Why I totally dislike / disillusioned with Garmin - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Why I totally dislike / disillusioned with Garmin

Lizette, I have sent you the email. Once you have looked at it, and my comments, let's revert back to this post so others can be updated.

I watched Daniek's video. It is great. Thanks Daniek

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTDP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TimTDP View Post
    Lizette, I have sent you the email. Once you have looked at it, and my comments, let's revert back to this post so others can be updated.

I watched Daniek's video. It is great. Thanks Daniek
    Hi Tim,

Nothing received yet but will keep an eye out. I agree, DanieK's post on Basecamp Tips and Tricks, has really good information about using basecamp.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Have resent
    If you don't receive it, please PM me your mobile number and I will WhatsApp it to you. And then delete your number

Have resent
    If you don't receive it, please PM me your mobile number and I will WhatsApp it to you. And then delete your number
    Hi Tim,

Still not received, I've sent you a PM with my cell number, thanks!

Lizette

I share the frustration. I just cannot get Basecamp and the Montana 600 to play nicely together so figured out how to plot a route on the GPS itself.

Traveled December from Hartenbos to Middelpos in the Roggeveld Karoo. Created a route from Hartenbos via Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp, Laingsburg, and Sutherland, to Middelpos. All points were selected from the Cities menu item. Now some of these towns have the town position slightly off the main street one travel on when passing through. If you do not drive over that spot the GPS constantly recalculate and bombard you with u-turns, etc to go back, even if you are already 20km past the town, and when it should be obvious that you are carrying on with your route.

O, and the Montana does not like to sit on the dash in the accessory speaker mount on vehicle power when the sun is up. The lithium battery cannot take a little heat and the charger switches off. Eventually the battery failed as well so I switch to AA alkaline batteries, which it has provision for, to power it. But then when plugged in and getting power via the speaker mount from the lighter socket too, it first drains the batteries, then go on the vehicle power. Now you see it on vehicle power and do not realize AAs are flat. Switch off the vehicle and the lighter socket goes dead. Since the batteries has been drained there is no power to properly shutdown and save tracks.

I get the impression whoever do the design never uses the units in real life.
    Last edited by jab2; 2022/01/10 at 10:24 AM.
    Cobus
    Jimny

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:

So here is my route & track
    Route looks SO much better. And Garmin will recalculate a route, essential when driving through a new town or city, but not a track
    I understand T4A have no control over Garmin, BUT .............

Sometimes modern technology sucks!

Thanks for all the advice
    Hi Grumbles,

If I look at the image you send as well as the GPX file you send to Lizette then I suspect you created the Track by clicking on each waypoint and therefore got a straight line between each point. This would be the expected behaviour if you do this.

But, Basecamp has a handy tool which allows you to Create a Track from a Route. This will give you a Track which precisely follows the route you created in Basecamp. To Create a Track from. route you first finalise your Route. Once happy with the roads it follows then you rightclick on the Route. You will be presented with a menu of options and one of these will be "Create Track from Route". You click this and Basecamp will create the Track and add it to your collection.

Why is this handy? A GPS is designed to take you from A to B in the most effective way. If your settings are set to Fastest Time then the GPS will optimise the route to yield a route which is fast and not short. The GPS cannot guess that you want to take a detour or avoid certain places. You have to guide it in this respect.

You can play around with Avoidances or set it to Shortest Distance but in my experience this is looking for trouble. Basecamp for instance has many more routing profile options than your GPS and there is your first clue to why certain GPS units will yield different results to what you calculate on Basecamp.

My trip planning works as follows:

1. Set waypoints for the place I want to visit - search for these and create a waypoint from the search result. If you just click a point you run the risk of clicking it somewhere off the roads and it will influence your routing results.

2. Create routes between waypoints. I use Fastest Time with no avoidances.

3. inspect Routes. If I am happy with the default then leave as is. Give Route a sensible name: e.g. Day001_Paarl to Springbok. If routes do not follow the way I want to go then add in via points to force it there. Make sure your via points are waypoints in your collection and also give these sensible names, e.g. Day001_View Point over Valley_Lunch

4. Once I am happy with my Routes I create Tracks from them all. The Track assumes the same name as the Route but you can chnage these.

5. Load to GPS. I NEVER load Routes to a GPS. There are too many chances for the GPS to calculate something different to what I planned. I only load my Waypoints and my Tracks.

6. Setup GPS. GPS route calculation set to Fastest Time with no Avoidances. I select my Tracks and make them visible on the map (Show on Map). I also set the colour of these planned tracks to red. This way my recorded tracks are visible in a different colour. ( note Show Tracks on Map only available in Outdoor type units)

7. Navigate. I would have a printed itinerary of my planned routes handy. This is a summary of times and distances for each day. I would set out in the morning and select the destination waypoint. These waypoints will show up under my Favourites since I loaded them and they will be sorted to have the nearest waypoint at the top of the list. If I used Via Points on the day I would first select the via point and let the GPS navigate me there. I now have my planned track in red as a reference and I can inspect the route to see if I am happy with the result. In most cases I would actually just follow the Tracks on screen and not even use routing functionality. But when I want to know how far we are then I will set the route.

8. Explore. If I feel like deviating from my planned routes I will find places on the GPS and calculate routes to these. I can still see my original planned route by looking at the Tracks.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Johan
    What you write makes sense.
    Just 2 things.......
    1. If you go wander off a route, the GPS will guide you back. Not so with a Track
    1. Perhaps Garmin should consider adding the feature: Navigate By Route Only. Then the GPS doesn't try and fing the most effective way but simply follows the your route

Thanks to all for their input and support

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTDP For This Useful Post:

Thanks Johan
    What you write makes sense.
    Just 2 things.......
    1. If you go wander off a route, the GPS will guide you back. Not so with a Track
    1. Perhaps Garmin should consider adding the feature: Navigate By Route Only. Then the GPS doesn't try and fing the most effective way but simply follows the your route

Thanks to all for their input and support
    You are correct that when you have a Track loaded then the GPS will not try to navigate you back to the track. You should think of the track of a line drawn on top of the map, it has no intelligence.

A Route however is actually a collection of Points to which the GPS will find the best route based on the map and settings. If your Route only has the final destination as a point then it will not necessarily route you back to the old route as it will calculate the best new route from where you are to the final destination. If you had via Points then it should recalculate and include these.

If like you suggest they have a feature to navigate you back to the route then the question is at which point of the route? If your goal was to get to the next via point it does not make sense to necessarily go back to the route as it may take longer based on where you are. For this reason I like using the Track as my guidance. I can then calculate a route and see how it behaves in relation to what my original plan was and decide to overrule the GPS by driving straight to where I can join my Track again. This is especially true when you plan a detailed route which needs to include several points of interest. I found this method very useful when doing the river beds in Damaraland as these river trails are slow and will almost always be avoided by the fastest time calculation. We drive slow and it is easy to simply follow the Track line which I crafted back home.

Remember that if you ever end up in an emergency and need to get to a hospital or town then your fastest time calculation is the one to use. It will avoid the slow trails and get you onto better roads as soon as possible. Just watch the distance and your fuel gauge.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    Hi Grumbles,

If I look at the image you send as well as the GPX file you send to Lizette then I suspect you created the Track by clicking on each waypoint and therefore got a straight line between each point. This would be the expected behaviour if you do this.

But, Basecamp has a handy tool which allows you to Create a Track from a Route. This will give you a Track which precisely follows the route you created in Basecamp. To Create a Track from. route you first finalise your Route. Once happy with the roads it follows then you rightclick on the Route. You will be presented with a menu of options and one of these will be "Create Track from Route". You click this and Basecamp will create the Track and add it to your collection.

Why is this handy? A GPS is designed to take you from A to B in the most effective way. If your settings are set to Fastest Time then the GPS will optimise the route to yield a route which is fast and not short. The GPS cannot guess that you want to take a detour or avoid certain places. You have to guide it in this respect.

You can play around with Avoidances or set it to Shortest Distance but in my experience this is looking for trouble. Basecamp for instance has many more routing profile options than your GPS and there is your first clue to why certain GPS units will yield different results to what you calculate on Basecamp.

My trip planning works as follows:

1. Set waypoints for the place I want to visit - search for these and create a waypoint from the search result. If you just click a point you run the risk of clicking it somewhere off the roads and it will influence your routing results.

2. Create routes between waypoints. I use Fastest Time with no avoidances.

3. inspect Routes. If I am happy with the default then leave as is. Give Route a sensible name: e.g. Day001_Paarl to Springbok. If routes do not follow the way I want to go then add in via points to force it there. Make sure your via points are waypoints in your collection and also give these sensible names, e.g. Day001_View Point over Valley_Lunch

4. Once I am happy with my Routes I create Tracks from them all. The Track assumes the same name as the Route but you can chnage these.

5. Load to GPS. I NEVER load Routes to a GPS. There are too many chances for the GPS to calculate something different to what I planned. I only load my Waypoints and my Tracks.

6. Setup GPS. GPS route calculation set to Fastest Time with no Avoidances. I select my Tracks and make them visible on the map (Show on Map). I also set the colour of these planned tracks to red. This way my recorded tracks are visible in a different colour. ( note Show Tracks on Map only available in Outdoor type units)

7. Navigate. I would have a printed itinerary of my planned routes handy. This is a summary of times and distances for each day. I would set out in the morning and select the destination waypoint. These waypoints will show up under my Favourites since I loaded them and they will be sorted to have the nearest waypoint at the top of the list. If I used Via Points on the day I would first select the via point and let the GPS navigate me there. I now have my planned track in red as a reference and I can inspect the route to see if I am happy with the result. In most cases I would actually just follow the Tracks on screen and not even use routing functionality. But when I want to know how far we are then I will set the route.

8. Explore. If I feel like deviating from my planned routes I will find places on the GPS and calculate routes to these. I can still see my original planned route by looking at the Tracks.
    You mean TimDP?

But thanks anyway, it is some good info.

Like I have mentioned before, when I load a route to my Drivesmart 52 "Street Navigator" it follows the route and guides me exactly as I planned it. Not so much on the Montana 600 I used to have.

Cheers,

Grumbles
    2021 Hilux Raider 2.8 GD-6 4x4 D/C Auto "Luxy"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is healthier than Crystal Meth!

Firstly, thanks very much to user “Grumbles” for his assistance and guidance. He kindly provided the GPX file for the route I want to drive, and subsequent support.

So I loaded Grumbles GPX file into Basecamp, and then uploaded onto my Garmin 276Cx
    And off I went on my road trip!

Except that the 276 kept my on the N2. I knew the beginning of the route, and would drive in that direction, but the 276 kept taking me back to the N2. As I could not afford, time wise, to get lost, I stayed on the N2.

So my trip was a disaster!!!!!!

I spoke to Gumbles about this and he advised to me to ensure that:

• Profile settings or routing must be Offroad or 4x4
    • Check under avoidances, makes sure all avoidances (like dirt roads, narrow tracks, everything) has not been ticked.
    • To make sure settings for routing are fastest time both in the 276 and on your own basecamp. Also see on your own Basecamp settings under offroad / 4x4 routing that all avoidances are unticked.

This makes some sense to me. BUT……….

Surely these settings should only apply when I am creating the route, on either 276 or Basecamp?
    In fact, they should only apply when I ask Basecamp or the 276 to automatically create the route.

Once the route is created, and I want to navigate it, the 276 should simply follow the GPX file.

Avoidances should not have anything to do when navigating a route. Avoidance were taken into consideration when CREATING the route.

So I then thought I would take Grumbles route, invert and navigate it on the way home.

In BaseCamp,……..

• I selected Grumbles route
    • Made a copy by clicking Edit, Duplicate. Answered “Yes” to the question “Duplicate Waypoints?”
    • I then double clicked the route on the map, and selected “Invert”
    • And then sent the new route to the 276.

But the route does not appear on the 276

While trying to sort this out on the 276, I accidently came across an “invert” option. I tried this on Grumples route, but the 276 took my back to my original destination!

So again my route was a disaster!!!!!!

So I am seriously unimpressed with Garmin!

I also hate stuff that I don't know

I must agree with OP that Garmin is a pain. They have a plethora of models, each of which lacks some feature which is important to me. I was happy with my Montana 600 for years, but the screen packed up last year, and I bought a Drive 600 for it's large screen feature. This however is not a serious overland model, and apart from it's lack of Tracks, I encountered the same problem as OP: If you strayed from the planned route, the Montana would announce "Off Route. Recalculate?", so I was always in control. The Drive 600 just recalculates whenever it wants to, so a glance at the screen always shows that you are on route!

I decided while on a trip last month that I would ditch the DRIVE 600 and buy something serious, but what? It seems from this thread that the 276Cx has the same problem. I think that the new Overlander forces you to subscribe to some Garmin site in order to download your tracks?

Any advice will be appreciated.

By the way, the advice to navigate to the next Waypoint rather than to your final destination is very good, but you should choose these waypoints with some care. Going up North with some friends last month, we stopped off in Mokala for a couple of days. I entered MOKALA ENTRANCE GATE as my destination for the day, and had a smooth journey. Our friends put in MATSWERE CAMPSITE N0 1, (shortest route) and the garmin routed them via several farm gates and tracks to a locked gate on the reserve boundary. When finally reaching camp they announced that T4A was a lot of rubbish, and they would never use it again!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    <br>
    By the way, the advice to navigate to the next Waypoint rather than to your final destination is very good, but you should choose these waypoints with some care. Going up North with some friends last month, we stopped off in Mokala for a couple of days. I entered MOKALA ENTRANCE GATE as my destination for the day, and had a smooth journey. Our friends put in MATSWERE CAMPSITE N0 1, (shortest route) and the garmin routed them via several farm gates and tracks to a locked gate on the reserve boundary. When finally reaching camp they announced that T4A was a lot of rubbish, and they would never use it again!
    <br>
    <br>
    Hi RodS,<br>
    <br>
    I have just tried to replicate the route on Mapsource, and even with it set to "shortest route" all the routes I created to Motswedi took me back to either the north or south entrance gate first (I attach a screenshot). I cannot see any roads on T4A that leads up to the reserve boundaries so I am wondering if they had the GPS perhaps set to "off road" navigation, which will just show an arrow in the direction they should be travelling. Following "shortest route" should definitely have brought them back to one of the entrance gates.<br>
    <br>
    If you perhaps know where the locked gate is, I will see if I can trace a problem that way.<br>
    <br>
    Thank you and safe travels!<br>
    <br>
    Lizette<br>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Lizette: I apologize for sending you on a wild goose chase and wasting your time. My point was not that there was something wrong with T4A, but that that (not for the first time), I have noticed that people who do not really understand navigation immediately blame T4A when they get lost, instead of searching for where they might have used the map wrongly.

I have also tried unsuccessfully to duplicate the route, but I actually followed the group part of the way up this track, which is visible on Google Earth but not on T4A. It seems to go past Imbala Lodge?

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    Lizette: I apologize for sending you on a wild goose chase and wasting your time. My point was not that there was something wrong with T4A, but that that (not for the first time), I have noticed that people who do not really understand navigation immediately blame T4A when they get lost, instead of searching for where they might have used the map wrongly.

I have also tried unsuccessfully to duplicate the route, but I actually followed the group part of the way up this track, which is visible on Google Earth but not on T4A. It seems to go past Imbala Lodge?
    Hi Rod,

No wild goose chase at all! There is more and more a tendency for farmers to start locking gates that run through their property, to keep unwanted elements out. We try to to ensure that we get as many of those locked gates on our maps, and add a break in the road so one is unable to navigate past this point. This is to keep the farmers and our travellers happy - the farmer does not want unwanted visitors, and the travellers don't want to end up at a locked gate! So when I saw the "locked gate" in your post, I looked to see if I could find a locked gate in this area, and if we have added a break in the road here.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2