Unemployment - I can only agree with this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unemployment - I can only agree with this.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...drmMZWXhMkbHMg

I am not pushing any particular political party, but this would be a really good strategy in my opinion.
    Will it happen - with ANC, no - again in my opinion.

Can it happen ?
    Yes, if WE make it happen.

VOTE for ##@@#@ sake and let's change the current disaster into an amazing success story.
    Our country just has so much going for it.
    WE need to make that happen by VOTING and forcing those that we vote for to make the needed changes.
    If we cannot stand together (as is usually the case), then , NO, it will not come to be.

There is a glimmer of hope - let's keep that fire burning.

OK, that's it from me.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Re: Unemployment - I can only agree with this.

Link werk nie, of liewer hy wil my na een of ander site toe vat waar ek my Google profiel nodig het om in te kom.

Kan jy die storie hier pos?

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    Link werk nie, of liewer hy wil my na een of ander site toe vat waar ek my Google profiel nodig het om in te kom.

Kan jy die storie hier pos?

C
    Ongelukig in Engels, ek hoop dat dit is OK.

Quote:
    01 December 2021

Yesterday, Statistics SA released unemployment data for July to September 2021. The results are devastating and tragic. But not unexpected. And not inevitable.

660 000 jobs lost. South Africa’s narrow unemployment rate has hit a record high of 34.9%.

But the broad unemployment rate, which includes those who have given up looking for a job, more accurately depicts the real situation on the ground. It is at a high of 46.6% amongst all ages (15-64) and 77.4% amongst young people (15-24). These numbers show the real level of hopelessness, desperation, suffering, disempowerment, deprivation. The real level to which lives and dreams are being ruined.

Devastating and tragic, yes. Surprising, no. Because our current set of policies – the rules by which our economy is forced to operate – code failure into our economic system.

It doesn’t have to be this way. Here is what we need do to fix this jobs and humanitarian crisis.

Arrest the instigators of the July riots, to prevent and deter any further anarchy, and to reassure investors. The rule of law is essential for economic growth and job creation. This is why I asked him, during parliamentary questions to the President last weeks: “Four and a half months later, with no high profile arrests and no further word on the so-called instigators, can you honestly say to the people of KZN that your government has done its best for them?”

Run an extensive vaccine education campaign and enable widespread access by taking vaccines to where people are - main streets, shopping centres, taxi ranks and so forth. And by taking people to where vaccines are - the City of Cape Town, for example, is currently offering free MyCiTi transport to the CTICC mass vaccination centre.

Make it clear right now that there will be no further lockdown restrictions in the coming months.

Relentlessly root out corruption by firing corrupt public servants, capacitating the NPA, and re-introducing the Scorpions.

Restructure SA’s R2 trillion budget away from managerial salaries and waste and towards service delivery infrastructure and social support to the poor. This will stimulate demand while also providing some immediate relief.

Appoint public servants based solely on their ability to serve the public.

Invest heavily in water, electricity and transport infrastructure.

Enable a reliable, affordable, clean supply of energy by opening the energy market. Allow competent metros and municipalities to generate their own power or buy direct from independent producers.

Enable cheap, safe, reliable public transport by harnessing the power of capable metros and private companies to solve SA’s public transport problems.

Enable cheap data by removing obstacles to digital migration and spectrum auction.

Enable small business creation and success by opening up the labour market. Collective bargaining agreements should only apply to those who sign up to them.

Remove unnecessary red tape and make South Africa an easy place to do business.

Make it easy and attractive for scarce skills and capital to enter and stay in South Africa.

Enable high- and medium-density housing close to economic opportunities.

Scrap investment-killing policies such as EWC, BEE, NHI, the Mining Charter, localization.

Properly train, incentivise and independently evaluate school principals and teachers.

This is how we can code our economy for success. For rapid job-creating growth. We need to tackle each of these challenges, even if it’s hard. This is the kind, compassionate, inclusive way forward.
    Unquote

Hopefully this is OK with TOS ??
    If not then please remove.
    I have not attributed it to any particular party or person but I am sure that many would know.
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2021/12/01 at 02:07 PM. Reason: TOS ?
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...drmMZWXhMkbHMg

I am not pushing any particular political party, but this would be a really good strategy in my opinion.
    Will it happen - with ANC, no - again in my opinion.

Can it happen ?
    Yes, if WE make it happen.

VOTE for ##@@#@ sake and let's change the current disaster into an amazing success story.
    Our country just has so much going for it.
    WE need to make that happen by VOTING and forcing those that we vote for to make the needed changes.
    If we cannot stand together (as is usually the case), then , NO, it will not come to be.

There is a glimmer of hope - let's keep that fire burning.

OK, that's it from me.
    Just opens GMail Peter. Perhaps C&P the story itself
    "In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.” Erwin Schrodinger

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

South Africa’s narrow unemployment rate has hit a record high of 34.9%.
    The figure alone is scary. 15.1% away from half the population not having jobs.
    As they said on the radio, this will only further contribute to crime!

Even bloody zim is doing better!

Quote:
    01 December 2021

Yesterday, Statistics SA released unemployment data for July to September 2021. The results are devastating and tragic. But not unexpected. And not inevitable.

Hi Peter,
    Is it the DA letter that you are trying to share with us?

https://www.da.org.za/2021/12/how-to...he-jobs-crisis

/Edit: I do understand that you have not contributed to any political party as well as that you don't advocate a politcal party.
    I simply copied and paste the article shared in Google Search and it led me to the DA link.

We should realise that with the vast culture of politics here in SA, the only way forward is with coalition government. Same as UK.
    As for when it will happen? No idea....
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2021/12/01 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added some clarification.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:

I know this is in relation to SA (but in Nam we have the same frustrations): Get rid of some the incompetent sobs who are tasked with resolving labour disputes.

I recently appeared in an arbitration hearing where our defense was simple enough for a 3 year old to comprehend. A guy applied for a post, didn't make the cut and filed a labour dispute accordingly.

The defense: The arbitrator lacks jurisdiction to hear the case - no employer-employee relationship came into existence.

I got notified of the case the previous night, so I ate dinner and started preparing heads of argument.

The following day at the arbitration, I argued this preliminary issue for about 30 minutes before I asked for the dismissal of the case.

The arbitrator just glared at me with an emptiness in her eyes, made one note on her notepad and asked to see the complainant's payslip and contract of employment.

I sh1t you not.
    Last edited by Woestyn Willem; 2021/12/01 at 02:48 PM.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Woestyn Willem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Woestyn Willem View Post
    I know this is in relation to SA (but in Nam we have the same frustrations): Get rid of some the incompetent sobs who are tasked with resolving labour disputes.

I recently appeared in an arbitration hearing where our defense was simple enough for a 3 year old to comprehend. A guy applied for a post, didn't make the cut and filed a labour dispute accordingly.

The defense: The arbitrator lacks jurisdiction to hear the case - no employer-employee relationship came into existence.

I got notified of the case the previous night, so I ate dinner and started preparing heads of argument.

The following day at the arbitration, I argued this preliminary issue for about 30 minutes before I asked for the dismissal of the case.

The arbitrator just glared at me with an emptiness in her eyes, made one note on her notepad and asked to see the complainant's payslip and contract of employment.

I sh1t you not.
    So do you think you have a chance of winning this or will you settle out of court...?
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

I sh1t you not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (1).jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	638405

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

It is such a typical political letter, and yes it has some good points. But linking the success of job creation to the arrests of corrupt officials and the instigators of the KZN violence is just silly. Yes they have to be arrested, but we have to solve the problem even if that doesn't happen.

As Willem said above, incompetence in administration is one of the big problems, couple of examples:

• We opened a restaurant last year in December, we are still not allowed to serve drinks because we are still struggling to get our alcohol license approved.
    • We had two guys in the store who stack's the shelves. They were paid as "general Workers". Along comes the labour inspector, and he says no, because they are also responsible for reporting shortages, they are not general workers but Merchandisers!!! So we had to bump up their remuneration with a big lump.
    • As of this year, you can no longer write off your profit in a specific year against accumulated losses. You can set off only up to a maximum of 80% of your profit. So just when you think you are beginning to claw back your year's of losses, the Revenue Service come with their hands out and want a piece of it.

So far we have escaped the BEE nonsense, but I am not sure for how much longer.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    It is such a typical political letter, and yes it has some good points. But linking the success of job creation to the arrests of corrupt officials and the instigators of the KZN violence is just silly. Yes they have to be arrested, but we have to solve the problem even if that doesn't happen.

As Willem said above, incompetence in administration is one of the big problems, couple of examples:

• We opened a restaurant last year in December, we are still not allowed to serve drinks because we are still struggling to get our alcohol license approved.
    • We had two guys in the store who stack's the shelves. They were paid as "general Workers". Along comes the labour inspector, and he says no, because they are also responsible for reporting shortages, they are not general workers but Merchandisers!!! So we had to bump up their remuneration with a big lump.
    • As of this year, you can no longer write off your profit in a specific year against accumulated losses. You can set off only up to a maximum of 80% of your profit. So just when you think you are beginning to claw back your year's of losses, the Revenue Service come with their hands out and want a piece of it.

So far we have escaped the BEE nonsense, but I am not sure for how much longer.

C
    Really ? Bigger picture comes to mind.
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2021/12/01 at 03:12 PM.
    Peter Hutchison

There are some good points there but nothing that will help me as a business owner in real terms employ more staff,not in my industry at least.

There is a saying that makes the world of sense in SA. ( there are millions out there looking for a job that they are scared they actually get).
    Most new employees are great in the beginning stages but once you sign them permanent they quickly abuse the system and get lazy,suddenly sick every week,death in family regularly etc.
    My guys work mostly 4 days a week and that is even too much for some of them.If i give them a day extra they will be sick that week because they know he is gettng sick leave paid so no loss really..If i take that day away he moans he is not getting overtime.
    I want to start a new venture and all that is holding me back is the idea of sitting with more staff issues than i need.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    There are some good points there but nothing that will help me as a business owner in real terms employ more staff,not in my industry at least.

There is a saying that makes the world of sense in SA. ( there are millions out there looking for a job that they are scared they actually get).
    Most new employees are great in the beginning stages but once you sign them permanent they quickly abuse the system and get lazy,suddenly sick every week,death in family regularly etc.
    My guys work mostly 4 days a week and that is even too much for some of them.If i give them a day extra they will be sick that week because they know he is gettng sick leave paid so no loss really..If i take that day away he moans he is not getting overtime.
    I want to start a new venture and all that is holding me back is the idea of sitting with more staff issues than i need.
    THAT is why the legislation around employment NEEDS to change.
    Peter Hutchison

THAT is why the legislation around employment NEEDS to change.
    Not necessarily
    Unfortunately allot of the laws were passed because some employers take advantage of their staff

Things like sick leave being abused can be handled
    The staff member has 30 days that resets every 3 years
    If he starts going over that then you can immediately stop paying (You do not even have to use his normal leave first)
    and you can look at other options to get rid of him if you believe it is being abused

That said things can happen so nailing a employee who is almost never sick and then has something major happen is also wrong in my opinion

Fact is work 10 days per year into the budget (as well as the 15 normal leave days) and if more is used then you can take steps (if over the 30 days)

There is still some employers who do not follow the labor laws and impose ridiculous things on employees
    which is why the laws are there
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

I sh1t you not.
    I'm no expert on this but a long time ago in cubical world I had to hire people. The key was to weed out as many as you could before interview, because from then on it was a juristic mess. Every single candidate had to be asked the same list of questions, their answers needed to be noted in a single format, each answer rated out of a pre-agreed criteria and rating scale. then the answer scores needed to be added up and totaled to decide the candidate to be employed. Zero room for improv, questions that might be prompted by answers etc.

Then if you didn't hire a person you could easily be summoned to the CCMA and asked to present the interview records.

Nett result was promising candidates without some sort of track record got regretted without interview, and no explanation why.

When I was much younger I used to go to interviews just because I could. I got to see what was out there, what employers were offering, how portable my skills were, what I might need to get a step up. No more - and I think it's a shame.

HR practitioners - happy to hear if I am wrong, or was wrong.
    "In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.” Erwin Schrodinger

Now there's an idea.

While 51% of Brits that could vote did so in favour of leaving the EU, only about 25% of the voting population actually voted. If all that could vote did, the UK would not have left, apparently. Most Brits thought that leaving would never happen, so they didn't bother, as most Saffas seem to think voting against the ANC will never have an effect.

Perhaps SA should adopt the Belgian policy of compulsory voting, no matter where you live as a Belgian citizen. You can put a blank ballot in the box, but that 'vote' will then just go to the majority.

Another Monty Pithin quote: Maybe we should just take it in turns to act as executive officers for the week. Me thinks even that will be more effective than the current situation.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/12/01 at 03:58 PM.
    Naes is Sean backwards, and it sounds like 'nice', so I drive a nice Landy.

A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

It can be done.

I was reading up on the history of my home town Vanderbijlpark which is quite impressive.

A model industrial town specifically designed around steel production and engineering, All build in the span of 10 years during the 1940's creating many many job, so many in fact it needed to import skills from abroad and that is how my parents and many other immigrants made it there home in the 80ties and 90ties.

It was the vision of Jan Smuts who brought back Hendrik Van der Bijl from america at the time and tasked him with the project.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    It can be done.

I was reading up on the history of my home town Vanderbijlpark which is quite impressive.

A model industrial town specifically designed around steel production and engineering, All build in the span of 10 years during the 1940's creating many many job, so many in fact it needed to import skills from abroad and that is how my parents and many other immigrants made it there home in the 80ties and 90ties.

It was the vision of Jan Smuts who brought back Hendrik Van der Bijl from america at the time and tasked him with the project.
    The current batch of politicians in charge (ANC) are dumber than sand, and no way in hell would they be able to achieve what was achieved in SA in the 60's, 70's or 80's, even if they had all the money in the world.

They should all be arrested, charged with treason and disposed of. Control-Alt-Delete. Then we can start on the inept and lazy government department workers. Yes there are exceptions, but they will rise to the top anyway.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Veneficus I was not suggesting that all labour legislation be done away with, nor did the quoted text from the article.
    Of course there must be protection against unfair labour practices and unscrupulous employers.
    But the legislation and regulation should be FAIR and make it easier for employers to hire and when justified, fire, employees without endless red tape, quota's, reporting administration etc.
    Just remove the biggest barriers to employment, while keeping vital employee protections in place.
    Yes ?
    Peter Hutchison

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Veneficus I was not suggesting that all labour legislation be done away with, nor did the quoted text from the article.
    Of course there must be protection against unfair labour practices and unscrupulous employers.
    But the legislation and regulation should be FAIR and make it easier for employers to hire and when justified, fire, employees without endless red tape, quota's, reporting administration etc.
    Just remove the biggest barriers to employment, while keeping vital employee protections in place.
    Yes ?
    I agree that our Labor legislation needs to be corrected
    However it will not happen because of the reasons I stated (at least not while we are ruled by parties like ANC or EFF)
    Our Government believes that all employers abuse their staff
    And in some cases it is still true
    Add in that they would immediately lose votes if they changed these

That said we are in same place as laws on using the road where they want to make new laws because so many people are not obeying them
    Which is fundamentally stupid because all that happens is the new laws gets ignored as well
    Properly enforcing the laws is the start
    Then you can look at adjusting them

But useless expecting our current Government to actually do their work
    Only thing they put effort in for is fill their back pockets

I must be honest I really wish there was a few large companies that said enough is enough
    If the people want to strike fine they can do peaceful strike as is their constitutional right
    But immediately all pay for any who strike is cut off (no work no pay)
    And if they want to strike they should inform the unions that as soon as they strike that any increase offer is immediately removed
    Then hire large amount of security that can go and collect and protect workers who do not want to strike and take them to work and home afterwards

If they are attacked immediately get those people arrested and lay charges
    And immediately suspend those who did it and start the official dismissal procedures while laying criminal charges

But all the companies are scared so this does not happen
    They bow to the unions
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2021/12/02 at 08:57 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Veneficus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast