Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Long term review: Mahindra Scorpio S11 Adventure Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Woestyn Willem View Post
    The cup is a good idea...

I'll try and find an axle twister and report back.
    Van wat ek op die foto sien sit die skokbreker baie na aan die wiel. Jy sal moet 'n snaakse klip kry om jou daar te pla. Dink nie dit gaan sommer 'n probleem wees nie
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Open Diff. No LSD or MLD! Such a pity.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    2021 Mahindra Scorpio S11 SUV.
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad
    '94 Cruiser 80 GX (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    Open Diff. No LSD or MLD! Such a pity.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ture-rear-diff

I suppose it depends on who you believe?

Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2022/02/15 at 09:42 AM.
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Auto
    ZS6DCP

i would not worry too much about shock mountings.
    things so close to the wheel,bolted to the wheel and moving with the wheel
    don't get damage easily.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ture-rear-diff

I suppose it depends on who you believe?

Just drain the oil, take the cover off and check. (If it is still the Dana diffs it should be easy enough)
    Something for Willem to do this weekend.

Willem just be sure to get all the old sealer off before putting on new sealer.
    Jean
    Old Wheeler
    200 Cruiser (Softroadertjie 2.0)
    P38 Range Rover (Softroadertjie 3.0)
    Nissan Patrol 5.6

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Just drain the oil, take the cover off and check. (If it is still the Dana diffs it should be easy enough)

I suppose we can wait till Monday.

I would love to see this vehicle with an auto box and a manual "flip a switch" diff lock!
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Auto
    ZS6DCP

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

So far so good.

Mahindra undertook to replace the speed sensor and the spare tyre.

No quarrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I suppose we can wait till Monday.

I would love to see this vehicle with an auto box and a manual "flip a switch" diff lock!
    I'll make time the following few weeks to test the diff - But I am 99% sure it has a LSD.

Trouble is my neck of the woods are as flat as Caster's chest, so finding an axle twister will prove difficult.

I can test it at the coast (April this year) or at the farm (May this year).

Yesterday I took the Mahindra for a drive around the bush - nothing hectic - a bit of sand, mud, uneven (washed away gravel) and some twee spoor paadjies.

I engaged 4x4, which according to the manual you can do "on the fly", but found that the hubs only engage when you come to a complete stop and then go forward.

In 4x4 the vehicle feels much more planted and there is a prevailing sense of low down torque due to the gearing. In low range, it sounds and feels a bit like a tractor, but you feel like you can drive over anything.

Compared to my Ford, when engaging 4x4 the vehicle feels heavier though.

I am convinced it has a LSD - while crossing a wash-away in the spoor there was a bit of mud on the right side at the lowest part of the wash-away. I could feel the diff compensating for the rear right wheel spinning and it did the job well. But, I reckon you will need some momentum and proper tekkies if you want to do a traditional axle twister or climb.

The one thing I am pleased about is that it drives sand quite well and it gives me enough confidence that my wife would be able to drive out on the beach on her own with the kids while I stay behind fishing.

I found the suspension quite hard and bumpy yesterday, however given its shape and the fact that it was unladen, the ride was acceptable. Fully laden with tyre pressures dropped to 1 bar, it would make the world of difference IMHO.

Overall I am still pretty chuffed with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220220_150840.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	526.3 KB 
ID:	648563

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220220_150815.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	764.9 KB 
ID:	648564

Yesterday I took the Mahindra for a drive around the bush - nothing hectic - a bit of sand, mud, uneven (washed away gravel) and some twee spoor paadjies.

I engaged 4x4, which according to the manual you can do "on the fly", but found that the hubs only engage when you come to a complete stop and then go forward.

In 4x4 the vehicle feels much more planted and there is a prevailing sense of low down torque due to the gearing. In low range, it sounds and feels a bit like a tractor, but you feel like you can drive over anything.

Compared to my Ford, when engaging 4x4 the vehicle feels heavier though.

I am convinced it has a LSD - while crossing a wash-away in the spoor there was a bit of mud on the right side at the lowest part of the wash-away. I could feel the diff compensating for the rear right wheel spinning and it did the job well. But, I reckon you will need some momentum and proper tekkies if you want to do a traditional axle twister or climb.

The one thing I am pleased about is that it drives sand quite well and it gives me enough confidence that my wife would be able to drive out on the beach on her own with the kids while I stay behind fishing.

I found the suspension quite hard and bumpy yesterday, however given its shape and the fact that it was unladen, the ride was acceptable. Fully laden with tyre pressures dropped to 1 bar, it would make the world of difference IMHO.

Overall I am still pretty chuffed with it.
    I have the 2015 Adventure model that came out with a snorkel. It was the 10 year anniversary edition. Never had a days problem with it. Amazing towing vehicle. Able to shift on the fly into 4x4 H no problem but for LR one must come to a complete stop. Just come back from a week in Kruger towing the Xcape and averaged 9.5 km/l at 110 km/hr.
    Mahindra Scorpio Adventure 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4
    Imagine Comfortvan
    Jurgens XCape 2015 (SOLD)
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013(SOLD)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

Real world experience threads like this are useful.
    I'm avoiding vehicle finance like a plague but if I had to look, this vehicle is quite high up on my list.
    Quite often I find myself convincing myself not to stop at the local dealership down the road. Don't want to waste their time.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Now for the ugly:

As you may have noted from my OP, there was an issue with the speed sensor when we took delivery of the vehicle. When we got back home, I got underneath the car, located the sensor and I could wiggle it - it thus was loose. Not wanting to void the warranty, we reported the issue to the dealer and yesterday took the vehicle in for the sensor to be replaced.

Now bear in mind that the dealer is 30km away.

To replace the sensor would take about 30min for the most inexperienced mechanic. Unplug the wires, loosen the bolts and remove it - simple as that.

Anyway, we dropped the vehicle off at 07:30am and returned back to work.

At 10:00am I called the dealer and asked if they were done. I was informed by the receptionist that they are still busy. I then asked her if she could give me any time estimation and she replied no. I then asked if she could find out from the workshop manager and she undertook to call me back within 10 minutes. 30 minutes later she called and said they are still busy with the vehicle and that they could not give me a time estimate.

At 15:00 I phone again. Everything is fixed according to them. When we got there, the workshop manager wanted to speak to me. He told me that they fixed the sensor by placing heat shrink on the needle (the needle that goes into the gearbox). I kid you not. Then the workshop manager told me he drove the vehicle for about 15km, and although he is not that familiar with cruise control, everything was working fine according to him. He even bragged nonchalantly that he was amazed how easily the car would do 140kph. Also bear in mind the stretch of road between Oshakati and Ondangwa is one of the most dangerous roads in Namibia. I thought it best to restrain myself as best I could after hearing that.

I did ask why they would try and fix the sensor instead of replacing it and he replied he was so instructed by head office. I then asked him if he is confident that it would last 500k km and he just starred at his feet. At that stage I was a bit disappointed to say the least.

Anyway, we took the car and the first time I could engage cruise control, the issue was still there. I called the workshop manager to inform him and he asked me if I was sure it was not working properly - perhaps that is how Mahindra's cruise control works. When I heard that, I was properly livid. The Mahindra's cruise control I test drove a while back worked perfectly.

I then insisted that they order a new sensor. Now we wait and I'll report back as soon as I hear from them today.

So far, the after sale service is a bit disappointing and I expected more - this dealer is in any case the dealer for Merc, Jeep and Alfa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petzer View Post
    I have the 2015 Adventure model that came out with a snorkel. It was the 10 year anniversary edition. Never had a days problem with it. Amazing towing vehicle. Able to shift on the fly into 4x4 H no problem but for LR one must come to a complete stop. Just come back from a week in Kruger towing the Xcape and averaged 9.5 km/l at 110 km/hr.
    If I shift on the fly, the 4x4 sign on the dash just keeps on flickering. The moment I come to a stop, the dash light quits flickering and I can hear the hubs engaging.

LWR engaged and disengaged without any issues though.

So far, the after sale service is a bit disappointing and I expected more - this dealer is in any case the dealer for Merc, Jeep and Alfa.
    Strange then, they should be so used to dealing with come-backs and upset clients all the time then

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Now for the ugly:

As you may have noted from my OP, there was an issue with the speed sensor when we took delivery of the vehicle. When we got back home, I got underneath the car, located the sensor and I could wiggle it - it thus was loose. Not wanting to void the warranty, we reported the issue to the dealer and yesterday took the vehicle in for the sensor to be replaced.

Now bear in mind that the dealer is 30km away.

To replace the sensor would take about 30min for the most inexperienced mechanic. Unplug the wires, loosen the bolts and remove it - simple as that.

Anyway, we dropped the vehicle off at 07:30am and returned back to work.

At 10:00am I called the dealer and asked if they were done. I was informed by the receptionist that they are still busy. I then asked her if she could give me any time estimation and she replied no. I then asked if she could find out from the workshop manager and she undertook to call me back within 10 minutes. 30 minutes later she called and said they are still busy with the vehicle and that they could not give me a time estimate.

At 15:00 I phone again. Everything is fixed according to them. When we got there, the workshop manager wanted to speak to me. He told me that they fixed the sensor by placing heat shrink on the needle (the needle that goes into the gearbox). I kid you not. Then the workshop manager told me he drove the vehicle for about 15km, and although he is not that familiar with cruise control, everything was working fine according to him. He even bragged nonchalantly that he was amazed how easily the car would do 140kph. Also bear in mind the stretch of road between Oshakati and Ondangwa is one of the most dangerous roads in Namibia. I thought it best to restrain myself as best I could after hearing that.

I did ask why they would try and fix the sensor instead of replacing it and he replied he was so instructed by head office. I then asked him if he is confident that it would last 500k km and he just starred at his feet. At that stage I was a bit disappointed to say the least.

Anyway, we took the car and the first time I could engage cruise control, the issue was still there. I called the workshop manager to inform him and he asked me if I was sure it was not working properly - perhaps that is how Mahindra's cruise control works. When I heard that, I was properly livid. The Mahindra's cruise control I test drove a while back worked perfectly.

I then insisted that they order a new sensor. Now we wait and I'll report back as soon as I hear from them today.

Oh boy! Sorry to hear that! My cruise control works perfectly! Used it all the way back from Kruger! Having said that we are having major problems with an Opel Mokka bought from Willams Hunt here in Edenvale. It is more in their workshop than we have actually used it!
    Imagine Comfortvan

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Strange then, they should be so used to dealing with come-backs and upset clients all the time then

True.

If I shift on the fly, the 4x4 sign on the dash just keeps on flickering. The moment I come to a stop, the dash light quits flickering and I can hear the hubs engaging.

Definitely a problem then.
    Imagine Comfortvan

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

It should stop flickering after lifting off the accelerator briefly.

If not, you need to take it back

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petzer View Post
    Oh boy! Sorry to hear that! My cruise control works perfectly! Used it all the way back from Kruger! Having said that we are having major problems with an Opel Mokka bought from Willams Hunt here in Edenvale. It is more in their workshop than we have actually used it!
    And that's the thing - this has by no means dampened my outlook on the reliability of the vehicle itself. I have had bigger issues from known brands such as Nissan and VW before.

It is merely the after sale service that was disappointing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast