Has Toyota lost their marbles!??




Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    791
    Thanked: 259

    Default Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Are these prices they come up with these days just shear arrogance what is the actual book value for these vehicles I think we are looking at 50-100k less than what they are advertised for.

    Don't get me wrong I am a Toyota fan and I think they are great vehicles for their purpose, but for me for what they are offering in terms of spec compared to other vehicles Ford Ranger, Amarok, Isuzu and Navara they are not much better and in some cases their rivals offer much more.

    The interior is rather dated and has that awful school clock on the dash, they come up with a minor exterior facelift and the price goes up 20%.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A1ex For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    791
    Thanked: 259

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Here is my case and point compare these vehicles and you get what point I'm trying to make.

    2021 Hilux. 18 600k on clock. ODO

    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...41012778802909

    2021 Isuzu D-max Arctic 13 000km ODO

    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...21011036930809

    2021 Isuzu D-max 2200km ODO

    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...31011044840909
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    S-West/Stellenbosch
    Age
    48
    Posts
    563
    Thanked: 104

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Just to clarify, Toyota is to blame for the perceived value of their secondhand products sold by 3rd parties?

  5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Serious? For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,573
    Thanked: 33552

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Are these prices they come up with these days just shear arrogance what is the actual book value for these vehicles I think we are looking at 50-100k less than what they are advertised for.

    Don't get me wrong I am a Toyota fan and I think they are great vehicles for their purpose, but for me for what they are offering in terms of spec compared to other vehicles Ford Ranger, Amarok, Isuzu and Navara they are not much better and in some cases their rivals offer much more.

    The interior is rather dated and has that awful school clock on the dash, they come up with a minor exterior facelift and the price goes up 20%.
    Bentleys are engineered to outlast their owners, a number of successive ones.

    From my own observations and from impressions gathered from this here forum, Toyotas could possibly do the same. Luxury and cosmetics aside, compared to a Bentley, this Value Proposition from Toyota is cheap at the price.

    (I can't believe I actually typed that)

    The only issue I have is, will it be purloined before I kick the bucket, therefore negating the opportunity to leave it to someone in my will
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,414
    Thanked: 1459

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Supply and demand, willing buyers.......there is a two year old Jiminy at my local Toyota dealer selling for R400k!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,883
    Thanked: 1666

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    I dont think its only toyota.
    Saw a pajero swb selling for R848k..List price at mitsu is 780k before discount

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanked: 2979

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Supply and demand, willing buyers.......there is a two year old Jiminy at my local Toyota dealer selling for R400k!!
    In the Jimny's case, not willing buyer but gullible buyer. On AutoTrader there are many second hand Jimnys also selling for more than the price of brand new vehicles, even though there is quite a bit of stock around countrywide - and many are prepared to deliver a few 100km away at no extra cost.
    Mike Lauterbach

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,778
    Thanked: 2646

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    In SA, you would do better investing in an old toyouta, than gold in the long run

    https://www.cars.co.za/mobile/for-sa...bBONXLSFgBvOpM
    Last edited by WAJ; 2021/11/30 at 10:41 AM.
    Willem


    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)


  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    31
    Posts
    637
    Thanked: 3017

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Based on the fact that the models are not sitting around on show room floors the question should perhaps be whether Toyota buyers have lost their marbles?



    I can answer this if you like

  17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,951
    Thanked: 6778

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Im going to be honest here. Toyota buyers did it to themselves.
    Willie Knoetze

    2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

  19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,606
    Thanked: 2949

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    phokkit - 800k is eye watering for any bakkie.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    95
    Thanked: 102

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    I offer myself up to crucifixion by saying this, but qualify it as being my opinion only.

    I recently let my 2017 Ranger 2.2 XLS DC 4x4 go in exchange for a 2021 Hilux 2.4 RAI DC 4x4.

    Noticeably less features, and definitely a less refined drive.

    That said, and I totally accept I may be a unwitting victim of reliability propoganda, but I do feel much more comfortable with itís longer term prospects.

    Yes the dash is plastic and the airflow is manual, but it feels like it will still be working for a long long time.

    I paid for that feeling not the features and despite initial misgivings, I must say I am really happy with the choice.

  23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Blessed For This Useful Post:


  24. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Linyanti, Botswana.
    Age
    43
    Posts
    221
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    In SA, you would do better investing in an old toyouta, than gold in the long run

    https://www.cars.co.za/mobile/for-sa...bBONXLSFgBvOpM
    Not quite a Cressida, but if you have a V8 Cruiser you'll probably be "good as gold" as well. I own a Cruiser and my jaw drops each time I see what they go for secondhand...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Companion

    I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

  25. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,393
    Thanked: 10301

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Here is my case and point compare these vehicles and you get what point I'm trying to make.

    2021 Hilux. 18 600k on clock. ODO

    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...41012778802909

    2021 Isuzu D-max Arctic 13 000km ODO

    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...21011036930809

    2021 Isuzu D-max 2200km ODO

    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...31011044840909

    I absolutely promise you that Toyota has nothing to do with that price, other than building a vehicle that people want to own...
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    2021 FJ Cruiser and a trailer
    Ex:
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  27. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,393
    Thanked: 10301

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Mmmm...

    I buy a Hilux for R800k

    You buy a Ford for R800k less R100k discount.. = R700k

    In 3 years I sell my Hilux for R730k, and you sell your Ford for R500k..

    Who has spent more money?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    2021 FJ Cruiser and a trailer
    Ex:
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Moreleta Park
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanked: 802

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Second hand Pajero... Just saying
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

    4x4 Action Group GP0114

    What would you do if you knew you could not fail

  30. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,503
    Thanked: 6242

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Mmmm...

    I buy a Hilux for R800k

    You buy a Ford for R800k less R100k discount.. = R700k

    In 3 years I sell my Hilux for R730k, and you sell your Ford for R500k..

    Who has spent more money?
    That FJ is slowly starting to scramble your brains!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  31. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,393
    Thanked: 10301

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    That FJ is slowly starting to scramble your brains!
    Maybe... But the point is valid. Is Toyota so expensive over the three year period, if your return is taken into consideration?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    2021 FJ Cruiser and a trailer
    Ex:
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  33. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,503
    Thanked: 6242

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Maybe... But the point is valid. Is Toyota so expensive over the three year period, if your return is taken into consideration?
    I don't even try to argue the point. The anti Toyota brigade loose their marbles and come up with all sorts of insults and arguments.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  35. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oasis
    Posts
    1,846
    Thanked: 9750

    Default Re: Has Toyota lost their marbles!??

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I don't even try to argue the point. The anti Toyota brigade loose their marbles and come up with all sorts of insults and arguments.
    Challenge accepted
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •