I drive a toyota hilux. So what?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default I drive a toyota hilux. So what?

The experience of the mighty Hilux

I DRIVE A TOYOTA HILUX. SO WHAT?
    (*Long Thought*)

I have followed a few threads asking related questions about the Toyota Hilux and its drivers.
    Who do we think we are?
    Where do we rush to? And do we believe our utility vehicles are the best on the road? No one has conclusively addressed this, and so I will try.

We do NOT drive a utility vehicle. We drive an experience.
    There are very few vehicles on the market that have achieved the perfect balance between practicality and performance. It is a very versatile vehicle, reliable, and fun.
    What I mean is that you can go to your local pub, nightclub, golf/tennis/squash/chess club, farm, plot, work, church, funeral, village or even a safari without thinking about how you are going to get there.
    Regardless imagine all the different memories and emotions you create from all those areas of your life infused into one vehicle?
    It is a vehicle that becomes a part of your family and one that you fall in love with dearly. That is the Toyota Hilux experience.

Unlike most people, limitations like road, terrain, weather conditions, or time of day do not affect us. That is why we always appear to be in a hurry.
    The truth is that we are not in a hurry. That is the pace at which the world works. The rest of you are just slow.
    Our possibilities are infinite, which challenges us to achieve much more in one day than the average driver, using an average car. For example, most of you slow down to navigate potholes and other bumps on the road that we do not waste time on. Time is money, and most of you spend it on the road. I mean, give me a caution on the road that might require I use my four-wheel-drive option; otherwise, I will not waste my time watching you save your oil sump.
    Drivers of a Toyota Hilux are the custodians of history. For example. you cannot tell the Zambian, Kenyan,Botswana or Afghanistan story without the Toyota Hilux in it. The vehicle has built many a nation.
    In that regard, we drive it with pride because we add to the longevity of a legacy. The Hilux is undoubtedly a Legend.

If you want to argue with that, please show me a Subaru Impreza, Audi, Mercedes Benz, or BMW that worked on the Kariba Dam project.
    Kariba Dam was the biggest human-made lake in Africa at that time, so it must say something when the most predominant vehicle on the Kazungula Bridge Project or any other notable construction site today is STILL a Toyota Hilux.
    I even have a higher tolerance for Mitsubishi Colt, Isuzu KB, and the Ford Ranger. Still, none of them have featured as consistently as the Toyota Hilux has in the different facets of certain economies
    A Toyota Hilux is a vehicle you can hand down to your children and grandchildren. The Toyota Hilux depreciates very slowly and we know in current circumstances, its seems to be appreciating beyond market related values.
    It cannot compare to a BMW or Mercedes Benz that theoretically loses 50% of its value when it leaves the showroom. The cost of a sensor on some of these vehicles you opt to drive is a very basic service on a Toyota Hilux.
    We rarely experience the problems common on European or American cars in Zambia adn other countries whose dashboards light up like Christmas trees, but I digress.
    My point is that it is a no-brainer what kind of value you get by owning a Toyota Hilux.

I do not work for Toyota ,and I have not deliberately delved into the Toyota Hilux specifications.
    I learned how to drive at the tender young age of 8. I grew up on a farm in Sitegi in Swaziland in which anything you needed was a few kilometers away.
    Driving was necessary, and that is why I first experienced a Toyota Hilux owned by my grandfather, so my relationship with the Hilux spans many years and I have owned 4 and still do.
    Last edited by rechardt; 2021/12/08 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
    RechardT

Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C Auto- Nicknamed Rocky 3.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I drive a toyota hilux. So what?

But... Rechard... There is this thing called Super Select[n]. You don't know what you're missing...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5
    -------------------------------
    Rainier Vermaak: And in Ian we have a resident cacafuego...

I also drive a Hilux. I like it.

Was a Landy driver for 30 years and I would not turn up my nose to a new 110. (under service and warrantee)

We now only have Toyotas on the farm......my son never bonded as I did with Landrovers.

I learned to drive in a Toyopet. 1 tonner with no suspension at all. Column shift.
    Last edited by pwgg; 2021/12/08 at 11:13 AM.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    But... Rechard... There is this thing called Super Select[n]. You don't know what you're missing...
    someone already pi$$ed him of today.
    don't push more red buttons.
    Last edited by jadranko; 2021/12/08 at 11:11 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Hilux, Land Cruiser, Prado..... same story, same brand!!!!

Well said Rechardt!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ELU For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: I drive a toyota hilux. So what?

Hi my name is Rechardt and I drive a Toyota Hilux...
    Rechardt after your passionate declaration for your Hilux you must feel a ton lighter now that we all know.
    By the way I also drive a Toyota Hilux.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moxy dunn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by moxy dunn View Post
    Rechardt after your passionate declaration for your Hilux you must feel a ton lighter now that we all know.

Wise choice I may add Sire..
    RechardT

Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C Auto- Nicknamed Rocky 3.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

I don't drive a Hilux but I would not turn one away. I think they are great vehicles
    My speelding: 2012 VW Amarok 2.0 TDI

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeepman85 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by moxy dunn View Post
    So, I am Jade and I drive a Hilux, and I am going to anger a lot of people here...

I have had Pajeros, an Amarok and a LR90, and I can honestly say, I am the least emotionally connected to my Hilux. I love it, its great, it does what it says on the box, and I have done tons of great trips in the hilux, but to me, it just doesnt have any character compared to the other cars, despite all the accessories and work done to it.

The Pajeros were amazing on gravel, the hilux is okay. The Amarok was a wild horse on gravel, and I loved it. but my Hilux, just does what it does, and I really appreciate the reliability, the strength, but its the only car of mine which has never had a name. Its just the bakkie.

I actually feel bad for it, like its my reliable ginger step child who is always there for me, while my other children all had there issues and temperaments.

I really need to love it more.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

Rechardt...I'm sure if you added another paragraph or so you would have succeeded in convincing yourself....

Can't say I'm a fan but they are great vehicles.
    Last edited by gazza1210; 2021/12/08 at 11:41 AM.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

I've never really cared for this whole "toyota vs the world" thing or any form of brand bashing/banter. I could also not care less if Toyota helped build the free world. So what.

I grew up with Mazda's, Fords, Land Rovers, Toyota's and Nissans.

None really stuck with me and I don't have a preference. Currently I drive two Nissans and a Hyundai. The Xtrail I bought for it's practicality and space and the Pathfinder I bought because it's a nice big 7 seater which was in my price range. The Hyundai I use as my runaround because it's light on fuel.

I never blindly advise people to buy Nissan because I am a die hard fan. I will recommend a Xtrial or pathfinder for it's many pro's and what purpose it can fulfill. I will even recommend other brands if I feel it's better than a Xtrail.

I couldn't care less what people think of what I drive.

Edit:

P.S You can spot a die hard Toyota fan from afar. It's when they declare the recovery vehicle has arrived before a 4x4 trip departure.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/12/08 at 11:43 AM.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

I will only ever buy 3 Toyota products.

105 Land Cruiser
    120 Prado V6
    FJ

The rest are just too boring to grace my gate
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

I don't drive a Hilux because I cannot afford one due to the Toyota owners inflating the prices of the 2nd hand ones

And I dont like driving on other peoples asses
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

With the exception of the FJ, every toyota I have ever driven, I found to be just boring. Soulless. Plastic fantastic blah. Sure, reliable no doubt. But boring as elevator music. I just spent a week in a 2006 1HZ DC LandCruiser. What an absolute pleasure it was to drive my 110 tdi again. Both agricultural vehicles, one has class, one does not. To each their own.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rechardt View Post
    The experience of the mighty Hilux

I DRIVE A TOYOTA HILUX. SO WHAT?
    (*Long Thought*)

I have followed a few threads asking related questions about the Toyota Hilux and its drivers.
    Who do we think we are?
    Where do we rush to? And do we believe our utility vehicles are the best on the road? No one has conclusively addressed this, and so I will try.

We do NOT drive a utility vehicle. We drive an experience.
    There are very few vehicles on the market that have achieved the perfect balance between practicality and performance. It is a very versatile vehicle, reliable, and fun.
    What I mean is that you can go to your local pub, nightclub, golf/tennis/squash/chess club, farm, plot, work, church, funeral, village or even a safari without thinking about how you are going to get there.
    Regardless imagine all the different memories and emotions you create from all those areas of your life infused into one vehicle?
    It is a vehicle that becomes a part of your family and one that you fall in love with dearly. That is the Toyota Hilux experience.

Unlike most people, limitations like road, terrain, weather conditions, or time of day do not affect us. That is why we always appear to be in a hurry.
    The truth is that we are not in a hurry. That is the pace at which the world works. The rest of you are just slow.
    Our possibilities are infinite, which challenges us to achieve much more in one day than the average driver, using an average car. For example, most of you slow down to navigate potholes and other bumps on the road that we do not waste time on. Time is money, and most of you spend it on the road. I mean, give me a caution on the road that might require I use my four-wheel-drive option; otherwise, I will not waste my time watching you save your oil sump.
    Drivers of a Toyota Hilux are the custodians of history. For example. you cannot tell the Zambian, Kenyan,Botswana or Afganistan story without the Toyota Hilux in it. The vehicle has built many a nation.
    In that regard, we drive it with pride because we add to the longevity of a legacy. The Hilux is undoubtedly a Legend.

If you want to argue with that, please show me a Subaru Impreza, Audi, Mercedes Benz, or BMW that worked on the Kariba Dam project.
    Kariba Dam was the biggest human-made lake in Africa at that time, so it must say something when the most predominant vehicle on the Kazungula Bridge Project or any other notable construction site today is STILL a Toyota Hilux.
    I even have a higher tolerance for Mitsubishi Colt, Isuzu KB, and the Ford Ranger. Still, none of them have featured as consistently as the Toyota Hilux has in the different facets of certain economies
    A Toyota Hilux is a vehicle you can hand down to your children and grandchildren. The Toyota Hilux depreciates very slowly and we know in current circumstances, its seems to be appreciating beyond market related values.
    It cannot compare to a BMW or Mercedes Benz that theoretically loses 50% of its value when it leaves the showroom. The cost of a sensor on some of these vehicles you opt to drive is a very basic service on a Toyota Hilux. We rarely experience the problems common on European or American cars in Zambia whose dashboards light up like Christmas trees, but I digress. My point is that it is a no-brainer what kind of value you get by owning a Toyota Hilux.

I do not work for Toyota ,and I have not deliberately delved into the Toyota Hilux specifications.
    I learned how to drive at the tender young age of 8. I grew up on a farm in Sitegi in Swaziland in which anything you needed was a few kilometers away.
    Driving was necessary, and that is why I first experienced a Toyota Hilux owned by my grandfather, so my relationship with the Hilux spans many years and I have owned 4 and still do.
    Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that it is ok to spend a huge amount of money on a bakkie, and that now it's ok to drive like a [email protected]@S....
    'Unless you are a pregnancy test,...take your negativity elsewhere.'

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HotWheels For This Useful Post:

Also the favorite of ISIS and Islamic Jihadist across the middle east and Africa.

Why is it that hilux drivers tend to re brand there trusty bakkies as a John Deere ?

Its like sticking a General Electric sticker on my Samsung fridge.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

I drive whatever I can afford.

And why is it ALWAYS a toyota that is going slow in front of my frod?

Attie

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    And why is it ALWAYS a toyota that is going slow in front of my frod?

B e c a u s e y o u a r e b e i n g t o w e d.....

Those that know me, know that I'm Patrol-mad and I'm not a massive Toyota fan. But the vehicle I learnt to 4x4 in was actually an SFA Hilux. And I've got a lot of respect for those old Hiluxes.

The newer Hiluxes - notsomuch. But they are still very good vehicles.

I don't like Prados. I replaced the 4.8 Patrol that my ex-wife wrote off with one. It was definitely a down-grade for her and it was a grudge purchase for me. I sort of like them even less since then.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5
    -------------------------------
    Rainier Vermaak: And in Ian we have a resident cacafuego...

I have driven many other makes and flavours over the years except Toyota. Eventually out of despair I bought a land cruiser. That was 2004. Since then the only other make bought is a Merc for my wife. So far so good, although I may not buy another for her. Will try something else.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/12/08 at 12:31 PM.
    Johan Kriel

35. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast