Default Vodacom Greedy again!

I have just received a sms, as some members might have also, that states that my vodamail service will be upgraded to a "premium" service from 31 March @ R29 / month. Should I decline me vodamail email address will be deleted. I have been a vodacom customer since the mid 90's and have been using their included (when signing a contract) email service ever since as a back-up / private email address. I also use this address as a log-in for many sites so I have stayed with vodacom (sometimes against my better judgement) in order to use this benefit.

After inquiring, it seems I have no choice but to sign on for the "premium email service" and will have to have a contract with vodacom to continue using this service. "Gun to head"!!! Maybe this is the opportunity to switch to another service provider!

Now apart from Gmail what other email service providers are worthwhile are out there that I might want to consider?
    "When a clown enters a palace, he does not turn into a prince, the palace turns into a circus."

Luka Geertsema

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vodacom Greedy again!

Your best bets are gmail, yahoo, outlook for a free email address that "seems" like it will stick around for some time.

Those are all secure, free email accounts. Apart from the fact that they monetise your information to sell advertising they are safe. It's anonymous but that is what it is.

Protonmail is a good free email with a smaller amount of storage, 500MB (read, needs housekeeping) and does not share your data in any way. - https://protonmail.com/
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Hijack. Luckily I was early out of the blocks many years ago, registered my own mail domain for my business and used that, so not beholden to an ISP for service.

Honestly, I think until you have your own domain you're in the hands of your ISP, and they'll always look for a way to monetize something. Even better when it's something as intertwined in your life as email.
    'Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.' Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Proton is the most secure e mail that I know off. Registation as Mickey Mouse with some number behind is possible

Yahoo has also Pro version. Price is going up.

When using free services read the conditions. At one time what ever was sent through Microsoft e mail system the ownership of the content changed to MS. Then somebody actually read the conditions and they were changed.

Own domain with console and mailing list facility (those having business) is worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Your best bets are gmail, yahoo, outlook for a free email address that "seems" like it will stick around for some time.

Those are all secure, free email accounts. Apart from the fact that they monetise your information to sell advertising they are safe. It's anonymous but that is what it is.

Protonmail is a good free email with a smaller amount of storage, 500MB (read, needs housekeeping) and does not share your data in any way. - https://protonmail.com/
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

As already suggested, gmail and Yahoo are decent generic email providers, I've had a free Yahoo address as my primary for 22 years now, no matter where I was living. Back then they offered a whopping 6MB instead of Hotmails paltry 2MB. Now, Yahoo offers 1TB of free email storage, gmail 15GB.

Another option is to register your own domain at say Afrihost for about 100 Rond a year, but you don't have to use their email service, you can attach the domain to Google Workspace, for a smallish fee, and enjoy all the benefits of Gmail, at a domain you own. But, as long as you stay the owner of the domain, you can move your email service to any other provider such as Office365. No, you don't need to have a website, you can just leave the Afrihost parking page and update the MX records accordingly.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2022/01/29 at 12:25 PM.
    Naes is Sean backwards, and it sounds like 'nice', so I drive a nice Landy.

A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DifflockDonkey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DifflockDonkey View Post
    Valid point, I think what irks me is that the costs were included in your contract (free) for more than 20 years....... what has changed?
    "When a clown enters a palace, he does not turn into a prince, the palace turns into a circus."

Luka Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Valid point, I think what irks me is that the costs were included in your contract (free) for more than 20 years....... what has changed?
    Honestly...

They realized enough people have been using their service for such a long time, that they will happily part with R29 per month just to safe them the inconvenience of moving email provider.

You are in the minority of people that want to move. Most will just cough up and stay. Nothing wrong with that, to be honest. But just know the service you get is sub-par(regarding email). I've moved my email over to dedicated email providers. Years ago. I pay for this.

I hear everyone saying register your own domain. Ok and then? Run your own mail server? You going to keep courier (https://www.courier-mta.org/ <--- most ISP's use this) going properly, maintain/manage it, and keep it updated? Are you going to keep, pay, and maintain (Microsoft) Exchange? Maintaining a mail server is really not just 1,2,3.

That is not a reasonable option for 99.99999999999% of everyone on the planet. Having your "own domain" mail server hosted by an ISP is the same as just using their mail anyway. You just have an @whatIwant.co.za.com.au.org.whatyouwant.

I use Proton, & Tutanota. I get 0(ZERO) spam. It's uncanny how well they work. Both are paid accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Remember Photobucket?
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

I use www.tutanota.com

Just bear in mind with this service is to keep a secure record of your password. There is no password recovery as part of their security.

Quote Originally Posted by DifflockDonkey View Post
    Honestly...

They realized enough people have been using their service for such a long time, that they will happily part with R29 per month just to safe them the inconvenience of moving email provider.

You are in the minority of people that want to move. Most will just cough up and stay. Nothing wrong with that, to be honest. But just know the service you get is sub-par(regarding email). I've moved my email over to dedicated email providers. Years ago. I pay for this.

I hear everyone saying register your own domain. Ok and then? Run your own mail server? You going to keep courier (https://www.courier-mta.org/ <--- most ISP's use this) going properly, maintain/manage it, and keep it updated? Are you going to keep, pay, and maintain (Microsoft) Exchange? Maintaining a mail server is really not just 1,2,3.

That is not a reasonable option for 99.99999999999% of everyone on the planet. Having your "own domain" mail server hosted by an ISP is the same as just using their mail anyway. You just have an @whatIwant.co.za.com.au.org.whatyouwant.

I use Proton, & Tutanota. I get 0(ZERO) spam. It's uncanny how well they work. Both are paid accounts.
    The point behind your own domain is you can choose who hosts it without having to change your email address. Kinda like not taking the extended warranty and using the Indi of your choice.

Finding a mail host is easy. Telling 5000 contacts your new email address without major admin is not.
    'Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.' Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wasn't aware of this. But I am fed up with their crap email anyway. Wanted to change for years already but the admin made me suck it up. Getting my own domain might be an option, i have built websites and set up email domains before. I don't see hassle?
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage
    YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UC9NsHwaew1QQwFLuIx38UbQ
    Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

seems to be the in thing at the moment....my fibre speed has been upgraded twice and the price has gone up each time(i didn't ask for it)....I have only one choice in the matter....keep or cancel the service...

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Y View Post
    seems to be the in thing at the moment....my fibre speed has been upgraded twice and the price has gone up each time(i didn't ask for it)....I have only one choice in the matter....keep or cancel the service...
    Move to another ISP, installation is done. They just reconnect you from their side. I did not go for a contract. Month to month so that I don't get caught with ridiculously crap service like with SADV, but on the other hand they can adjust prices like they want....
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage
    YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UC9NsHwaew1QQwFLuIx38UbQ
    Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.