Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Geyserwise vs Geyserworx

Was set to go the geyserwise route but then saw the geyserworx option and now I am not sure?
    i like the fact that Geyserworx is app controlled.

Anybody with feedback on the 2 options?
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

Default Re: Geyserwise vs Geyserworx

I had a look at the Geyserworx site and it wasn't easy to check if the principle is the same as Geyserwise's.
    The Geyserwise Dual system has 2 heater elements: a regular 220V one for mains and a 'DC' one for the PV panels.
    This is smart because they don't have to crank the PV volts up to 220V (which has losses)
    The PV panels are connected directly to the 'DC' element (through a MPPT) so it's more efficient.
    Last edited by Richard Mackay; 2021/11/24 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    I had a look at the Geyserworx site and it wasn't easy to check if the principle is the same as Geyserwise's.
    The Geyserwise Dual system has 2 heater elements: a regular 220V one for mains and a 'DC' one for the PV panels.
    This is smart because they don't have to crank the PV volts up to 220V (which has losses)
    The PV panels are connected directly to the 'DC' element (through a MPPT) so it's more efficient.
    It does use a standard element.
    That bootsing/invertering can be done really efficiently. Talking like 1-3% loss. So I wouldn't worry about that.
    Using standard elements is a plus, that it is cheap to replace and less specialized.

But at R10k I would just install a grid-tie system if you can with some cheap timer or controller like SR81.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shaneyake For This Useful Post:

The Elon is another one too look at.?Its from Kwikot.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    The Elon is another one too look at.?Its from Kwikot.
    Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend The Elon as it doesn't have the ability to be programed.
    Basic requirements for any controller should be:
    Minimum Temperature in the Morning
    Minimum Temperature in the Evening
    Maximum Temperature.

Unfortunately the Elon doesn't have any temperature sensing capability, only on/off from the thermostat.
    This doesn't allow it to do multiple temperature setpoints which is the best way to save energy.

I also haven't been able to find a reliable price. Would have a diffrent view if it Sub R2000 so you could install an SR81 to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneyake View Post
    It does use a standard element.
    That bootsing/invertering can be done really efficiently. Talking like 1-3% loss. So I wouldn't worry about that.
    Using standard elements is a plus, that it is cheap to replace and less specialized.

But at R10k I would just install a grid-tie system if you can with some cheap timer or controller like SR81.
    Where do you get the statistic of 1-3%?

Where do you get the statistic of 1-3%?
    This is speculation of course as they don't have a stated efficiency for the product and I haven't been able to tear one down.
    My assumption is that they using a four-switch buck-boost with around 160V-210V DC coming in.
    It is designed for 4 panels in series with Max of 250VDC. You can really optimize your converter circuit because you know what your load is going to be. Most of the time the unit will most likely be current limiting to keep at MPP. So you are able to keep the PV voltages high and not have to actually do any boosting more just current limiting. four-switch buck-boost are around 94-99% efficiency depending on operating conditions and design, it doesn't seem to me like it would be very difficult to design a four-switch buck-boost to operate very efficiently for this use case. Even going full on HF inverter could probably get close to 97+%.

Does anyone have a Geyerworx unit installed?

With the OP being in Centurion go and visit Geyserwise at their offices. They are always helpful and friendly. I have not used it, but they do have a system that can be operated by cellphone. What impressed me is their aftersales service. Had one or two small issues through the years and they will sort you out while you wait and usually at no cost.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerrard For This Useful Post:

We have had a Geyserwise system for years (since the early days of loadshedding) and their back-up service is excellent. The system is user-friendly and relatively simple to programme. Can't comment on Geyserworx, don't know it.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend The Elon as it doesn't have the ability to be programed.
    Basic requirements for any controller should be:
    Minimum Temperature in the Morning
    Minimum Temperature in the Evening
    Maximum Temperature.

Unfortunately the Elon doesn't have any temperature sensing capability, only on/off from the thermostat.
    This doesn't allow it to do multiple temperature setpoints which is the best way to save energy.

I also haven't been able to find a reliable price. Would have a diffrent view if it Sub R2000 so you could install an SR81 to control it.
    I have also struggled to find a decent price. It has an overide switch that I think is manually controlled. But a geyserwize is only R900 .A simple db switch timer is only R200 I think.?Could that not be used if its a fairly cheap system.
    What do you think switches the thermostat off in the unit and what happens to power in a solar pv panel if its not used. Where does it go.?

Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend The Elon as it doesn't have the ability to be programed.<br>
    Basic requirements for any controller should be:<br>
    Minimum Temperature in the Morning<br>
    Minimum Temperature in the Evening<br>
    Maximum Temperature.<br>
    <br>
    Unfortunately the Elon doesn't have any temperature sensing capability, only on/off from the thermostat.<br>
    This doesn't allow it to do multiple temperature setpoints which is the best way to save energy.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    I have also struggled to find a decent price. It has an overide switch that I think is manually controlled. But a geyserwize is only R900 .A simple db switch timer is only R200 I think.?Could that not be used if its a fairly cheap system.&nbsp;<br>What do you think switches the thermostat off in the unit and what happens to power in a solar pv panel if its not used. Where does it go.?

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I have also struggled to find a decent price. It has an overide switch that I think is manually controlled. But a geyserwize is only R900 .A simple db switch timer is only R200 I think.?Could that not be used if its a fairly cheap system.
    What do you think switches the thermostat off in the unit and what happens to power in a solar pv panel if its not used. Where does it go.?
    Geyserwise vs Geyserworx we are talking PV kits.

Geyserwise PV kit is like R8 000
    Geyserworx PV kit it like R10 000
    The Elon 100 kit price is hard to find estimate 10k, some people on powerforum got quote 20k for everything including labour. So would ballpark it to be the same as others. Hope it is cheaper as other 2 have much better features.

So you are 10k in without PV panels.

With all these systems once the geyser as at temperature the PV is throttled down and not used. Hence why I would always recommend installing a grid-tie system so that you use all the PV power you can generate, obviously grid-tie systems don't work off grid but in that case I would rather have all PV go to Battery and have that system control the geyser. Rather have a cold shower than no power.

In the Elon 100 the thermostat is feed with a 12-14V DC signal that is feed back into the control board which does DC or AC heating.

In my opinion I would get a SOLiC 200 Geyser controller (R4200) and a Solis 3.6kW S6 Dual MPPT (R6000)
    You could then add a Geyserwise or SR81 if you would like more control in addition.

https://www.earthwiseproducts.co.uk/solic-200/

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaneyake For This Useful Post:

Geyserwise vs Geyserworx we are talking PV kits.

Geyserwise PV kit is like R8 000
    Geyserworx PV kit it like R10 000
    The Elon 100 kit price is hard to find estimate 10k, some people on powerforum got quote 20k for everything including labour. So would ballpark it to be the same as others. Hope it is cheaper as other 2 have much better features.

So you are 10k in without PV panels.

With all these systems once the geyser as at temperature the PV is throttled down and not used. Hence why I would always recommend installing a grid-tie system so that you use all the PV power you can generate, obviously grid-tie systems don't work off grid but in that case I would rather have all PV go to Battery and have that system control the geyser. Rather have a cold shower than no power.

In the Elon 100 the thermostat is feed with a 12-14V DC signal that is feed back into the control board which does DC or AC heating.

In my opinion I would get a SOLiC 200 Geyser controller (R4200) and a Solis 3.6kW S6 Dual MPPT (R6000)
    You could then add a Geyserwise or SR81 if you would like more control in addition.

https://www.earthwiseproducts.co.uk/solic-200/
    Great reply and just wonder why we don't see more people going the grid tied route. Even it it means having a 2nd grid tied inverter combined with a back up/true hybrid. They are a no sweat solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Great reply and just wonder why we don't see more people going the grid tied route. Even it it means having a 2nd grid tied inverter combined with a back up/true hybrid. They are a no sweat solution.

Yeah, I think it is because rules and regulations can be tricky. We have it streamlined for our clients but if you don't know the process can be challenging.

I would definitely recommend getting a hybrid system like Sunsyk or Victron rather than a separate backup system and grid-tie or a the very least a AC-coupled PV capable battery inverter which unfortunately excludes a lot of the budget inverters.

I quite like the Sunsyk inverters for people as you can run them as a grid-tie without batteries and add batteries at a later stage once you see the savings from the grid-tie. But 20k vs 6k for Solis Grid-Tie.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to shaneyake For This Useful Post:

I quite like the Sunsyk inverters for people as you can run them as a grid-tie without batteries and add batteries at a later stage once you see the savings from the grid-tie. But 20k vs 6k for Solis Grid-Tie.
    Yes I fully agree if one can spend the $ on a Sunsynk. Also my top pick. I just think a lot of members use solar for geyser power saving as testing the water using solar. I could be wrong.

Does anyone have a Geyerworx unit installed?
    I do. About 18 months now and very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
    I do. About 18 months now and very happy.
    Please post a pic of the control equipment.
    Tnx!

Please post a pic of the control equipment.
    Tnx!
    Only this control box. Included in the purchase is a thermometer which is installed in the place of the existing thermostat. Behind the slider is a fuse and isolator switch for the PV string. For setting and managing all timers and temperature set points you use the app. Name:  FB_IMG_1637990023368.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  57.4 KB

I am getting this one installed on Tuesday.

https://www.livestainable.co.za/prod...and-mountings/
    "If you spend most of your time in the fiction section, your life will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast