Budget 4x4 Choices

Default Budget 4x4 Choices

Good day everyone

I want to start this thread to get some advice on my specific situation. I have done months of research on the various vehicles I am considering buying and have read many threads on this forum discussing the various vehicles. I will summarize what I have and any additional info would be appreciated.
    I am in the market for a second hand 4x4 double cab and my budget is R200 000. The mileage will therefore be around 200 - 250 km and the year models 2007-2011. I am considering the Mazda 3.0 BT-50, Isuzu KB300 dteq and the Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 or 3.2.

I did not consider the 2.5 Isuzu as I like a bit more power, the 2.5 Mazda does not come in 4x4 in double cab. The Triton's 2.5 power output is not bad when compared to the other 2's power output from the 2.5s.

Mazda BT-50:
    Pros:
    - That thing pulls like a train.
    - Have seen a couple with high mileage with no issues.
    - Good looking bakkie
    - The units I have seen sold for less than R200k.
    Cons:
    - Back seat not the greatest, but I am in the front so not really a deal breaker.
    - Rare to find this model in 4x4 so the options are very limited.
    - Most units I have seen are sold without a canopy.
    - The bakkie has quite a lot of body roll when turning and the the gear changes are not the smoothest I have seen.

Isuzu KB300:
    Pros:
    - Known for great reliability.
    - Good resale value.
    - Several options I have seen has canopies on.
    - Feels like a very solid choice (if that makes sense )

Cons:
    - They are the most expensive bakkie on my list and finding one for R200k will most likely be one with upwards of 250k km.
    - Has a cambelt and not a chain (if I remember correctly)

Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 or 2.5:
    Pros:
    - Value for money wise the best option.
    - Known reliability.
    - I like the layout inside and the seats are good quality and are comfortable.
    - Chain on 3.2

Cons:
    - Parts can be expensive when compared to the other 2 options (or so I hear).
    - 2.5 lagging a bit in power when compared to the other options.
    - Cambelt on 2.5

General:
    I am currently looking at a 2009 2.5 Triton 4x4 with only 158 000km on the clock for R200k, but it is the very basic model (at least it has the super select) with no extras. I would like to do a 4x4 trail every 3 months and tow a caravan every now and then. Looking to do around 5000km a year with it. I would prefer the 3.2 if I had to go for a Triton, but doing a chip or software remap on the 2.5 is also an option. The 2.5 is the only option I have taken for a test drive. The plan is to test drive all the options, but the low mileage 2.5 that is available now might not come around again. I have not made my mind up between the various options. If there are any other considerations I would like to know what else I should look out for or some information I can use to narrow down my search. Thanks

Default Re: Budget 4x4 Choices

All those options are good.

My biased opinion is triton 3.2
    Youtube
    Owned:
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    Sold:2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build, 1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build, 1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:

The isuzu 300 or the triton 3.2 especially for towing.Keep in mind they will be thirstier than the other options but i think more reliable and can also be tuned a bit for beter performance/consumption slightly.

That 2.5 4x4 is overpriced . . .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

I have 2 friends with 3.0 BT50's (both 4x2), 1 used for daily commute and 1 as a work bakkie carrying electric and plumbing goods, both have been pretty darn reliable.

I looked for a 4x4 double cab for over a year when I found my current GV, for under 200k most will be thrashed, so good luck! Personally I would say Isuzu, Triton mechanically is good but I hate the way the arse looks like a dog dragging its butt, KB reliability is top notch and I like a good sound system and its easier to fit a double din radio in the KB. Facelift KB in my opinion best looking of the 3.
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MarshallGTi For This Useful Post:

I don't think you should fuss too much about a couple of R1000 this way or that way when it comes to service cost of a vehicle.

When buying second hand, and in some cases even new, there may be issues that come up not considered part of a general maintenance plan or routine.

Buy the vehicle you feel most comfortable driving. Check the service history! Some vehicles are known to have reliability issues and you can avoid them, but one can not always account for the odd unfortunate event, even when purchasing the most reliable 4x4. Call it a Toyota if you want.

A solid service history check on the vehicle will probably be worth more than a brand name when looking at a high km vehicle (my opinion).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bloudraad For This Useful Post:

I would go for the isuzu.

But, if you dont mind the look of the triton, and wont mind your mates giving you a hard time about it, get the 3.2 then.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Isuzu or the BT50

Check the service agents or reliable indies in your area. That might influence your buy too.
    Last edited by bloudraad; 2022/01/06 at 02:25 PM.

Triton 3.2 , the 4M41 is bulletproof if looked after and scheduled maintenance is done. Easily 600k+ Km motor and obviously Mitsubishi Reliability and ruggedness !!

I lersonally have driven and worked a triton 2.5 double cab and yes when towing may nkt be the fastest but I really like the super select function, especially in a bakkie with no load and wet weather. The 3.2 has only got easy select.
    The triton 2,5 can pull the heavy loads and will do the job but may be a bit slower on hills but should be better on fuel. The 2.5 triton when mapped properly will perform very well and you will enjoy it.
    The triton in that Era has a steering column rattle problem, both the 3.2 and 2.5. Whole steering column has to be changed otherwise live with the rattle is what I have heard. The electric rear window to load bin is awesome as can open and close from driver seat.

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

Wink Re: Budget 4x4 Choices

I cannot comment on the Isuzu or Mazda from experience but I have a stock standard 2007 Triton 3.2D manual, 170000 kms, been driving it since 2007. I have towed a loaded Jurgens Penta caravan on many occasions at 120kms, taken it to some seriously rough terrain for a bit of 4x4 fun and once or twice loaded 500+ bricks on it. It is not perfect, I can confirm that the steering column rattles but if you hold the wheel with your left hand it stops The curved load bin, well you get used to the it and in my opinion it is the reason that when you park somewhere there is a 99% chance you will find your Triton in the same spot when you return The 3.2D has very little turbo lag and a timing chain that is only due for replacement at 300000 kms. It is a solid vehicle, if I had to buy a budget 4X4, it would be my choice again.
    Happy hunting...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MajorPayne For This Useful Post: