2021 Hilux 4x4 suspension upgrade

Default 2021 Hilux 4x4 suspension upgrade

Good day

I had the great honour to purchase a 2021 Toyota Hilux 2.8 Raider 4x4 in May 2021. The vehicle is excellent. I have not really driven it hard off-road but I plan to in the coming years.

I want to upgrade the suspension. My goal was to fit 285/70/17 tyres but this is not the main purpose for wanting to upgrade. A safer vehicle with increased ground clearance is first and foremost.

I went through a previous thread (https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...x-Revo-4x4-d-c) that indicated Fox 2.0 is the best. I have also been proposed Bilstein and Tough Dog by trustworthy sources. I am happy with the current leaf springs of the Toyota and I do not plan on adding excessive weight in the back at this stage.

I plan to install a front bumper, rear bumper and winch in the far future and will change the front coils when this becomes necessary. I will also re-evaluate the leaf spring setup and whether extended shackles are required when I start adding weight to the rear.

I would appreciate some unbiased assistance to get the correct solution (even if it is a mixed setup) and would appreciate the contact details of someone who can assist me in the Pretoria, Centurion, East Rand area. I understand that everyone has a brand that they prefer but I am trying to get to the best solution for my specific case and requirements.

Default Re: 2021 Hilux 4x4 suspension upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by will_and_lux View Post
    Good day

I had the great honour to purchase a 2021 Toyota Hilux 2.8 Raider 4x4 in May 2021. The vehicle is excellent. I have not really driven it hard off-road but I plan to in the coming years.

I want to upgrade the suspension. My goal was to fit 285/70/17 tyres but this is not the main purpose for wanting to upgrade. A safer vehicle with increased ground clearance is first and foremost.

I went through a previous thread (https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...x-Revo-4x4-d-c) that indicated Fox 2.0 is the best. I have also been proposed Bilstein and Tough Dog by trustworthy sources. I am happy with the current leaf springs of the Toyota and I do not plan on adding excessive weight in the back at this stage.

I plan to install a front bumper, rear bumper and winch in the far future and will change the front coils when this becomes necessary. I will also re-evaluate the leaf spring setup and whether extended shackles are required when I start adding weight to the rear.

I would appreciate some unbiased assistance to get the correct solution (even if it is a mixed setup) and would appreciate the contact details of someone who can assist me in the Pretoria, Centurion, East Rand area. I understand that everyone has a brand that they prefer but I am trying to get to the best solution for my specific case and requirements.
    First you add the xtra weight then you do the suspension upgrade not the other way around (If you want it done right)
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    First you add the xtra weight then you do the suspension upgrade not the other way around (If you want it done right)
    Thank you for that. I know that is the correct way around but then I have to fork out R80k to get the benefit of improved suspension? How does that make sense. I will rather address the problem when it presents itself and add the possible cost implications to my budget.

I had the FOX 2.0 on my Hilux and must say, i was very impressed. Nice ride and adjustable for load.
    But dont miss look OME either. Fitted it to my LC79 and what a different it made to ride quality and can carry a load with ease. I got a Rhinocab canopy replacement rear bumper with double sparewheel carrier and replacement front bumper and it seems the OME can carry the load with ease. No sagging whatsoever.
    Stefan

2020 Land Cruiser 79 D/C
    2019 BMW X1 M-Sport 2.0D (Swambo platkar)
    2020 Ford Figo Titanium (daily platkar)
    2018 Toyota Hilux V6 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 - sold
    2018 Toyota Etios Sprint - sold
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2016 Volvo V40 D4 Geartronic - sold
    2008 Gypsey Gold Caravan - sold