recovery kit advice please

Default recovery kit advice please

hi.

can you guys please help with advice recovery straps/ ropes etc??

what i have now is a.....ahem...."5 ton heavy duty" tow strap from checkers.

after spending some time searching the forum, i can confidently say that i must definitely get a snatch strap and also i must definitely stay away from a snatch strap.

my 4x4 is my daily driver and will be like that for a long time, its an isuzu double cab, stock standard.

im not planning to go to the deapest darkest parts of the world, i just like to do a few trails here in western cape.

i love the idea of getting a decent long strap with some elasticity to dampen the jolt of a pull, but your also at the mercy of the person pulling and his right foot.

then again, someone trying to do a snatch with a normal rope can do loads of damage too.

basically im asking to help me decide on a decent, long tow strap or go for the snatch strap.

or.... is it a good idea to have both, is it worth the money?

Default Re: recovery kit advice please

you would also need so decent recovery points to attach those ropes. From what I can recall the Go Bigs were lacking in the rear wrt recovery points

personally:
    2 Shackles normal rated & soft
    Pull and Snatch and tree trunk protector

Snatch rope is better from what I have read. But again like a gun, if in the wrong hands and safety is not considered then both are dangerous weapons. If you use a Snatch strap or Snatch rope, read up on how to use and procedures pls. Lots of U tube videos of recoveries gone wrong.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Hi Dan
    Go into your local Camp & Climb in the 4x4 section there is everything you will need. They also sell a recovery kit.
    Remember to check the weight of your vehicle and check the rated capacity of the recovery equipment.
    Neil Sauls

2011 Isuzu KB 300LX 4x4 D/C

VW Cross Up

Start with basics like a good spade plus a tire deflate and inflate setup (deflater and compressor) also a tire repair kit.

Rated shackles, snatch strap, tow strap, rated recovery point on the vehicle, bigger vehicle jack (4t+) or HiLift Jack

There are lot of videos on YouTube that covers this diverse subject.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

As said start with the basics, get rated recovery points, get trained, get a good starter kit.

Most 4x4 shops have a very good starter kits, in one bag with almost everything you need.

Once you have that, you can go to the people that make lifting staps and you can get longer lengths any length you need. And rated shackles and very cheap prices.

I have several of these basic kits in many of my 4x4ís.

many second hand shops have unused kits for sale, for cheap
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    As said start with the basics, get rated recovery points, get trained, get a good starter kit.
    Before you buy - GET TRAINED.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fabfender For This Useful Post:

thanks for the comments so far.

im leaning toward the camp and climb starter kit for around R1600

how do i go about getting rated recovery points? does this mean installing aftermarket bumpers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2 View Post
    thanks for the comments so far.

im leaning toward the camp and climb starter kit for around R1600

how do i go about getting rated recovery points? does this mean installing aftermarket bumpers?
    ISUZU D-MAX 2012+ RATED RECOVERY POINTS

R1,395.00

https://www.ironman4x4.co.za/product/isuzu-d-max-2012-rated-recovery-points/

Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2022/01/11 at 03:47 PM.
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Conqueror Courage 2016

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Thing is yes you can get aftermarket bumpers with recovery points on, but how are these bumpers fixed onto the vehicle, if not done properly the bumpers can just get ripped off,
    snatch recovery should be last option the amount of load they can put onto vehicle is tremendous,

one thing lagging is a place that sells good soft shackles and soft shackle pullys and the ones that do sell them the prices are well another story
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Stay away from D-shackles. They might not break but they will definately bent. Then its a mission to remove it. Rather get rated bow shackles. Take note, the bow shackles' pins are much bigger in diameter.
    As @DCPolokwane said, Securetech. Their straps roll up quite small whereas serious snatch ropes are very bulky and perhaps would be rather suitable for a dedicated off road recovery spesialist. Get a snatch strap and a pull strap. You don't have to snatch with a snatch strap but its more flexible.
    Consider adding a bridle to your kit. It split the recovery effort, force to both sides/chassis beams of the vehicle.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Conqueror Courage 2016

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Thing is yes you can get aftermarket bumpers with recovery points on, but how are these bumpers fixed onto the vehicle, if not done properly the bumpers can just get ripped off,
    snatch recovery should be last option the amount of load they can put onto vehicle is tremendous,

one thing lagging is a place that sells good soft shackles and soft shackle pullys and the ones that do sell them the prices are well another story
    I ordered a rope with 2 x soft shackles from these guys.

https://www.ropesforafrica.co.za/pro...caAjvkEALw_wcB

I have not used it other than to pull out a few rose bushes, but it was quite effective as i could run the vehicle up to speed a little and then let the rope yank out the bushes. Soft shackles were pretty handy as well. Not sure I am brave enough to do recovery, but I have one of those pin type tow hitches so am pretty happy to be the yanker, but not too sure about being the yankee. I would probably only use it on a vehicle with someone that knows what they are doing.

I got it mainly in case I needed to yank the boat up the beach a bit but have not needed it for that yet.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

I used to rig masts and towers. Used bow and D shackles. With weights we had to lift I've yet to see any of them bend. My recovery kit includes a tirfor shackles slings and snatch blocks. Never been a place where I couldn't pull myself out in far off places including recovery of our truck trailer.
    If you are capable of bending the likes then I'd stay away from you that can be lethal.

Here is my updated recovery gear - after overlanding for 119`000km from a transafrica to south america.

No, there is no winch anymore on my next generation travel rig. Thats is how it will looks like:

- spade
    - tiny compressor
    - Airjack
    (...)

Article
    https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2022/01/What-4WD-recovery-gear-do-you-need-self-recovery-kit.html

That would have be enough for such trips, at least in the past.

Yes, no ground anchor anymore - probably I have to turn back 1-2 times in the next 10 years. But - it is a very lightweight setup - who helps not "to dig" into those mudholes.

trippin
    Last edited by 4x4tripping; 2022/01/12 at 02:54 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4tripping For This Useful Post: