Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    I took delivery of our Jimny today, and drove a Gen4 for the first time when I drove the salesman, who delivered it to me, back to the airport.

    The finishing is definitely very good and it feels like a solid vehicle. Plenty of space up front, if you have no passengers in the back.

    The auto is surprisingly smooth, and does not scream at cruising speed - for some reason I thought it would rev at 3600rpm at 100km/hr, but revs are just at 3000rpm - still a lot higher than the FL2 which sits at about 1800rpm @ 100km/hr. It is certainly willing to overtake between 80 and 110km/hr, even though it drops a gear and revs over 4000rpm. Conversations are easy at 100km/hr, even with road, engine and wind noise. which I expected to be much higher.

    I experienced some wind buffeting with moderate winds. This was also much less than expected. It twitched in rutted tar sections, which was expected due to the narrower wheel width. The wheel spacers will sort this. The double din multimedia unit is very good, even the sound was better than anticipated with the pair of stock speakers.

    This is really a fun vehicle to drive. I took it to our dam to check water levels. Spinning it on a straight on the dirt roads in 4x2 is very easy The colour (kinetic yellow) plus driving with wheels did not result in bullying today, in fact, I convinced one Polo, trying to duck in front of me from behind a truck, from ducking back behind the truck and staying put there.

    It handles speed humps very well with the front suspension. The back gets a bit airborne with a bit of extra speed, but I guess this will be better if there is some luggage in the back.

    I have ordered some extras, like the Des Sol 50mm lift kit and wheel spacers, mud flaps, rubber mats etc

    the seat belt warning tome needs to be disabled. Driving it from the garage to the wash area without a seat belt prompts an annoying warning bing bing sound. Also, does anyone know how to play the radio without the key insterted? With the key inserted and no seatbelt engaged, a warning bing bing also ensures.
    Mike Lauterbach

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    33
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 222

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I took delivery of our Jimny today, and drove a Gen4 for the first time when I drove the salesman, who delivered it to me, back to the airport.

    The finishing is definitely very good and it feels like a solid vehicle. Plenty of space up front, if you have no passengers in the back.

    The auto is surprisingly smooth, and does not scream at cruising speed - for some reason I thought it would rev at 3600rpm at 100km/hr, but revs are just at 3000rpm - still a lot higher than the FL2 which sits at about 1800rpm @ 100km/hr. It is certainly willing to overtake between 80 and 110km/hr, even though it drops a gear and revs over 4000rpm. Conversations are easy at 100km/hr, even with road, engine and wind noise. which I expected to be much higher.

    I experienced some wind buffeting with moderate winds. This was also much less than expected. It twitched in rutted tar sections, which was expected due to the narrower wheel width. The wheel spacers will sort this. The double din multimedia unit is very good, even the sound was better than anticipated with the pair of stock speakers.

    This is really a fun vehicle to drive. I took it to our dam to check water levels. Spinning it on a straight on the dirt roads in 4x2 is very easy The colour (kinetic yellow) plus driving with wheels did not result in bullying today, in fact, I convinced one Polo, trying to duck in front of me from behind a truck, from ducking back behind the truck and staying put there.

    It handles speed humps very well with the front suspension. The back gets a bit airborne with a bit of extra speed, but I guess this will be better if there is some luggage in the back.

    I have ordered some extras, like the Des Sol 50mm lift kit and wheel spacers, mud flaps, rubber mats etc

    the seat belt warning tome needs to be disabled. Driving it from the garage to the wash area without a seat belt prompts an annoying warning bing bing sound. Also, does anyone know how to play the radio without the key insterted? With the key inserted and no seatbelt engaged, a warning bing bing also ensures.
    Congrats Mike! Enjoy

    Former Game Ranger / Safari Guide
    2017 Jimny aka "Rateltjie"

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bloubergrant
    Age
    56
    Posts
    626
    Thanked: 206

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Thank you Mike, I was brought up with "First impressions are lasting impressions"
    Just love the kinetic yellow, have have to peel my eyes away when I spot them on the road, enjoy!
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    I checked this morning, and the annoying buzzer I had when I put the key into the ignition was the open door warning. The radio works fine on ACC. From the bigjimny.com forum, the door buzzer can be unplugged, something I will do shortly:

    "Pull this 2 pin plug with a pink and a black wire (socket arrowed) and the key in ignition door ajar chime is gone. Door ajar display on the dash all works fine."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door Buzzer.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	637734

    Also, you can pull the plug under the drivers seat to silence the seat belt warning. I must just find someone with thin enough fingers to get to the locking tab on the plug, which is up against the mounting plate.
    Mike Lauterbach

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    33
    Posts
    61
    Thanked: 222

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I checked this morning, and the annoying buzzer I had when I put the key into the ignition was the open door warning. The radio works fine on ACC. From the bigjimny.com forum, the door buzzer can be unplugged, something I will do shortly:

    "Pull this 2 pin plug with a pink and a black wire (socket arrowed) and the key in ignition door ajar chime is gone. Door ajar display on the dash all works fine."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door Buzzer.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	637734

    Also, you can pull the plug under the drivers seat to silence the seat belt warning. I must just find someone with thin enough fingers to get to the locking tab on the plug, which is up against the mounting plate.
    Mike the only advice I'd give is to be a bit cautious of doing things like this, dealerships will find any excuse to void a warranty (I'm presuming you have one)

    Former Game Ranger / Safari Guide
    2017 Jimny aka "Rateltjie"

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ SA View Post
    Mike the only advice I'd give is to be a bit cautious of doing things like this, dealerships will find any excuse to void a warranty (I'm presuming you have one)
    It will be easy enough to reconnect when it goes in for a service or repair.
    Mike Lauterbach

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    34
    Posts
    568
    Thanked: 923

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I took delivery of our Jimny today, and drove a Gen4 for the first time when I drove the salesman, who delivered it to me, back to the airport.

    The finishing is definitely very good and it feels like a solid vehicle. Plenty of space up front, if you have no passengers in the back.

    The auto is surprisingly smooth, and does not scream at cruising speed - for some reason I thought it would rev at 3600rpm at 100km/hr, but revs are just at 3000rpm - still a lot higher than the FL2 which sits at about 1800rpm @ 100km/hr. It is certainly willing to overtake between 80 and 110km/hr, even though it drops a gear and revs over 4000rpm. Conversations are easy at 100km/hr, even with road, engine and wind noise. which I expected to be much higher.

    I experienced some wind buffeting with moderate winds. This was also much less than expected. It twitched in rutted tar sections, which was expected due to the narrower wheel width. The wheel spacers will sort this. The double din multimedia unit is very good, even the sound was better than anticipated with the pair of stock speakers.

    This is really a fun vehicle to drive. I took it to our dam to check water levels. Spinning it on a straight on the dirt roads in 4x2 is very easy The colour (kinetic yellow) plus driving with wheels did not result in bullying today, in fact, I convinced one Polo, trying to duck in front of me from behind a truck, from ducking back behind the truck and staying put there.

    It handles speed humps very well with the front suspension. The back gets a bit airborne with a bit of extra speed, but I guess this will be better if there is some luggage in the back.

    I have ordered some extras, like the Des Sol 50mm lift kit and wheel spacers, mud flaps, rubber mats etc

    the seat belt warning tome needs to be disabled. Driving it from the garage to the wash area without a seat belt prompts an annoying warning bing bing sound. Also, does anyone know how to play the radio without the key insterted? With the key inserted and no seatbelt engaged, a warning bing bing also ensures.
    Photos or it didn't happen.
    Mike

    Out in the bush!

    2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    It's only a matter of minutes to refit the plugs prior to visiting the dealer. Well worth it to retain
    your sanity in my opinion.
    I confess these were the first two mods to my 2021 Jimny followed by the rear seats and seat belts.

    Next is to build a floor. I'm really pleased with my auto version.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G34 For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    44
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 23

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I took delivery of our Jimny today, and drove a Gen4 for the first time when I drove the salesman, who delivered it to me, back to the airport.

    The finishing is definitely very good and it feels like a solid vehicle. Plenty of space up front, if you have no passengers in the back.

    The auto is surprisingly smooth, and does not scream at cruising speed - for some reason I thought it would rev at 3600rpm at 100km/hr, but revs are just at 3000rpm - still a lot higher than the FL2 which sits at about 1800rpm @ 100km/hr. It is certainly willing to overtake between 80 and 110km/hr, even though it drops a gear and revs over 4000rpm. Conversations are easy at 100km/hr, even with road, engine and wind noise. which I expected to be much higher.

    I experienced some wind buffeting with moderate winds. This was also much less than expected. It twitched in rutted tar sections, which was expected due to the narrower wheel width. The wheel spacers will sort this. The double din multimedia unit is very good, even the sound was better than anticipated with the pair of stock speakers.

    This is really a fun vehicle to drive. I took it to our dam to check water levels. Spinning it on a straight on the dirt roads in 4x2 is very easy The colour (kinetic yellow) plus driving with wheels did not result in bullying today, in fact, I convinced one Polo, trying to duck in front of me from behind a truck, from ducking back behind the truck and staying put there.

    It handles speed humps very well with the front suspension. The back gets a bit airborne with a bit of extra speed, but I guess this will be better if there is some luggage in the back.

    I have ordered some extras, like the Des Sol 50mm lift kit and wheel spacers, mud flaps, rubber mats etc

    the seat belt warning tome needs to be disabled. Driving it from the garage to the wash area without a seat belt prompts an annoying warning bing bing sound. Also, does anyone know how to play the radio without the key insterted? With the key inserted and no seatbelt engaged, a warning bing bing also ensures.
    Congratulations and many safe and happy journey's

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Noel Nadasen For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by G34 View Post
    It's only a matter of minutes to refit the plugs prior to visiting the dealer. Well worth it to retain
    your sanity in my opinion.
    I confess these were the first two mods to my 2021 Jimny followed by the rear seats and seat belts.

    Next is to build a floor. I'm really pleased with my auto version.
    How did you get to the plug next to the ignition? Makes me nervous removing panels close to airbags. I do not see any screws holding the bottom surround in place.

    I will also remove the back seats and seat belts. The seats do not fold down 100% flat, and there is a gap between them and the front seats
    Mike Lauterbach

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Photos or it didn't happen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-11-26 08.28.39.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	415.4 KB 
ID:	637745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-11-26 08.28.57.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	370.2 KB 
ID:	637746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-11-26 08.40.56.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	637747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-11-25 15.15.13.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	637748  
    Mike Lauterbach

  18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    34
    Posts
    568
    Thanked: 923

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Mike

    Out in the bush!

    2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

  20. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,876
    Thanked: 6431

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Congrats Mike

    Just check your Jimnys tyre pressures. It makes a big difference in the handling.
    If you open the drivers door there is a sticker with recommended tyre pressures.
    Willie Knoetze

    2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,117
    Thanked: 1197

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Regarding those Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tyres, just take care, they are paper thin. A 10mm screw penetrated my daughter's one rear tyre through the main part of a tread block, just enough to cause a slow puncture. As she use it for gravel travel, I had all five tyres changed to a somewhat more rugged General Grabber At3 215/75R15. Also gives the Jimny just that little more stance. Some people with money to waste fit BFG AT 215/75R15 at about twice the price of the Generals.
    But should you stick to the Dunlops, I have 5 of them with 6000km on them lying around if you need spares :-)
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Regarding those Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tyres, just take care, they are paper thin. A 10mm screw penetrated my daughter's one rear tyre through the main part of a tread block, just enough to cause a slow puncture. As she use it for gravel travel, I had all five tyres changed to a somewhat more rugged General Grabber At3 215/75R15. Also gives the Jimny just that little more stance. Some people with money to waste fit BFG AT 215/75R15 at about twice the price of the Generals.
    But should you stick to the Dunlops, I have 5 of them with 6000km on them lying around if you need spares :-)
    Thanks Mike. I actually just had a look at them now. They resemble Marie Biscuits. With the potholes we have here locally, it will be wise to change them to something stronger - even if you know where the potholes are, you can get caught out, especially when overtaking in wet conditions when they are hard to see.

    I've had two sets of Grabbers on my Disco, and am impressed with them - much better grip on tar that the BFG ATs I had, and they are super quiet. They might not have the same sidewall thickness, but that has not bothered me so far.

    I might just add to your tyre collection
    Mike Lauterbach

  25. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    How did you get to the plug next to the ignition? Makes me nervous removing panels close to airbags. I do not see any screws holding the bottom surround in place.

    I will also remove the back seats and seat belts. The seats do not fold down 100% flat, and there is a gap between them and the front seats
    There's a single screw underneath the cover adjacent to the steering height adjuster. Also release the the height adjuster.
    Apply pressure to both sides of the top section and they will separate from the bottom. The plus is then easy to reach.
    I just fastened the now dangling plug to another section of wiring with a zip ties to keep it tidy. Reassemble.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to G34 For This Useful Post:


  27. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I checked this morning, and the annoying buzzer I had when I put the key into the ignition was the open door warning. The radio works fine on ACC. From the bigjimny.com forum, the door buzzer can be unplugged, something I will do shortly:

    "Pull this 2 pin plug with a pink and a black wire (socket arrowed) and the key in ignition door ajar chime is gone. Door ajar display on the dash all works fine."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door Buzzer.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	637734

    Also, you can pull the plug under the drivers seat to silence the seat belt warning. I must just find someone with thin enough fingers to get to the locking tab on the plug, which is up against the mounting plate.
    just be careful with the seat belt warning as I think it is linked to the airbag system, meaning if you disable it the airbags are disabled too. The key-in-ignition one can safely be removed.

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by G34 View Post
    There's a single screw underneath the cover adjacent to the steering height adjuster. Also release the the height adjuster.
    Apply pressure to both sides of the top section and they will separate from the bottom. The plus is then easy to reach.
    I just fastened the now dangling plug to another section of wiring with a zip ties to keep it tidy. Reassemble.
    Thanks. I will have a look gain as I did not see this screw.

    I did thee the airbag warning sticker on the bottom of the column. I believe that removing the negative terminal from the battery disables the airbag trigger mechanisms, so will do that as a precaution before removing the cover
    Mike Lauterbach

  29. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Timid View Post
    just be careful with the seat belt warning as I think it is linked to the airbag system, meaning if you disable it the airbags are disabled too. The key-in-ignition one can safely be removed.
    This applies to the European models, from what I could gather. They have 2 plugs. One is for the seat airrbag which we do not have.

    The other plug is a 4 in plug. 2 wires are for the seat belt warning, and the other two for the seat heating. Again, our models only have the seat belt warning wires, and nothing for seat warming. I unclipped this two wire 4 pin plug and no more seatbelt warnings.

    I will have a crack at the open door buzzer tomorrow. Hopefully I can locate the screw I missed today
    Mike Lauterbach

  30. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanked: 2846

    Default Re: Jimny Gen4 1st impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by G34 View Post
    There's a single screw underneath the cover adjacent to the steering height adjuster. Also release the the height adjuster.
    Apply pressure to both sides of the top section and they will separate from the bottom. The plus is then easy to reach.
    I just fastened the now dangling plug to another section of wiring with a zip ties to keep it tidy. Reassemble.
    Thanks for that. I found the recessed screw.

    Edit: I found detailed instructions, similar to yours. I was just worried about the airbag warning sticker on the cover, but this was a non issue. It took less that 5 minutes. No more buzzer

    https://www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/i...or_open_buzzer

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buzzer.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	637861
    Last edited by mikeml; 2021/11/27 at 08:42 AM.
    Mike Lauterbach

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •