Booster Cable Amps? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Booster Cable Amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
    The standard way is to publish "duty cycles". Above I gave an extract from specs on welding cables - in there is a table of current vs minutes per hour of use.

My guess for 600 Amp Midas cables they are talking of 1 minute per 15 minutes max. (or even less)
    Unfortunately duty cycles relate to welding, not jump starting. You don't jump start for a hour.

If you did you would need a seriously big battery and a seriously poor starting car to heat a cable to the point that it doesn't work.

Just saying.

It's simple. Get a 16mmsq cable or a 25mmsq cable or a 35mmsq cable.

Really no point in getting into analysis paralysis and calculating you need a 21.35mmsq cable and you cant find one.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Bird Valley Estate Cramond Kzn outside Pietermaritzburg

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Wylie that is a generous and gracious offer. If you wish I can pick up the cable from you and pay you for it, and I will buy clamps and make up cables for forum members.

I have all the correct tools and heat shrinks etc.

No profit in it, just a service to the community.
    Hi
    Very generous of you
    Please put me down for one if you ever make up sets
    Last week 6 year old battery in Ranger died. Could not start with heavy duty Midas cables from wifes Polo
    After 45 mins with 15 amp charger got it going and went straight to battery centre
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    . . . . . battery in Ranger died. Could not start with heavy duty Midas cables from wifes Polo . . . . .
    It is debatable whether the envisaged massive welding cables would have helped in this case.

Work on 9 Amps per sq/mm. If you want to carry 600A that works out to 66 sq/mm or 9mm diameter cables. The clamps will need a bigger contact area than you get from the ones at Midas.

In my opinion, this is massively over-complicating matters. I have and have seen many vehicles being jump started (as have everyone else I am sure), and every time was using the off the shelf cables. And guess what, not once was this not sufficient.
    Is it really worth the effort to have your own one made?
    Unless of course you'll need it for commercial or some other use.
    But then, a 200amp cable won't work for a larger battery, so buy one decently highly rated (600 or 800amp) from a reputable place and you should be good to go.

I have a heavy duty set from Midas. I have had a problem many times trying to start a vehicle with a flat battery.
    The main problem I have encountered is the poor connection between the cable and clamps. I picked this up by measuring the resistance across the connections.
    Bolted connections only work for about the first time then you need to clean the connection again.
    I still need to find out where and how I can have a good connection made.

One thing to bare in mind is that one can get the biggest size cables available but actual contact surface area at the battery terminals will likely be much less.
    Getting 50mm2 cable and having clamps that can barely make contact at the terminals due to clamp design or access constraints at the terminals is a waste of time and effort and storage space.

Most clamps won't translate that 50mm2 into actual contact area at the terminals...
    So getting a smaller cable size is not an issue if it equates to (or maximises) the available contact provided by the clamps area at the terminals.

Looking at my Ranger's terminals and the connections on them (from factory) it is not possible to get any clamp on there with good contact area.
    Last edited by Fagan; 2022/01/17 at 10:16 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fagan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    I have a heavy duty set from Midas. I have had a problem many times trying to start a vehicle with a flat battery.
    The main problem I have encountered is the poor connection between the cable and clamps. I picked this up by measuring the resistance across the connections.
    Bolted connections only work for about the first time then you need to clean the connection again.
    I still need to find out where and how I can have a good connection made.
    I have used plated welding cable terminals with 6mm mild steel bolts and nuts without any issue for many years but recently changed the mild steel to brass bolts and nuts. Zero difference.
    It seems they are made from copper with a nickle or some shiny plating.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

A star washer may solve your problem

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/pro...r-washer-kits/

Yes, put it between the lug and clamp surfaces. The sharp edges bite into the base metals

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonatan For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3