Default Caramels | Sagte karamels| Treats

CARAMELS

200g 2 cups granulated sugar
    500ml 2 cups heavy cream (I use 40% minimum milk fat)
    1 cup light corn syrup (Glucose)
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    5 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon fleur de sel (Or gray/smoked sea salt if that is your preference)

Line a 9 x 9 cake pan with lightly buttered baking paper and set aside.
    In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and one cup of the heavy cream. Stirring constantly with a silicon spatula or wooden spoon, bring the mixture to a boil. This will take some time. Don't be tempted to turn up the heat, this recipe requires patience.
    Once the mixture boils add the remaining cup of cream in a slow trickle so that you do not cool your caramel mixture and it continues to boil uninterrupted.
    Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to boil for 5-6 minutes without stirring.
    Add butter one tablespoon at a time, stirring after each melts. Clip on your candy thermometer and allow to boil over medium-low heat until the mixture just hits 121C/ 250F (Firm Ball stage) stirring occasionally. This should take about 30-40 minutes, if your temperature is climbing too quickly you might need to reduce heat all the way to low. By the same token, if you're not hitting 250F by 40 minutes you might want to increase the heat a bit.
    Once you've hit the right temperature, quickly remove from heat. Stir in the teaspoon of vanilla and pour into your prepared pan. To prevent any crystallization, don't scrape the pan as you pour, just allow what clings to the pan to remain in it. Set your dish of molten caramel carefully on a wire rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
    Using the baking paper, remove the cool caramel sheet from the pan and cut into pieces using a sharp buttered knife. Lightly press each piece onto a plate sprinkled with fleur de sel and wrap in cellophane, parchment or waxed paper.
    These should keep for roughly a week or two, if wrapped and in an air tight container.
    * Note: While one can double this recipe it requires small adjustments in heat and cooking times, so I don't recommend doubling until one has a comfortable feel for making single batches of this caramel.

*You can add seeds from half a vanilla pod.
    * Or rum.
    * Or walnuts and a bit of cinnamon
    * Or 2 cups of apple juice and mulling spices.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Caramels | Sagte karamels| Treats

I have put some bits and bobs in the technicalities thread regarding caramels for further reading to ensure success.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Thank you!

I don't know if its a good thing that I saw this thread...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Thank you!

Emmie I try and avoid that other thread

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Thank you!

That's how I feel every time I decide to make them.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Stone View Post
    Emmie I try and avoid that other thread
    Do not resist. Come over to the fun side
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''