Default Returning from Bots to SA

Hope you can help please?

Ive read more than one post in Drivebots FB page saying they only needed a rapid covid test to enter SA again.
    Obviously they did it but is this taking a chance or is it now the new requirements?

Default Re: Returning from Bots to SA

As far as I know nothing has officially changed, you still need a <72 hour PCR test. When we left in June the Bots authorities were very particular about checking. Coming back on a Friday afternoon at 15:30 the Bots border was very dutiful and even turned 3 guys back who didn't have the PCR. On the SA side the computers were down, one staff member was fast asleep in an open office, catching flies, the other two chatting. We have them 4 passports, they just stamped them without even looking, checked precisely zero info on us about Covid or reg papers, and we were through in 2 minutes.

I think the whole rapid test thing is just a little money earner there, the test company working in a Quantum, aided by border officials who get a back hander. You might get lucky and not need anything, you might get away with a rapid, or you could get hit with a turn back and a days delay. With a PCR you take that risk off the table at a P900 cost, and then still be forced to pay your R300 for the imposed rapid at the border.

I can't find anything repealing the ruling for the PCR, so that would be my stance, but welcome to South Africa.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2022/01/29 at 01:29 PM.
    'Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.' Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    As far as I know nothing has officially changed, you still need a <72 hour PCR test. When we left in June the Bots authorities were very particular about checking. Coming back on a Friday afternoon at 15:30 the Bots border was very dutiful and even turned 3 guys back who didn't have the PCR. On the SA side the computers were down, one staff member was fast asleep in an open office, catching flies, the other two chatting. We have them 4 passports, they just stamped them without even looking, checked precisely zero info on us about Covid or reg papers, and we were through in 2 minutes.

I think the whole rapid test thing is just a little money earner there, the test company working in a Quantum, aided by border officials who get a back hander. You might get lucky and not need anything, you might get away with a rapid, or you could get hit with a turn back and a days delay. With a PCR you take that risk off the table at a P900 cost, and then still be forced to pay your R300 for the imposed rapid at the border.

I can't find anything repealing the ruling for the PCR, so that would be my stance, but welcome to South Africa.
    Thank you. Appreciate your reply!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kudus For This Useful Post:

We came back into SA through Ramatlabama post in September. We had seen various reports of rapid tests, only, being successful back into SA. I even had a phone number for the guy doing the rapid tests, and checked in with him on WhatsApp.

When we arrived at the border without a PCR test, the Bots side was no problem, but when we got to the SA side and, asked about the rapid test, all I got from Port Health and Immigration was, eh, eh, eh, ah. Eventually, a form was produced for us to sign that we would self isolate at home for 10 days.

I told them it would take me 4 days to get home and asked when the isolation would start, the answer was now.

It seems when the rapid is available, it is often only for limited hours.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Be safe and do the PCR, they are very unpredictable. I know of people that crossed with a Rapid, I also know of people that was turned away because they only had a Rapid test.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76SW 4.5D V8
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8GD-6 4x4
    Conqueror Companion

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush Boy For This Useful Post: