Advice needed - Xiaomi Redmi 9T 128 GB

Default Advice needed - Xiaomi Redmi 9T 128 GB

We are looking at replacing Erica's aging and over-taxed Samsung tablet with this device.
    She uses it extensively on Facebook (Meta whatever), WhatsApp, Messenger and Telegraph.
    Also for video call with our distantly located children and their offspring.
    Apart from the the camera is not of great matter - two way is just fine.
    Most of her time online is via our home WiFi router to the unlimited fibre router.

She has an existing contract with Vodacom so not interested in any upgrade linked to that - it would be a cash purchase.
    At circa R 3 500 or less it would fit into our budget limitation.

Anyone have experience with this make and device ?
    Any particular good or bad points to consider ?

Advice will be appreciated.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Waking up in the morning is a good start to the day.

[B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]1998 ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT. (Reluctantly SOLD)
    Now ancient 1985 re-modelled interior Jurgens Siesta 4 pop up caravan converted to suit SWAMBO's needs.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Re: Advice needed - Xiaomi Redmi 9T 128 GB

I had a Xiaomi Note 7 previously (64GB) and to be honest, you will NOT find a better value for money device.

I sadly replaced it with a stupid saamsing A31 (128GB) and I must say that the Xiaomi was better in all respects except for storage and battery life.

I should have bought a newer Xiaomi in stead of the irritating saamsing which is much slower in processing and connecting to the www.

Edit to add: The xiaomi had a different UI (user interface) which took a little getting used to, although still an android phone.

My 2cw

Last edited by WAJ; 2021/11/29 at 01:16 PM.
    Attie

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

The Redmi 9T seems to be an exceptional phone for the price. Battery and storage won't be an issue for 4 or more years in my opinion. The 6000mah battery paired with a power efficient processor is a very good combo. Should get at least 1.5 days use on a single charge.

Cannot say I've used Xaiomi before, so as WAJ mentioned, the UI may take some time to get used to. Software updates may not be as often as Samsung (for eg) but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You can't get a better phone for the price, by the looks of it.
    Student, adventurer and teacher

2017 Renault Sandero Stepway

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMightyMuggle For This Useful Post:

@WAJ: What was the storage problem ?
    Reason I ask is that SWAMBO frequently takes screenshots which as far as I know are stored as pictures, so probably take up a lot of storage space.
    She is an "Admin" (Moderator) on a very large Facebook (Meta- whatever) group and uses those to respond to questions, issues, etc.
    I mean really large - Like 2.3 Million subscribers.
    So it is almost a full time (voluntary) job.

So I need to be SURE that this thing is going to cope.
    The biggest problem with the Samsung tablet is memory capacity (storage?) AND it cannot update beyond Android 4.4.4 resulting in many issues with Apps not being able to update either.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Now ancient 1985 re-modelled interior Jurgens Siesta 4 pop up caravan converted to suit SWAMBO's needs.

My partner has one, replacing her iPhone when it died. Great value for money. Seems robust.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

There was no problem, only that the Xiaomi I had, only had 64GB internal storage and the Samsung has 128GB, which in both cases one can expand with an SD card.

The camera on my Xiaomi, (although both has 48MP) was much superior (perhaps its the software/app) to the Samsung.

The Xiaomi had a very very fast fingerprint reader on the back, always working on first touch, as compared to the Samsung that has one in the screen on the front, which often don't read properly and doesn't want to unlock, so I disabled that on the Samsung - also it felt a bit awkward that the sensor is in the front and you need both hands basically - doesnt make ergonomic sense to me, as I grab the phone at the back with my one hand which is perfect location for the fingerprint sensor.

Newer Xiaomi's has bigger batteries, my Note 7 only had a 3000Mah compared to the Samaung A31 which is 4000Mah.
    Last edited by WAJ; 2021/11/29 at 01:36 PM.
    Attie

(workshop whore)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Been using a REDMI NOTE 7 since 2019 and it has been rock solid. Battery Life for me is exceptional. Especially considering my past experience with Samsung where the battery life is OK initially but after 2 years it is basically unpractical as it doesn't survive a normal day. Now, 2 years in, I still get a full day out of the battery.

Cons:
    It gets pre-loaded with a lot of advertising pop-ups, which is irritating. But there are Youtube videos explaining how to get them uninstalled and disabled.

In terms of value-for-money, I think the Redmi Range is hard to beat
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatPlant For This Useful Post:

I had a Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite. BRILLIANT phone.

Battery was good. Camera's were excellent. SoC was fast and handled everything smoothly. It even had a iR blaster which was very nice to operate anything like a TV, radio, aircons ect ect.

Until it fell and the screen broke. Replaced with a Samsung because I could not get a replacement screen in SA. Even from the OFFICIAL Xiaomi distributers in SA!

Value for money, you cannot beat Xiaomi, BUT beware when something breaks, you will not enjoy the same benefit (local support for components) as you do with major brands like Samsung, Apple or Huawei.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

I see the 9T is R3199 on takealot at the moment. I have not compared prices elsewhere though, perhaps could even be cheaper.
    Attie

(workshop whore)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

I have one and its very good, has a brilliant camera and lots of storage and battery really does last long. Pity you just missed it but they had them on special from Miafrica on black friday deal for R2800, got my wife one so now we both have the 9T, her old phone was kaput.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    I had a Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite. BRILLIANT phone.

Battery was good. Camera's were excellent. SoC was fast and handled everything smoothly. It even had a iR blaster which was very nice to operate anything like a TV, radio, aircons ect ect.

Until it fell and the screen broke. Replaced with a Samsung because I could not get a replacement screen in SA. Even from the OFFICIAL Xiaomi distributers in SA!

Value for money, you cannot beat Xiaomi, BUT beware when something breaks, you will not enjoy the same benefit (local support for components) as you do with major brands like Samsung, Apple or Huawei.
    Something I might add on a broken screen topic:
    I mounted a Tempered Glass screen protector on my REDMI NOTE 7.

I went running with a Camelback, phone in the small pocket. For some reason the phone fell out and landed face-first on the rough tarmac. I was dead-sure the screen was lost. Pulling off the Tempered Glass screen protector I was amazed that the screen was still in-tact. Bought a new screen protector and presto, good as new. These phones are actually very robust, in my experience.
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD

Quote Originally Posted by FatPlant View Post

I went running with a Camelback, phone in the small pocket. For some reason the phone fell out and landed face-first on the rough tarmac. I was dead-sure the screen was lost. Pulling off the Tempered Glass screen protector I was amazed that the screen was still in-tact. Bought a new screen protector and presto, good as new. These phones are actually very robust, in my experience.
    Yeah, I immediately also put on a glass screen protector on my NOTE7 and it saved the screen as I dropped in on the driveway once and it fell on its corner, only broke the protector and screen was fine.
    Attie

(workshop whore)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

We have 3 Xiaomi phones at home. All three in daily use. The latest is a 9T for the wife.

Highly recommended. Not a single problem with any of them.
    Kobus

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FatPlant View Post

Mine did have a screen protector on.

But it all depends on how it falls and where the impact is on the screen.

But this is straying OT.

Very good phones, I still miss using mine. Was really a very nice phone. Tried importing a screen from Aliexpress. What a nightmare on two occasions. Hence I went back to my trusty Samsung.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

The wife and I each had a Redmi Note 2 back in the day, the 32GB of storage became bit cramped and we replaced them with the Redmi Note 4 64GB. When these got a little slow from old age we replaced them with the Redmi Note 8 (late 2019). We're considering newer phones now so we can hand these down to the kids and the Redmi 9T 128GB is pretty much the top candidate.

Replaced my iPhone with a Note 9, very happy. Dead easy to connect to a PC and back up photos and screen shots as well. At R3,199, bargain as well.
    "In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period. Erwin Schrodinger

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for this !!
    On order from Takealot at R 3 199
    Peter Hutchison

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post: