Headphone buying advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Headphone buying advice

We are selling and moving out of our rambling old house, and are moving into a flat in town and a house in a retirement resort. Both are considerably smaller and have neighbours considerably closer. I came to the realisation that for my wife's, and my future neighbour's sanity, I should get headphones for my TV.
    I am clueless. I'm very keen on wireless headphones, but am pretty (99.9%) convinced my TV doesn't support bluetooth. Extensive internet searches have lead me to a Philips Wireless TV headphone (model SHC 5200).
    I'm open to any advice or pointers.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Headphone buying advice

I am hardly an audiophile, but bought the Skullcandy Cassette and very happy with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

If youhave a tv that only has an 3.5mm audio jack takealot sels a bluetooth audio transmitter that can plug in there and allow bluetooth devices to connect
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whosthejman For This Useful Post:

I went through a similar exercise with my Dad a while ago.

The outputs on your TV will determine which route you need to go.

If your TV has a 3,5mm headphone jack, try the following:

- You can get away with a wired headset, plus a cable extension, but it can become a pain as it the cable becomes a hazard.
    - Get a 3,5mm to Bluetooth transmitter/receiver, plus a Bluetooth headset. I got a receiver/transmitter for my car at Cash Crusaders for about R250 a year or two ago.

In our case, the Smart TV (a Samsung) did not have Bluetooth, nor a 3,5mm headphone jack. It did however have an optical output. We got a Sennheiser optical to Bluetooth convertor, which we paired to a JBL headset. We bought it from New World in Menlyn for about R1 500 some time ago. Dad is as happy as punch.

We also tried to source RCA to Bluetooth convertors, but these proved nigh impossible to find.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
    2007 VW Caddy Life TDi
    2004 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
    1997 Citigolf 1.3

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OettingerTDi For This Useful Post:

I have a pair of these.

https://www.takealot.com/skullcandy-...s/PLID72167606

Very nice BT headphones. It does have an option to also plug in a wire if needed.

If your TV does not support BT, then I guess you will have to get a 3.5mm headphone jack cable (long one).

https://www.soundxshop.co.za/product...ii-headphones/ if you don't want to spend too much
    https://www.soundxshop.co.za/product...195-headphone/ and these if you can afford it.

My parents have the first one and they are really happy with it - my mother can work in the kitchen or outside and it still picks up the signal. Sound quality is really good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sias For This Useful Post:

In terms of the type of earphones I would go over-ear for this purpose. Stretch the budget and get noise canceling while you are on it. Oh and Bluetooth for the win, nobody wants the hassle of cables. When I bought JBL offered food value

Wow gents,
    Solid advice so far. Really appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sias View Post
    https://www.soundxshop.co.za/product...ii-headphones/ if you don't want to spend too much
    https://www.soundxshop.co.za/product...195-headphone/ and these if you can afford it.

My parents have the first one and they are really happy with it - my mother can work in the kitchen or outside and it still picks up the signal. Sound quality is really good.
    I bought this exact model a few weeks ago. It has fantastic sound quality, you really pick up sounds that you don't hear on the home theater speakers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sias View Post

I like your 1st option. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    I bought this exact model a few weeks ago. It has fantastic sound quality, you really pick up sounds that you don't hear on the home theater speakers.
    Thanks for this.

I bought a set of Bose QC35 (should have bought them sooner!)

Initially, they were bought just for use while travelling. Now, they get used daily, videos, movies, music, podcasts, I even use them to make/receive calls.

If your TV doesn’t have Bluetooth, they can be used wired, or you can buy a dongle at takealot. I have a dongle in my car for this reason.

Chris Greyling
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

I don't have a bluetooth option so I bought wireless headphones. You can connect them with a small headphone jack to your TV or with RCA to headphone jack to any RCA output on the TV
    or in my case to the amp which is connected to the decoder via RCA. The TV is connected via HDMI to the decoder.

I bought Sennheiser HDR175 headphones at around R4.5k and the sound quality is brilliant, both for TV or Hi Fi.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

We have years old wireless head phones. They work fine but you have to face the sender unit. I originally bought them for SWAMBO when she was watching TV in the bedroom. Now they are at the cottage, which is open plan. Cheap solution if they are still available.

With my questionable hearing I bought pair of these:
    https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-wh-10...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

And small BlueTooth sender unit. Very good solution. Now I bought the 2nd set but xm4. SWAMBO did get the XM3. No real difference between the two except you get XM3 cheaper.

In all of these solutions is if you can get BlueTooth sender unit that works on two sets of headphones. Same applies with the wireless. I assume the wireless sender is OK with two but you may have to buy two full units - have to be investigated.

When I was buying the first set there were no 2 channel BlueTooth sender units in ZA. Now in UK there were many to select.

I have used noise cancelling in an airplane, driving noisy Toyota and for meetings.

My son has these:
    https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-wf-10...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

He has had over the ear more than one set but he says these are the best.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Just be prepared for a bit of audio lag with Bluetooth, I know that Senheiser have wireless TV headphones and they or a long extention lead may be better if you can't get used to the lag.
    Last edited by Chingha; 2021/11/22 at 01:09 PM.

Last edited by Chingha; 2021/11/22 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks for all the input.
    I made an "in-store" purchase today. Went for the Philips. Reason was I could get a demo as well as a tutorial on how to connect. Us slightely older folk can sometimes struggle with stuff other people can do intuitively.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Thanks for all the input.
    I made an "in-store" purchase today. Went for the Philips. Reason was I could get a demo as well as a tutorial on how to connect. Us slightely older folk can sometimes struggle with stuff other people can do intuitively.
    That's why they invented teenagers. Borrow one while they still know everything. I haven't set up a new phone in years. I let a teenager do it and then figure it out at my leisure.

Work smhata. Not hardha
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Is TV muted when headphones are active?

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Is TV muted when headphones are active?
    My TV is non bluetooth, but I connect my BT headphones to the FireStick, which mutes automatically, would presume TV is the same when your change the audio destination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast