Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What vehicle to hire for month in parks in Kenya including Masai Mara

Please advise
    What is the most reliable vehicle to hire for the above trip
    We are three adults have had experience driving in the bush (e.g. N luangwa to S Luangwa )
    We have been offered

Toyota Landcruiser hardtop 75/78

4x4 Landcruiser V8

Landcruiser 78 series

Landrover 4x4

Landcruiser GX

Landcruiser Prado automatic

Landcruiser Prado TX

All suggestions gratefully received

Default Re: What vehicle to hire for month in parks in Kenya including Masai Mara

I’m afraid the question is “what vehicle is available from a reputable company?”.

As you have no doubt read, there are very few companies in Kenya who rent out fully-equipped 4x4s as you have been used to in the southern African countries.

But if you are worrying about the roads in (and to and from) the Mara - having been in the Luangwa valley, ZAM - then you have no worries. The similarities are striking. However, the main roads inside the Maasai Mara are, actually, very much better than the traverse from N Luangwa to S Luangwa. The “05” ZAM is a different kettle of fish.

I’m sure that most areas of the Mara can still be done in a normal saloon car. We took my father’s Peugeot 504 straight across the Mara - admittedly many years ago. Wait until you see where Toyota Corollas and the modern-equivalent, the Pro Box, can go!

If I knew what time of year you are planning this trip - and more details on who has quoted for those vehicles - then I can give better advice.

And, remember, a trip report is your payback…

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What vehicle to hire for month in parks in Kenya including Masai Mara

You could talk to your fellow Dutchman - DutchieGoingAfrica - who is still working on his trip report from November 2021. He has written great things about his first few days, but seems to have stalled.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t-amp-Amboseli

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Are you looking for a fully equipped 4 x 4 for camping or is a "normal" 4x 4 fine?

I agree, it´s not just the car - the company is obviously more important.

We have a nice contact with central rent a car and will get a Prado next week - hopefully.

If it is not too urgent I can tell about our experiences in a few weeks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mabe For This Useful Post:

Totally agree with WW and Mabe. More important than vehicle Makes and Models, is the vehicle maintenance and reliability the company you are hiring from offers to you. Also, hiring prices may not necessarily match with quality and reliability.

@Mabe : good to know you are back on the road (some envy here!). We will definitely wait from some news on your adventure.

Do enjoy marvelous Kenya. Safari njema!

AP

If anyone has any recommendations re a car hire which is reliable with well maintained vehicle please can you send me the relevant details ?
    many thanks Ceri
    Last edited by madaboutafrica; 2022/01/30 at 01:43 AM.

Ortelius on this forum did some considerable research a few years ago about rental vehicles. Have a look for his thread.

Most people who have rented vehicles in Kenya in recent years have used Road Trip Kenya. Old vehicles, but they seem to have a network of mechanics who can come to help if needed. On a recent trip to Kenya we met some Czechs who were renting a Road Trip Kenya pick-up type (which didn’t have the RTK logo on it) and they didn’t complain about the vehicle.

Sunworld Safaris are a reputable safari company and they do have a few self-drive rental vehicles, I understand. They are, apparently, expensive.

But be aware that any vehicle will be (a) expensive and (b) not the standard you may be used to in the southern African countries. Kenya is not known for self-drive 4x4 rentals. It might be cheaper to go with a budget safari operator.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    You could talk to your fellow Dutchman - DutchieGoingAfrica - who is still working on his trip report from November 2021. He has written great things about his first few days, but seems to have stalled.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t-amp-Amboseli
    Still very much alive and already busy with writing. Have to keep everyone excited ha (-;
    I should’ve been writing some stories each day in Kenya...

Quote Originally Posted by DutchieGoingAfrica View Post
    Still very much alive and already busy with writing. Have to keep everyone excited ha (-;
    I should’ve been writing some stories each day in Kenya...
    Thanks! Of course, our Dutch is non-existent, so well done you for writing a trip report in your second language. Looking forward to hearing more. Don’t worry about photos.

Perhaps the OP on this thread might like to hear about the vehicle you hired, how it was, and who you hired it from?