Default How things differ across the world

I have a friend/business acquaintance here in Greece who is an Israeli by birth. He lives here but also goes back to Israel quite often and will possibly retire there one day.

Some time ago he told me about his "villa" he is building just outside Tel Aviv. I laughed when he told me it's 250sqm and he calls it a villa. Today he visited me and I asked him about the progress on his "villa". So he proceeded to show me some pictures of the structure in progress. The most astounding part was that by law, the first and centre most part of any new house has to be a bomb proof strong room (from reinforced concrete). Then the rest of the house is built around it.

For a moment I was speechless to think that something like that can be part and parcel of a society, yet that is their reality.

Just some trivia for the day.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: How things differ across the world

Israeli shopping malls have airport level metal detectors at the entrances

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I have a friend/business acquaintance here in Greece who is an Israeli by birth. He lives here but also goes back to Israel quite often and will possibly retire there one day.

Some time ago he told me about his "villa" he is building just outside Tel Aviv. I laughed when he told me it's 250sqm and he calls it a villa. Today he visited me and I asked him about the progress on his "villa". So he proceeded to show me some pictures of the structure in progress. The most astounding part was that by law, the first and centre most part of any new house has to be a bomb proof strong room (from reinforced concrete). Then the rest of the house is built around it.

For a moment I was speechless to think that something like that can be part and parcel of a society, yet that is their reality.

When you visit Israel, in the “older” areas - especially up North closer to the Lebanon border, all of the houses have a bomb shelter built on the side of the house.
    Thick reinforced concrete and steel doors.

In Tel Aviv, and many of the areas in the cities, the doors and windows have these extremely heavy, thick roller shutters that can be lowered to protect you from flying glass in case of a rocket attack.

I have been to the States, Europe, the UK, Asia, and a lot of Africa, and the safest I have ever felt was in Israel.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

Oom moet bietjie hier in my valley kom kuier. Die ou weermaghuise het nog almal die bomskuilings - ek het in een van hulle ook grootgeword. Die ingang was gewoonlik in die hoofslaapkamer (so klein staal deur) en die vloer van die bomskuiling so bietjie meer as 'n meter onder die vloervlak van die huis.

Nou is dit 'n sinnelose vertrek, want mens kan nie eers iets daarin stoor nie. Die ingang is net te klein!
    Last edited by Woestyn Willem; 2022/01/26 at 04:48 PM.

I honestly have to wonder what will happen if you show him - your Israeli friend - a series of pics starting with:

* The high walls with electric fence,
    * The Roboguards in the garden,
    * The Boerboel sleeping outside,
    * The LED spots all around the house,
    * The burglar bars all around,
    * The Trellidoors all around,
    * The alarm system,
    * The camera system,
    * The passive alarms,
    * The safety door in the hallway,
    * The 2 keffertjies sleeping inside,
    * The mace, Glock, panic button, airhorn, LED spotlight & tactical knife on the bedside table,
    * The 12 ga pump ready to rock & roll in the corner of the main bedroom,

as can be found in and around many, many South African homes today.

Will this amaze him as much as his scenario amazes us?

Honest question.
    Jaco Nell

The most sensitive airport scanner I ever went through in my life was at Harare Airport in 2005. After removing every thing that could possibly have metal on me, it still triggered, ended up steel caps in my shoes, and they have been through many airports before then and never triggered a thing.

Every block of flats in Finland has to have a bomb shelter. For general public all cities have public bomb shelters. All of them are used for other purposes during peace time but they have to be ready for the real purpose within specified number of hours.

Maybe Finns do not trust Russians Actually they have just now military exercises on the areas surrounding the capital. Full army reserves are apparently over 800 000. That is more than USA has.

Our life is easy.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Try to forget a hand bag into a restaurant in Israel

It was not in Israel. I did report lonely luggage on an airport.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car