Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Substantial voltage drop when Compressor kicks in

I have a 60l and a 80l Snomaster, they both do the same, been running for 4 and 5 years respectively, no problems.

It is what it is, amp draw and voltage drop, as was already explained!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Next camping trip I will share photos of my 66L and 60L starting/running amps and voltage on 1 Anderson plug with splitter after that. to fridges..let's then see
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2022/01/27 at 12:20 PM.
    Don’t blame yourself over past mistakes. It’s like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 138 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 131 000 km

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Look, in terms of the main function of the fridge, my Snomaster runs perfectly. Food and drinks are always cold. The issue is only with using the built in low voltage cutout. With the substantial voltage drop it can't be set at 11.8V as it cuts out long before the battery is depleted. Setting it lower works to keep the fridge running, just with less control. I might look into getting something like the Victron Smart Battery Protect at some point and adding that to my battery box.

In the meantime I'll keep investigating the issue as it has piqued my interest. Maybe one of the more electrically inclined guys can confirm my logic below, which seems to indicate that the voltage drop we are experiencing is excessive. I admit, I am very unsure about the resistance per meter values. Also I am not finding much info on what can be expected in terms of resistance through an Anderson plug, so for now I am assuming it to be negligible (if it is done properly).

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 144
Size:  7.8 KB
    Last edited by rvdm1; 2022/01/27 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    RvdM

2017 Mitsubishi PS 2.5DI-D 4x4 MT
    2011 Suzuki GV 2.4 M (SOLD)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rvdm1 For This Useful Post:

For what its worth.

We ran the 42 Lt Snomaster in the back of the prado on a recent trip to Augrabies. All standard factory plugs and wires and noticed the following on the remote monitor in the front. With temperature set @-8 the displayed voltage was 13.4 - 13.5 with compressor off and 12.6 - 12.8 with compressor running. This was while driving and with ambient temperatures in high 30`s. I only ran it with the engine running and was therefor not concerned with the voltage drop.

I know a good cool box and ice packs would also have kept the frozen stuff frozen while traveling, but i must admit that the Snomaster will come in very handy for additional cooling / freezing capacity when camping. Although working fine, the 3-way Zero is bulky and heavy compared to the Snomaster.

I also realised that i will have to construct some sort of packing / drawer system to keep the rest of the luggage clear of the cooling / ventilation areas on the fridge.

I have since tested it without the engine running and voltage @ battery about 12.4 V and on Snomaster display 10.2 - 10.4 before cutting out ( set to 10.0 V to test ) after a very short time and before reaching the set temperature. It was only able to start and run once i started the vehicle. Test was done on LOW setting.

All standard wiring and plugs as mentioned above.

Maybe i must just take it to Snomaster and let them run it on their own setup as proof that the problem is our wiring and connections / plugs?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pieter C For This Useful Post:

I had the same issue. I have 2013 Conquer Conquest so the fridge is situated at the back which entails that there is a 3m cable running from the battery to the socket where the fridge plugs in.

The voltage on fridge would show 12,7V -13,3V. Once the compressor kicks in the voltage would drop to below 10V and it stops running.

After investigations I found that the cables running from the battery to the back was 2 sqm mm cables. I consulted my father in-law who is a engineer and he advised me that I should consider putting in a thicker cable. So, I pulled the cables out and replaced it with a 10 sqm mm cables.

Problem solved. Test the fridge and it showed 12,8V on the fridge. The voltage now only drops to 11,5 when the compressor kicks in.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gwbotha81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    You are welcome to your experience - remember batteries don't die, they get killed from miss use and neglect. Culpable homicide come to mind .
    How I wish this was true.

I am glad I found this thread. Same issues. Brand new battery 105Ah gel battery reads 12.8V, SM display reads 11.5V with the compressor on. As soon as the compressor stops, both displays read the same. My intelligent charger in the garage floats the battery at 13.1V. I have the 65l Expedition series. I am trying to test the duration of my battery and therefore first cooled both compartments to -19° with AC. After 6 to 8 hours on DC the one compartment reads -6° and the other one sits at 02°. This can only happen if the compressor does not do its job properly or cycles too short or not at all because of the voltage drop. I use a 2m cable with BH plug. WRND controller. This thread pointed to testing at different places. Will do so now. Otherwise I am very happy with the SM. Please advise if my logic is sound on the raised temps.
    On the 'can: Kumho Road Venture AT 255/70/16, permanent tray system, Burnco front bumper, Ironman lift kit, Hannibal RR, 2x soft solar panels on roof, rear dual battery and self-made electric box, Warn winch (to be installed in bumper still), Android radio and rearview camera. Adding on as the itch continues.
    Nissan X-Trail 2.0 dCi everyday run around
    Bushwakka Shorti go anywhere off road trailer with plenty goodies.

Had similar issue the last trip.

Volt dropped below 12.5 which made the DC to DC charger to disconnect, then it switched on again once it saw the higher voltage again. Thus it was charging only 20% of what it should. Luckily I had a multimeter with me. The NL solenoid under the bonnet was the culprit, installed before I had the DC tot DC charger. So I just bypassed it.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    You are welcome to your experience - remember batteries don't die, they get killed from miss use and neglect. Culpable homicide come to mind .
    Agreed! I just replaced my 105ah after 10 years of use. Proper use and care goes a long way!
    Jeep Grand Cherokke 4.7 V8
    Outback Roof rack
    Draw sytem
    Dual battery with DC-DC
    OME suspension
    Air lift Air suspension - Self installed

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iluvjeep For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4