Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Breedtsnek pass - Info for Softroaders

It's properly rough - not just a cruise.
    If you need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

I noticed too, earlier this year, that a few places close to the top were quite rough.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Cool Re: Breedtsnek pass - Info for Softroaders

Just went up the pass on the 26th November , the pass is most definitely rough , not a gentle drive. Took my cadac and braaied , it was great .

There are some bad sections there and coming down the pass towards the north side , there is one really bad obstacle which was caused by very bad soil erosion, it created a little channel/stream for the water to follow through .

I would not suggest doing this in wet weather , I definitely won't attempt it even in my Pajero sport.

Saying all that , it's a must do , plan on doing another trip up with the family and friends .

Has anyone done this trip in the last month or so? What is the current state?

Its about the same as previous times maybe a bit rougher. I don't think I will attempt it with a softroader unless if it has proper ground clearance.
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WillieJimny For This Useful Post:

What I have noticed over time is that the top section stays the same, but that the bottom sections are getting worse. It seems as if more top soil gets washed away when it rains exposing more rocks.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Did the pass end of Feb this year and was surprised at how bad some of the sections where. The right line will get most soft-roaders up with a bit of planning. It would be one hell of a bumpy ride without low-range and a hard workout for the clutch on manuals.

It is however worth doing as the views are great and its a worthwhile drive to stretch the 4x4 legs again.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA & LCCSA: LC84

Current:
    Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    Previous:
    Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.5 Td5
    Mitsubishi Colt DC 3.0 V6

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

So as to not open a whole new thread for this, seems it's been a year since last post.

It seems conditions of this pass are continuously degrading. I'm wanting to do this pass this weekend (but both directions). I recall driving the pass a couple years ago from the south side in an old manual xtrail, car managed okayish but it just ate it clutch on the way up. Will be doing it in a 2013 automatic xtrail this time round.

Still fairly new to off roading so don't have the world of experience under my belt, so just interested to know what current conditions are like? But I think more importantly, where are these caves that are being mentioned? I've accidentally got my little one interested in finding the cave.
    - 2013 Nissan Xtrail T31 DCi A/T

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

I was there about 2 months ago with a Jimny, I had no issues but it was quite bumpy.

With regards to the cave, Its more like a hole in the hillside i.e., maybe 2m deep, and people have vandalized it and made fire inside.

Its still a nice morning drive, we usually stop at the top and make a brekkie and coffee.

Drove it back to back today, started off South side heading towards Buffelspoort. Stopped off at Buffalo Grill for a quick lunch and headed back the other direction.

Cave really isn't much to write home about bit the little one had an absolute blast with it. Spent some time driving off all the side roads as well amd came across an old abandoned (what looks to be) guest house / lodge. If anyone has any info on this place, the wife has become far to involved with what happened to this place (some pics below for context).

Yeah, a little bumpy (maybe even a little annoyingly so), a couple sections that could trick you up a little, especially in a "soft roader" but still very drivable (all these bits had little side "bypass" routes to get past which we opted not to use to make it at least a little interesting) I did the majority without even engaging 4wd. Eventually opted for it to limit wheel spin which on those rocks is a quick way to earn a puncture.

0/10 would do it in the wife's i10 though.

South to North was about a 2.5 hour trip with all our little exploring bits, North to South took about 20min.

Still overall, a decent pass. Some nice views over the magalies region.
    Last edited by exxey; 2024/05/25 at 11:14 PM.

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240525_112812.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	723016

Apparently that abandoned house belonged to foreingers who got attacked in their house and thereafter went back overseas and then the house got vandalised to the state it is in today.

Just be careful there. There are some homless people currently squatting in there and they will be very interested in your expensive personal belongings.

Have you seen the waterfall and the kloof on the other side of what used to be the garden?
    2010 Isuzu KB250 dteq d/c
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2