Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Geyserwise vs Geyserworx

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
    Only this control box. Included in the purchase is a thermometer which is installed in the place of the existing thermostat. Behind the slider is a fuse and isolator switch for the PV string. For setting and managing all timers and temperature set points you use the app.
    Any chance you can remove the cover and take a pic of what's under the hood??

I have installed Geyserworx, one dual system and one single system. works great. only down side which I have fixed is that when the Eskom power goes down, your solar system does not work. you have to connect the main unit to a backup ups or an solar system. the main board works with wifi for you to be able to set the system to your needs.
    My units does not even use Eskom power anymore as the solar power is sufficient to heat the geyser. My one geyser is a 200lt

Quote Originally Posted by Le Sueur Gouws View Post
    I have installed Geyserworx, one dual system and one single system. works great. only down side which I have fixed is that when the Eskom power goes down, your solar system does not work. you have to connect the main unit to a backup ups or an solar system.
    The Geyserwise Dual has a small 12V battery to provide power during outages. I wonder why Geyserworx needs 220V..

Quote Originally Posted by shaneyake View Post
    Yeah, I think it is because rules and regulations can be tricky. We have it streamlined for our clients but if you don't know the process can be challenging.

I would definitely recommend getting a hybrid system like Sunsyk or Victron rather than a separate backup system and grid-tie or a the very least a AC-coupled PV capable battery inverter which unfortunately excludes a lot of the budget inverters.

I quite like the Sunsyk inverters for people as you can run them as a grid-tie without batteries and add batteries at a later stage once you see the savings from the grid-tie. But 20k vs 6k for Solis Grid-Tie.
    If budget/moneywere not an issue, which would you go for Victron or Sunsync, and why?
    1996 Landrover 300Tdi--480000km with redesigned radiator
    2011 Landcruiser 76 Stationwagon--150000km
    ZS6YM
    ZS1YM

Quote Originally Posted by Rooiels View Post
    If budget/moneywere not an issue, which would you go for Victron or Sunsync, and why?
    If money isn't the problem, then I would always choose Victron, the Multiplus-II 48/5000 in particular. It is by far the superior product. Not only is the quality excellent and very reliable. It is also a Low Frequency inverter and so can be overload quite a lot before tripping off. It can really take some abuse. So from a hardware side it is solid.

But where Victron really leaves the competition behind is in the software. The VRM system and GX devices are the best I have come across. They show everything about the system and allow you to change settings but VRM is also has a great UI, something that you would expect from Facebook or Google. Modern and user friendly. If a system is setup correctly, you will never look at the inverters again after they are installed but you will look at the APP or web interface all the time.
    This is something that is hard to explain to buyers but the value added from the VRM system is really high.

The next thing about Victron is there openness, pretty much every communication protocol is open and well documented, they allow full control via ModbusTCP, Dbus, NodeRed and MQTT. This allows you to integrate the PV system into automation and controls systems. This can make things really conveinate at the very least but can also save money by integrating things like Geysers, Pool Pumps, Heat pumps, Air Conditioners, Electric Car chargers for complete energy management. (This is what I do but for commercial sites) Which is way we tend to always use Victron, 180kva limit is annoying so we have been looking into other options, especially High Voltage Battery options but none so far have even close software support or they limit what you can do. Victron is like Inverter won't hurt itself, have fun playing with things.
    Basically all the settings you would want to do energy management are available.

It is possible to talk to a Sunsyk over Modbus RS485 but not well documented and when used you can't use their web interface. Firmware updates and reconfigurations are not even close in simplicity or ease. I can be anywhere in the world and update a Victron system firmware or reprogram the system. Simple, reliable and easy.

I do think Sunsyk's are good value for money, especially if all you are looking for is load shedding protection with the ability to earn a return on your investment but you said money wasn't a problem.

Typical Victron install would be Multiplus-II 48/5000, RS 450/100 MPPT, GX Cerbo.
    Another major advantage for Victron is that is is modular system. What 15kva install 3 inverters, have a 20kw solar array install 2x 450/200 or 4x 450/200. Can be really tailored to yours needs, This is also what bites you if you don't know Victron's equipment well as there are lots of ways to design the same system and sometimes gives them a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneyake View Post
    If money isn't the problem, then I would always choose Victron, the Multiplus-II 48/5000 in particular. It is by far the superior product. Not only is the quality excellent and very reliable. It is also a Low Frequency inverter and so can be overload quite a lot before tripping off. It can really take some abuse. So from a hardware side it is solid.

But where Victron really leaves the competition behind is in the software. The VRM system and GX devices are the best I have come across. They show everything about the system and allow you to change settings but VRM is also has a great UI, something that you would expect from Facebook or Google. Modern and user friendly. If a system is setup correctly, you will never look at the inverters again after they are installed but you will look at the APP or web interface all the time.
    This is something that is hard to explain to buyers but the value added from the VRM system is really high.

The next thing about Victron is there openness, pretty much every communication protocol is open and well documented, they allow full control via ModbusTCP, Dbus, NodeRed and MQTT. This allows you to integrate the PV system into automation and controls systems. This can make things really conveinate at the very least but can also save money by integrating things like Geysers, Pool Pumps, Heat pumps, Air Conditioners, Electric Car chargers for complete energy management. (This is what I do but for commercial sites) Which is way we tend to always use Victron, 180kva limit is annoying so we have been looking into other options, especially High Voltage Battery options but none so far have even close software support or they limit what you can do. Victron is like Inverter won't hurt itself, have fun playing with things.
    Basically all the settings you would want to do energy management are available.

It is possible to talk to a Sunsyk over Modbus RS485 but not well documented and when used you can't use their web interface. Firmware updates and reconfigurations are not even close in simplicity or ease. I can be anywhere in the world and update a Victron system firmware or reprogram the system. Simple, reliable and easy.

I do think Sunsyk's are good value for money, especially if all you are looking for is load shedding protection with the ability to earn a return on your investment but you said money wasn't a problem.

Typical Victron install would be Multiplus-II 48/5000, RS 450/100 MPPT, GX Cerbo.
    Another major advantage for Victron is that is is modular system. What 15kva install 3 inverters, have a 20kw solar array install 2x 450/200 or 4x 450/200. Can be really tailored to yours needs, This is also what bites you if you don't know Victron's equipment well as there are lots of ways to design the same system and sometimes gives them a bad name.
    As a solar installer my 1st choice is Victron, especially the Quattro is a beast of a machine. For the budget sensitive I'll offer Sunsynk/Deye (same diffs). If client can't afford it, I refer them to my competion
    Last edited by HarleyD; 2021/12/03 at 03:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2