Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default A common misconception about social media

Dear members,

There seems to be a prevailing misconception about the use of social media platforms.

In the recent past we have seen numerous threads posted in which members have opposite views on a subject, and granted these views are often pushed to the extremes (on both sides of the fence).

But there has also been a trend that the moment you disagree with the OP or its theme, you are viewed as cynical, negative or a bitter old fart. It is this perception that I wish to discuss on this thread.

It should be common cause to everyone here that as a community we reflect all walks of life and by implication, we shall have diverse views on subjects, not even taking into account our diverse range of personalities.

I'll be the first to admit that I have on more than one occasion posted something with the intent to ruffle the feathers a bit. This I do for two reasons: (1) I consider myself a clown and do it for my own amusement and (2) to bring across a different point of view - i.e. to force the reader to think about the subject differently. With regards to the first mentioned point, that is my personality and I shall do my best to restrain myself. On the last mentioned aspect, I do so to express my views, albeit on a cryptic level sometimes. I am also sure that if and when I cross the line, the mods will remedy the issue in a manner they deem fit (and which I accept).

But it must always be borne in mind that this is a social media platform and once you click the submit button, you have to accept that:

1) Others may not agree with you

2) Others may post different views

3) Others may criticize your views.

This is part and parcel of using social media and the dynamics thereof differ somewhat to a personal conversation. It would be unfair in my view, given the above, to admonish someone who views a subject differently and to request a member to adopt an attitude of "smile and wave" thereby implying that if you do not agree with a subject, rather move along. This is not how social media works.

This however does not mean that you can say what you want. Good manners and tact goes a long way - something which I shall make a greater effort of. I guess the best way to explain it is this: you should never put yourself in a position that you demand someone gets of his high horse to come and wrestle with you in the mud - if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I have spoken my peace. Carry on and cheers.
    Last edited by Woestyn Willem; 2022/01/26 at 08:59 AM.

Default Re: A common misconception about social media

Hoeveel hof sake is daar wat jou frustreer en afgehandel moet word
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:

Edited my first post to include the word "never".

Freudian slip I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    Hoeveel hof sake is daar wat jou frustreer en afgehandel moet word
    Ek bedank oom vir die feit dat oom die waagmoed het om my opinie te kritiseer

I disagree. You dissertation is not complete.

I too fall fowl of my quirky personality. Often, in fact very often, what I intended to say, and what people thought I said are VERY different things.

What I don't like is people making snide comments instead of joining the debate and calling a spade a spade to your face.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

That is true Willem.

If we all were of the same opinion then the threads will be one pagers.

Posting a comment on a social media platform leaves you open to criticism and the bad wolfs to devour you.

Thus, be prepared to ignore / take it on the chin and move on if that happens.

I must also add that in general we have a cool bunch of members here.
    V6 Everest- TBA
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2021 Ford Ecosport 1.0 Titanium auto - SWAMBO's new car and she loves it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Predator For This Useful Post:

Valid points there, these 3 ones.

I think one of the reasons why everything tends to argue easier on social media is because of the (semi) anonymity on internet involved, as well as the false/safe secure feeling one has behind a keyboard and screen, sitting at home, or office, with various luxuries others do not have (such as internet, aircon, swimming pool, paid-off house, a dream-car).

Everyone has unique life styles and experiences, which is the indirect cause of their personality, viewpoints and reason for different opinions.

Many also have not the insights or experience that others have experienced, so they could not give a more balanced, reasonable, fair, you name it, opinion or advice.

For example:
    - any idea how a disabled person struggled thru life? Can you put yourself in their shoes and, with all honesty, disagree with that disabled person(s)?
    - same applies for living/growing-up in a poor environment where one has to wonder where the next food or clothes or money comes in?

Having said that, it is always a good idea to write down something on a forum, but before one press the "Submit' button, ask yourself these 3 points of WoesteWillem.

My 2c's ge-gorrel (as a disabled but I think many won't/don't care) :-)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Woestyn Willem View Post
    Dear members,

There seems to be a prevailing misconception about the use of social media platforms.

In the recent past we have seen numerous threads posted in which members have opposite views on a subject, and granted these views are often pushed to the extremes (on both sides of the fence).

But there has also been a trend that the moment you disagree with the OP or its theme, you are viewed as cynical, negative or a bitter old fart. It is this perception that I wish to discuss on this thread.

It should be common cause to everyone here that as a community we reflect all walks of life and by implication, we shall have diverse views on subjects, not even taking into account our diverse range of personalities.

I'll be the first to admit that I have on more than one occasion posted something with the intent to ruffle the feathers a bit. This I do for two reasons: (1) I consider myself a clown and do it for my own amusement and (2) to bring across a different point of view - i.e. to force the reader to think about the subject differently. With regards to the first mentioned point, that is my personality and I shall do my best to restrain myself. On the last mentioned aspect, I do so to express my views, albeit on a cryptic level sometimes. I am also sure that if and when I cross the line, the mods will remedy the issue in a manner they deem fit (and which I accept).

But it must always be borne in mind that this is a social media platform and once you click the submit button, you have to accept that:

1) Others may not agree with you ​​Yes they are entitled to be wrong.

2) Others may post different views ​​It's good to see how wrong they can actually be

3) Others may criticize your views. ​​Keyboard tough guys!

This is part and parcel of using social media and the dynamics thereof differ somewhat to a personal conversation. It would be unfair in my view, given the above, to admonish someone who views a subject differently and to request a member to adopt an attitude of "smile and wave" thereby implying that if you do not agree with a subject, rather move along. This is not how social media works. ​I don't request that OTHER'S smile and wave, it is I who chooses to do so. Life is so much easier when one accepts that others don't have to comply to one's own way of thinking and one is grown up enough to just give a smile of derision and simply walk away.

This however does not mean that you can say what you want. Good manners and tact goes a long way - something which I shall make a greater effort of. I guess the best way to explain it is this: you should never put yourself in a position that you demand someone gets of his high horse to come and wrestle with you in the mud - if that makes any sense. ​ Yep, the superior attitude displayed by some other's is often mirrored in ourselves.

Anyway, I have spoken my peace. Carry on and cheers.
    I decided a while back to not get involved (well try not to) in silly threads. I have my say now and leave it at that if it gets heated. Many many many times I have a scathing reply and simply choose not push the send button. Life becomes so much less stressful when we allow ejits to be ejits and not let it bother you. (Even if that ejit may be oneself).

Much like another thread a week or so ago, I would braai with almost everyone on this forum. Whether they choose to braai with me is up to them.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Valid points there, these 3 ones.

I think one of the reasons why everything tends to argue easier on social media is because of the (semi) anonymity on internet involved, as well as the false/safe secure feeling one has behind a keyboard and screen, sitting at home, or office, with various luxuries others do not have (such as internet, aircon, swimming pool, paid-off house, a dream-car).

Everyone has unique life styles and experiences, which is the indirect cause of their personality, viewpoints and reason for different opinions.

Many also have not the insights or experience that others have experienced, so they could not give a more balanced, reasonable, fair, you name it, opinion or advice.

For example:
    - any idea how a disabled person struggled thru life? Can you put yourself in their shoes and, with all honesty, disagree with that disabled person(s)?
    - same applies for living/growing-up in a poor environment where one has to wonder where the next food or clothes or money comes in?

Having said that, it is always a good idea to write down something on a forum, but before one press the "Submit' button, ask yourself these 3 points of WoesteWillem.

My 2c's ge-gorrel (as a disabled but I think many won't/don't care) :-)
    And that's the thing Groenhoender: I now know that you are disabled. Therefore, I shall be more sensitive to your position, but on topics unrelated, I will say my say regardless - lucky we mostly agree on most issues

I think we can all do with a teaspoon of cement once in a while to toughen up regarding differing points of view.

On a slightly unrelated point, most legal guys I know would use best members instead of dear members.
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    I think we can all do with a teaspoon of cement once in a while to toughen up regarding differing points of view.

On a slightly unrelated point, most legal guys I know would use best members instead of dear members.
    I regard all members as dear, but most certainly not as best - as is my social media right

Hmmm

What is it today, Wednesday?

Friday is still coming.

Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

I am offended and you all need to change your mind.

EDIT
    Fun fact, you can reverse percentages that look tricky to work out in your head. For example 16% of 25 is the same thing as 25% of 16
    Last edited by PsyPhin; 2022/01/26 at 09:30 AM.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Hmmm

What is it today, Wednesday?

Friday is still coming.

Fridays are my clown days. Today is Wednesday. 50% maximum effort only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post

Ahh that might help, I was having running poop for months now and was afraid immodium might block the system completely
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    I am offended and you all need to change your mind.
    Case in point.

You are being comical and I appreciate that.

People need to be less selective.

If everyone can do that, it would be super.

Apology accepted Willem
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I find it worrying how many members need to comment and opinion on such a variety of threads and with such repetition.

Even as an adult, I remember Mom's words: "learn to listen and speak when spoken to"

One doesn't always have to join in the conversation to benefit from it

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieterf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Woestyn Willem View Post
    I regard all members as dear, but most certainly not as best - as is my social media right
    'Dear' Willem
    Try using best ' ' and best regards with your clients in future.
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    I find it worrying how many members need to comment and opinion on such a variety of threads and with such repetition.

Even as an adult, I remember Mom's words: "learn to listen and speak when spoken to"

One doesn't always have to join in the conversation to benefit from it
    Case in point 2:

My understanding is that when you post for instance in the 4x4 pub, you do not have a single recipient in mind otherwise you would have had a conversation with that person directly. You post in the pup to garner a wide variety of viewers, who may disagree. And that is my gripe.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast