumps into the Mahinda when there is a party, a wine route, an outing, a 4X4 trail to explore, a group wanting a lift to their marathon or a group wanting to be taken to the start of the Otter Trail or what have you. Its our useful, go anywhere bus. This van is not a showboat of power and prestige, it is a jack of all trades from carring 8 passengers, seeing the back of beyond that requires a 4x4 , going on a family holiday fully loaded with trailer, or doing the daily grind at home. It's cheap, but not nasty, actually everything really stands up well to use, the interior, exterior and mechanics and I am keeping mine. They say these motors do more than 500 000 km, so it will probably outlive me and it has not started to rust yet.

Enjoy yours

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oilspill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Always good to read on honest and down to earth review!
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    2.4 GD6 S/C 4x4 auto
    Bush Lapa Bosluis B2464
    “Death is just a scrap merchant, recycling matter into energy.” Dr PK Le Sueur

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SamM For This Useful Post:

Oilspill...that was probably one of the best reviews I have read in a while about any car. I thank you.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BankRun For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3